Hanna Alk Checker Inconsistency

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get higher readings with both the RedSea& Selifert tests. Which is the most accurate? I just don't know how get a definitive reading. I will be hard pressed to give up my Hanna though.It's so convenient to use. A few points is no big deal to me but from 7 to 8 is way too much ! This is a good thread . We need more people to opine !

Last edited:

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your goal is to try to get very consistent water parameters, especially through the use of dosers, then it seems to me that the most important factor is accurate water tests. Pretty sure that the Hanna tests are the ones that are off, in this case, because a DKH of 6.7 seems too low to keep sps, clams and many of the other inhabitants of my tank healthy and growing. Have ordered a water test so we will see but not very happy to have to go through all of this time and expense.

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna DKH has always read 1.0 lower than my Salifert and that is with multiple reagents. Chalked it up to the Salifert being high but after researching this topic it may in fact be that the Hanna is low. Have an ATI ICP on order so hopefully that will be the deciding factor.

Stickboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Hanna seems to be all over the place sometimes for me, normally if I get a off reading I just re clean the vials and wait and test again till I get a correct number.but I like how easy they are to use.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In comparing my Hanna, Salifert and Red Sea to the Hach Titralab AT 1000 alkalinity tester at work I found the Hanna to be .7 high consistently and both the Salifert and Red Sea 1.2 high. These were done 6 months ago and again today using fresh 3 point calibration curve @ 4, 7 and 10 ph. Honestly I wouldn’t put a lot of faith in any hobbyist grade test kit being accurate but it shouldn’t matter as long as the results are consistent. FWIW the Hanna should be the most accurate but the vial placement, cleaning etc can skew results quite a bit. As long as you find a good test that gives repeatable results you should be ok.

Last edited:

badfinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also water measured to 10ml exactly. I use a 12ml syringe filled to 10ml, and get fairly accurate (to each other) results from new reagents.

Dramad1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my hanna kits but do carry salifert and red sea kits to cross check once a month, run an average when running all 3 test

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did my usual alk reading the morning. Yesterdays was 7.8. This morning I got 9.2, so I checked a second time I got 7.1. Both vials looked identical colors.

That's a lot of variation. The values had been steady before, so what gives to get that kind of swing with maybe a minute apart this morning?

Thank you for your feedback, you can always contact [email protected] for any concerns or problems with your Hanna products.

Here are some important tips for the Hanna Alkalinity Checkers.

•Always rinse your cuvettes with RODI water after each test and with saltwater sample before a new test is preformed to prevent unintended dilution of sample.

•The alkalinity reagent is very pH sensitive and any saltwater or outside contaminants can alter the pH of the reagent causing inaccurate results. Make sure no saltwater or other contaminants enter your reagent bottle and if questionable results are obtained open a fresh reagent and preform multiple tests to confirm results.

•Always use the new syringe and tip provided with each new reagent. Do not use the old syringes/tips for new reagent bottles.

•Using a syringe with dried or crusty reagent on its tip is not ideal and syringes should be cleaned with RODI water periodically to prevent corrosion.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back