Hanna Calcium HI758 100uL pipette worth adding?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hanna Salinity meter I got a month ago and wanted to try other meters. I purchased a Hanna checker HI758 calcium meter used here on reef2reef for fun. (I measure my calcium with a redsea titration test kit). The checker is an older one with two 1ml syringes and tips. Is the 100uL pipette worth adding?

As did others I got readings all over the map at first. I have been able to get them closer to the results of my redsea tests by replacing the reagent, replacing the 1ml syringes with new ones (I think they were dried out), education etc. Today I even got two of them to be within 3ppm of my other tests but I still used 3 tests. The price point per test is VERY high ( about $1 per test vs $.25). My question is: Is the 100ul pipette worth adding? The cost is about $25 for a generic one and it really drives the total cost up. I wanted to make sure it will generate more consistent results ? I would LOVE to be able to use just the hanna tests and feel comfortable with the results. Even more so with one that is known to be challenging at first.

Once again any help is appreciated.

I just read another post and another thing I want to try is the steamed distilled water for cleaning, testing, storing etc. My RODI is new with 0 TDS (tested) but I could get contamination is SO many places I am sure.

Terry

Last edited:

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hanna Salinity meter I got a month ago and wanted to try other meters. I purchased a Hanna checker HI758 calcium meter used here on reef2reef for fun. (I measure my calcium with a redsea titration test kit). The checker is an older one with two 1ml syringes and tips. Is the 100u pipette worth adding?

As did others I got readings all over the map at first. I have been able to get them closer to the results of my redsea tests by replacing the reagent, replacing the 1ml syringes with new ones (I think they were dried out), education etc. Today I even got two of them to be within 3ppm of my other tests but I still used 3 tests. The price point per test is VERY high ( about $1 per test vs $.25). My question is: Is the 100u pipette worth adding? The cost is about $25 for a generic one and it really drives the total cost up. I wanted to make sure it will generate more consistent results ? I would LOVE to be able to use just the hanna tests and feel comfortable with the results. Even more so with one that is known to be challenging at first.

Once again any help is appreciated.

I just read another post and another thing I want to try is the steamed distilled water for cleaning, testing, storing etc. My RODI is new with 0 TDS (tested) but I could get contamination is SO many places I am sure.

Terry

I love my Hanna checker and if you follow the instructions exactly, you will get consistent results. As long as you are getting consistent draws of sample water, I dont see a reason to buy the pipette but it does make it very easy to get the right amount every time.

My tips for getting consistent readings would be use a glasses cleaning cloth to wipe the vial before putting it into checker and try to not touch glass after C1 reading. When filling to 10ml line, remember the bottom of the meniscus is what should be at the line. If you get inconsistent results, also try swapping to a different vial, this worked for me.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hanna checker and if you follow the instructions exactly, you will get consistent results. I'm not sure why you would need the pipette though. It's only used to fill the vial to the 10ml line, at least in the kit I have.

My tips for getting consistent readings would be use a glasses cleaning cloth to wipe the vial before putting it into checker and try to not touch glass after C1 reading. When filling to 10ml line, remember the bottom of the meniscus is what should be at the line. If you get inconsistent results, also try swapping to a different vial, this worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I am referring to The mini pipette for adding the .1 ml of sample water from your tank.

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I am referring to The mini pipette for adding the .1 ml of sample water from your tank.

I realized that after and edited my post. I feel like as long as you're getting .1ml of sample consistently and accurately, I really dont see a point in it other than convenience. Personally, I don't like that theres not a mark on the tip for reference to make sure you're pulling the same amount every time. You pretty much rely on the pipette to be consistent and if you push too hard you will pull too much.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I think I’m done playing with it anyway.

On a positive note it changed how I test and clean. That should improve the accuracy of all my testing.

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited:
OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: opps wrong post but at least it is relevant so I will leave it.

Ok I
May flip flop

I decided to test again today using the methods I setup previous tests. I got a spot on test (last 4 or 5 have been) but in about half the time it took me to do the RedSea titration test. A quick easy to reproduce test is worth the cost difference to me.

My test setup
  1. Cuvette is cleaned with vinegar and water then rinsed in steam distilled water.
  2. Cuvette is fully dry before testing. (made a crude drying rack, cuvette is off the wood)
  3. I used a dedicated syringe for distilled water to dilute the reagent.
  4. I used a dedicated syringes for reagent and for sample water (marked with R and S)

Testing
  1. I cut the packet on the line forming the funnel when opened (works like a champ)
  2. Make sure cuvette is fingerprint, scratch, bubble and debris free when filled and before putting into tester.
  3. Put the 10ml mark forward
  4. Run test as instructed
Lets see if I can get accurate results going forward. If it is quick and close I will be happy again.
50F6C395-67DA-45B4-AECD-778BE6209C96.jpeg

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 100ul syringe is absolutely worth it. I think I got my glass one on ebay for $10.
It makes the test very consistent. I have no idea why Hanna did not offer them in an advance kit version, even if it meant jacking up the price by an extra $10 dollars.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 100 µL pipette has been included in the revised sku of the calcium checker for at least a year.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back