Hanna checker ammonia?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bougnt the new hanna checker for ammonia and i tested twice and its showing me 0.26 should i be concerned? My tank is over a month old. And i have 6 corals in there. And im kinda concerned.

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your profile says you joined in 2014 and you're dealing with ammonia? That doesn't make sense.

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries about a long story, friend! Welcome back to the hobby!

You mentioned that your tank is about a month old and has ammonia showing at 0.26. Personally, I wouldn't panic.

But, how did you cycle your tank? Do you have live rock or dry rock? What additives?

You mentioned 6 corals. How long ago did you add them? What nutrients do you have available? (If you know)

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries about a long story, friend! Welcome back to the hobby!

You mentioned that your tank is about a month old and has ammonia showing at 0.26. Personally, I wouldn't panic.

But, how did you cycle your tank? Do you have live rock or dry rock? What additives?

You mentioned 6 corals. How long ago did you add them? What nutrients do you have available? (If you know)
I personally cycled that tank with fritz ammonia, and bacteria took around 6-7 weeks to cycle. And i monitored the process everyday. I added my corals 3 weeks ago. And i had an issue with nitrients. My nitrate dropping from 10 to 9 and phosphate is 0 as well. I turned off the skimmer to get them back on but i couldnt. My tank is 36 gallon display and 18 gallon sump. I have 1 blenny 2 clowns, and 1 royalla gamma, and a jawfish i thought everything was going perfectly if i didnt buy that hanna ammonia checker to check our of curiosity

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a long story joined and left the hobby so many times due to healthy issues and moving countried im not an expert.
I see. I'm certainly no expert, but my suggestion is give it time and your bacterial population will build up to handle the ammonia, so if your livestock is doing ok I wouldn't sweat the numbers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back