Hanna checker: Phosphate ULR vs LR

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since I can't read the color difference to well on my test kit for phosphate, I figured it was time to get a hanna checker. I see the two best ones for me are the ULR and LR but I don't know which one to get. I know that maintaining a reef tank in the ULR checker's testing range is probably best, but I don't have corals yet (but I'm not afraid to try to keep those levels for the near future). Also I hear that there are going to be swings in phosphate during my first year which would mean the LR is most likely better for that. So which one do you think I should get? Thank you for the help.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I still would go with Hanna Phosphate ULR since it can read up to 0.90ppm. It is more useful than Phosphate LR as many reefers do not have above 0.9 phosphates.

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also went with the ULR. Generally in a reef tank .9 is still really high IMO. About what is your tanks reading (as best you can tell) with your current test kit? If it's never been as high as or close to .9 then I'd recommend the ULR.

Upvote 0

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got my Phosphates down from 10+ ppm to 2 ppm in my FOWLR (using a Sulphur Bio-Denitrator), but obviously your corals won't be swimming in MY pond. (Lol :D ) So I agree that for a reef tank, go with the URL.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also went with the ULR. Generally in a reef tank .9 is still really high IMO. About what is your tanks reading (as best you can tell) with your current test kit? If it's never been as high as or close to .9 then I'd recommend the ULR.
It's about .5 to 0 from what I can tell, the colors are almost the same for both though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still would go with Hanna Phosphate ULR since it can read up to 0.90ppm. It is more useful than Phosphate LR as many reefers do not have above 0.9 phosphates.
Ohh I though the ULR was .09 to 0. But now that I know that the ULR phosphorus exists aswell and the ULR phosphate.

Upvote 0

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ULR phosphorous. It is a bit more sensitive than the ulr phosphate detector. You just have to convert the results. A reading of “10” is about .03 ppm.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ULR phosphorous. It is a bit more sensitive than the ulr phosphate detector. You just have to convert the results. A reading of “10” is about .03 ppm.
Yeah I saw that one, isn't it for super low phosphates?

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back