Hanna Checkers... HI775 v HI755

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been checking my Alkalinity with an API test kit and I want to upgrade to a Hanna checker as it seems more accurate.

My friend has given me his Hanna Checker as he no longer needs it.
However, the checker is the HI775 which is a FRESHWATER Alkalinity Colorimeter.
I did try it and it gave me a 8.57dKH reading which seemed about right based on my salt and dosing.

If I got the HI755 SALTWATER Alkalinity Colorimeter and tested would the reading be very different?

I have to assume that there are differences in the meters, otherwise there wouldn't be two different types.
Does anyone know what the differences are?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The freshwater checker won’t give proper reading on saltwater. The tds is different and will mess with the meter. Alk is probably the most important parameter to check for so I highly recommend getting a Hanna Dkh colorimeter.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to what was said above. People try using the iron checker too and I see it sold at saltwater aquarium stores but it cannot be used on saltwater. All of their freshwater checkers are for freshwater only. You're in luck though my friend. I have two Alkalinity checkers. I would be happy to sell you my extra one. $35 plus shipping and it's yours. It's practically brand new. You would need to buy the re-agent for it though.

IMG_20200801_111021.jpg IMG_20200801_111002.jpg IMG_20200801_110951.jpg

Last edited:

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the advice and the offer.
I actually picked up a Saltwater Alk Tester today as well as a Phosphate checker.
Im going to test my water with both versions of the Alk tester and see how the results differ :)
No problem! Good idea. I'm curious, let us know. & good call on the Phosphate checker too!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, let us know. I’m wondering if the reagents are the only difference. I priced them once and the freshwater reagents were almost double the cost of the saltwater

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, let us know. I’m wondering if the reagents are the only difference. I priced them once and the freshwater reagents were almost double the cost of the saltwater
Hey you do think the reagent in the Hanna is the same as it is in the RedSea Alk test kit? I was always wondering if I could use that cuz i have a ton left!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey you do think the reagent in the Hanna is the same as it is in the RedSea Alk test kit? I was always wondering if I could use that cuz i have a ton left!

I have no idea. Never used the Red Sea kit. I've only used the API kit for alkalinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It would be a remarkable coincidence if the concentration of the acid used was the same.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a remarkable coincidence if the concentration of the acid used was the same.
So it sounds like the chances are probably not. I will give a shot though and test with both reagents and see if it unbelievably comes out the same. Lol Thanks Randy. I'll let ya know.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it sounds like the chances are probably not. I will give a shot though and test with both reagents and see if it unbelievably comes out the same. Lol Thanks Randy. I'll let ya know.

I think you are just as likely to be hit by a flying fish in your back yard. lol

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a test today with both of my testers.

The Freshwater tester (775) produced a result of 160ppm which is (160 * 0.056) 8.96 dKH
The Marine tester (772) produced a result of 8.8 dKH

I guess the difference between the two readings is minimal. Provided that both checkers are actually testing for the same parameter.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a test today with both of my testers.

The Freshwater tester (775) produced a result of 160ppm which is (160 * 0.056) 8.96 dKH
The Marine tester (772) produced a result of 8.8 dKH

I guess the difference between the two readings is minimal. Provided that both checkers are actually testing for the same parameter.
I was trying to do the same but in my case for the opposite side, I wanted to check my alkalinity on my freshwater tank but I only have the Saltwater edition.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back