Hanna Digital Tests

TheNewGuyHere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -

I am a bit color blind and having a really hard time with both API tests and salifert tests. I saw these hanna digital tests online and want to know if they are good enough to test. I have both salt water and freshwater 30 gallon tanks and hoping to use these tests for both.

I currently test for salinity, ammonia, nitrate, calcium, magnesium and alkalinity. Should I be testing for more?

Thanks!!!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -

I am a bit color blind and having a really hard time with both API tests and salifert tests. I saw these hanna digital tests online and want to know if they are good enough to test. I have both salt water and freshwater 30 gallon tanks and hoping to use these tests for both.

I currently test for salinity, ammonia, nitrate, calcium, magnesium and alkalinity. Should I be testing for more?

Thanks!!!
Here are my go to tests, years and years on end weekly.
Sorry, don’t know freshwater at all.
Hanna best for Alk, Phosphorus and Nitrate.
Salifert best for MG, CA, Iodine and Stronium.
So easy to do and read.
66D5C021-F498-4E9D-88EC-3A7D25A6B337.jpeg

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna is good for ALK and phosphorous, It has a good reputation with nitrate.

I have heard that it has problems with calcium and magnesium because the samples are diluted a fair bit which can magnify small errors.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -

Thanks!!!
Depends on what you want to test on a regular basis. Personally I do alkalinity on a regular basis. Calcium every so often since I use All for Reef as my alk/cal supplement. I will test nitrate/mag/phosphate ever few months. I use the handheld hanna for alk/cal. Note a lot of people have issues with the alk test also. I can open 2 new bottles of the alk regent and it can be off between the 2. I haven't seen anything major but if you are looking to be exact then I don't think these are the way to go. Most people, me included, go for being consistent in their parameters. I thought the hanna nitrate kit was just too complicated. I stuck with my regular kit. Also have a regular kit for mag since I don't test very often. I have the old hanna phosphate tester which I still use instead of switching to the smaller unit.

Note - some of the hanna kits are specific to the water type so 1 tester can't do freshwater and saltwater. I haven't tested it yet, but I think the testers are the same, just the regent is different.

Also I use the hanna handheld tester for salinity. It seems to be hit or miss with getting a good unit. I've had mine for 2 years and it always test the same as my other electronic tester.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have heard that it has problems with calcium and magnesium because the samples are diluted a fair bit which can magnify small errors.
Pretty sure they fixed the MAG checker? It's just one dry sachet like the nitrate, or phosphate tests.

Calcium I agree with, one drop in either direction can give wildly different results.

I use the ALK, nitrate, and ULR phosphorus.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the alk, calcium, and nitrate hr. They all work with consistent results. They have to be used exactly as the instructions say. The calcium test is consistent as long as you use rodi water, and use the .01 ml pipette correctly. There are two detents in the button for a reason. Stop at the first detent when drawing tank water sample, and press to second detent when filling cuvette. Videos are on YouTube by Hanna for proper usage. I like them much better than guessing colors with the other kits.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the calcium errors come from not using distilled water for one step (rather than RODI that most will use).

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the calcium errors come from not using distilled water for one step (rather than RODI that most will use).
I have heard that as well, but it is good for me with rodi. I use a separate cation, anion, and a mixed bed though.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that as well, but it is good for me with rodi. I use a separate cation, anion, and a mixed bed though.

I am not sure if it was a thread here that Hanna stated it or on their website but somewhere they stated RODI can provide inaccurate results (not saying your results are but rather just referring to my post)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back