Hanna EC/TDS Dist 5 Question

Trommell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I am super new to reefing and I am setting up my first aquarium. I have a Proclear 200 v2. Everything is set up at this point and I am mixing my first batch of saltwater. I am using the Red Sea blue bucket salt. I have measured off 30 gallons of RO/DI water in a 44g brute trash can and calculated that I would need roughly 15 cups of salt. I have added 10 cups to the 30 gallons with a pump mixing the water. At this point I busted out my Hanna EC/TDS Dist 5 meter the LFS sold me when I asked for a Hanna Salinity tester. I have calibrated the meter with the solution and looks to be calibrating correctly but when I test my water it maxes out the readings possible on the Hanna at 3999 μS/cm.

Did I make poison or is this meter off or does this meter work for this at all?

(note I went with the Hanna rather than a standard refractometer because I am going to be using Apex to monitor salinity which I have come to understand is actually measuring EC so opted to test the same in my salt mix)

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That meter is for testing fresh water. Max of 2000 tds or 3999ms. I believe the meter you are looking for is the Salinity checker HI 98319.

Keep that one to test your RODi. Excellent meter for that application.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back