Hanna HR Checker? Anybody recommend this?

becky46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody gotten a chance to use the Hanna Nitrate HR checker? Would you recommend it?

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for those who have the new one. I have both the Hanna HI781 LR Nitrate tester and now the Hanna HI782 HR nitrate tester.

A bit of back round information. I have a 220g Mixed reef and a wife that loves her fish. (this is an important point) She tends to feed them because they "look hungry". The point is I have a tough time controlling Nitrates. (another topic)

I have been using the Hanna 781 LR tester with the dilution method. (1ml tank water and 9ml of fresh nitrate free water) then multiplying the resulting test by 10 to arrive at a ppm nitrate reading. this has resulted in fairly consistent readings of around 25 ppm for several weeks. The dilution test is a bit of a PIA so I decided to buy the new Hanna hi782 HR tester. a much easier test only involves 1 reagent and a simple and quick test.

Here is the problem the LR dilution test results are 25ppm the HR tester results are 47.5 ppm I also have the sailfert test but it reads a color higher than 25 but less than 50 with the color being closer to 25. I just bought the HR tester from BRS and am thinking of returning it for a new kit but i really don't know that that is the issue. Anyone have any ideas?

additional information. I bought the "standard" for the LR checker and the readings were within the correct range. I don't have the standard for the HR tester so I really don't know if it is correct

Last edited:

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, but it currently works out at $5 per test ($50 for the checker with 10 reagents) and then you have to throw it in the trash, because you can’t get any more reagents.

Tongue in cheek but it’s not much use without the reagents.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for those who have the new one. I have both the Hanna HI781 LR Nitrate tester and now the Hanna HI782 HR nitrate tester.

A bit of back round information. I have a 220g Mixed reef and a wife that loves her fish. (this is an important point) She tends to feed them because they "look hungry". The point is I have a tough time controlling Nitrates. (another topic)

I have been using the Hanna 781 LR tester with the dilution method. (1ml tank water and 9ml of fresh nitrate free water) then multiplying the resulting test by 10 to arrive at a ppm nitrate reading. this has resulted in fairly consistent readings of around 25 ppm for several weeks. The dilution test is a bit of a PIA so I decided to buy the new Hanna hi782 HR tester. a much easier test only involves 1 reagent and a simple and quick test.

Here is the problem the LR dilution test results are 25ppm the HR tester results are 47.5 ppm I also have the sailfert test but it reads a color higher than 25 but less than 50 with the color being closer to 25. I just bought the HR tester from BRS and am thinking of returning it for a new kit but i really don't know that that is the issue. Anyone have any ideas?

additional information. I bought the "standard" for the LR checker and the readings were within the correct range. I don't have the standard for the HR tester so I really don't know if it is correct
So what you are saying is you think the HR checker is the one that's reading off from the actual value? I use the NYOS nitrate test kit so I can't comment on the Salifert. I find it hard to tell much on these color kits when getting up beyond 10-15ppm.. Seems like a guessing game if it's closer to 25 or 50 which is a pretty wide range. I guess the other question is if really matters much anyway if it's closer to 25 or 50.

My question for anyone that has used the HR checker.. how does it fair when your nitrates are around the 5-10 range? I know it says 0-75ppm but it also has a 2ppm error so it could be reading 2 and actually be 0 or reading 0 and be 2...
So in actuality it would say its range is 3ppm +

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
To be fair, whilst I have really lost any respect for Hanna, the checker does appear to do what it is supposed to.

If you’re targeting a value of less than 3 then maybe you’re better off with the LR checker. I am aiming for more than 5 and I’m currently sitting between 5 and 10; the few tests I’ve done with it so far have read between 5 and 10. That’s good enough for me.

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in a water sample last month for ATI ICP test and at the same time I also did my Hana PO4, HR NO3, Alk colorimeter test.

My Hana NO3 test showed NO3 at 19.8.
My ATI ICP NO3 test result was 19.19.

As long as I keep my Hana glass cuvettes clean, I think I get pretty accurate results whenever I test.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, whilst I have really lost any respect for Hanna, the checker does appear to do what it is supposed to.

If you’re targeting a value of less than 3 then maybe you’re better off with the LR checker. I am aiming for more than 5 and I’m currently sitting between 5 and 10; the few tests I’ve done with it so far have read between 5 and 10. That’s good enough for me.
Generally I try to keep around 5-10 also, currently running under 5 though so probably good enough to know I am low and need to up feeding or tweak the refugium or something. I don't like the idea of all the steps for the LR one and then having to do some dilution if I am over 5.

Probably go for the HR one since I have my BRS $off card that needs to be used soon. Price/test is about the same as the NYOS and it would do away with the crappy NYOS dropper bottle.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hanna HR & LR, Tropic Marin Pro and Nyos. The Hanna HR reads a few points higher than Nyos. When I first got it I tested it against the others and Nyos looked like 12 and Hanna HR was 14.7 the first time and 14.6 the second. The Tropic Marin Pro was just slightly higher than the Hanna HR at what looked like a little more than 15. That works for me.

I had terrible luck with the dilution method for the Hanna LR. I believe it read around 11. (tested at the same time) It's great for anything under 5 ppm, if you need to keep nitrates in that range or keep them from bottoming out.

I managed to get a couple reagents direct from Hanna before they ran dry. Should be a little while but I hope they figure it out before I need more. ;Nailbiting It's no more than a paper weight without reagents!

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New update!

I ordered the Hanna Nitrate HR standard directly from Hanna. It should help clarify if the new checker is the issue or not. I have the standard for the LR checker but the process for the dilution method leaves a lot of room for errors. Hopefully, I can get to the bottom of the issue and end up with some readings that I can trust.

On a positive note I would like to give Hanna a thumbs up for processing my order and shipping it out in less than 12 hours. The standard is supposed to be delivered Friday. I will post results as soon as I do the test

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both the HR and LR nitrate checkers and standards for each. both checkers read within range with the standards but when i do the dilution test with the LR checker I i get low readings. I am sure it is in the dilution process but my results are very repeatable so if I'm doing it wrong I'm doing it the same wrong each time and it is always about 10 ppm low when using the LR dilution method. I really wish I could say why but I stick with the HR checker and seem to have good results.

Bonus is Hanna has the HR reagents in stock as well as Saltwater.com

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back