Hanna HR Nitrate Checker - How to dilute if over 75ppm?

adamf83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Hanna HR Nitrate checker and my first test came out flashing 75ppm, so outside of what the device can read. The instructions say to dilute the sample and repeat, but it doesn’t say by how much.

Has anyone ever done this in order to get an accurate reading?

Neil Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had to dilute 2ml tank water, 8ml rodi to get a reading. Came out to 41.2, multiplied by 5 and can't see how that is correct. How can I have 212 ppm NO3 and still have anything alive? Have to be doing something wrong.

First thought was perhaps I reversed the dilution. That would give me around 50 but then the tester would have read it rather than blinking 75.0.

Heading to the LFS. Not loving the hanna. Grrrr

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its over 75 then I would not worry about diluting it, I would first try to get it down so it will read properly.

I also have a HR Hanna and never read where it said to dilute it. Again, I would try to get it lower. I also pegged out my Hanna initially, buy thru some water changes I was able to start to get it to read below 75.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.0%
Back