Hanna Marine Ammonia Checker Not Working

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My checker is only a couple months ago. I get a "L. Lo" flashing error after zeroing from C1. I've changed the battery and I've tried multiple different vials.

I've emailed the company through their website. I send a message to an email I saw on another thread ( [email protected]) and I've send a message to what I believe is the Hanna representative on Reef2Reef.

Any ideas on how I can reach the company regarding this?

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I found this on another thread

Attachments

• D77C9074-984B-41AB-BEC4-E613419FEBED.png
    D77C9074-984B-41AB-BEC4-E613419FEBED.png
    200.4 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
D

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the op is stating that the error comes when calibrating the checker before adding and reactant.
Correct. Add tank water. Add a reagent. Then calibrate. Then add another reagent wait 15 minutes and it gives a result. The problem is at the baseline set prior to adding the last reagent.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Add tank water. Add a reagent. Then calibrate. Then add another reagent wait 15 minutes and it gives a result. The problem is at the baseline set prior to adding the last reagent.
Is the sample crystal clear?

OP
OP
D

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the sample crystal clear?
The tank water is clear. When I add the first reagent (18 drops), it turns to a dark color because the reagent looks almost black. Your question has me questioning whether or not I'm using the correct liquid reagent first or not. Slightly embarrassing. I'll check my stuff later tonight again. I suspect that I have switched the liquid reagents around.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank water is clear. When I add the first reagent (18 drops), it turns to a dark color because the reagent looks almost black. Your question has me questioning whether or not I'm using the correct liquid reagent first or not. Slightly embarrassing. I'll check my stuff later tonight again. I suspect that I have switched the liquid reagents around.
Hopefully you’ve found the answer. The calibration step, C1, is typically colorless or barely a tint.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank water is clear. When I add the first reagent (18 drops), it turns to a dark color because the reagent looks almost black.
I pulled out my old hanna ammonia test a few days ago and the reagent had discolored significantly to very dark in the months I haven't used it. Adding it to a cuvette gives a dark brown like what you are describing.
I wonder if your reagents may be old or have been previously opened.
(Maybe hanna shoulda put those reagents in packets too, like their others. )

OP
OP
D

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubled checked what I'm doing and I'm using the correct reagent bottle first. It's a dark brown/black color.

Hanna finally got back to me and said that the reagent is likely bad and will be sending me new supplies.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubled checked what I'm doing and I'm using the correct reagent bottle first. It's a dark brown/black color.

Hanna finally got back to me and said that the reagent is likely bad and will be sending me new supplies.
The same thing happened to me. When I bought the kit, everything worked well with the drops and reagents in the kit. I ordered a refill kit, but nothing worked; everything turned brown and wouldn't calibrate. I also received the L.LO error. I emailed Hanna a few times and never got a reply. I figured I got a bad batch of Reagent. So I went online, and all the Reagent was out of stock for months. A couple of weeks ago, I saw everyone now has the Reagent set in stock, so I ordered it and got something different from what I had. Now the A and B reagents are powder instead of drops. Now there is a big bottle of Reagent C with a 1ML tip and syringe in the kit. I cross-checked the numbers, got the suitable refill kit, etc. They all match up with the HI784 Testing Device. Now I am trying to figure out how to use it. When I searched Hanna's site, it still had the instructions and pictures for the old reagent refill set. I guess I will have to wait until someone figures it out or Hanna updates their site. I emailed Hanna again this morning, but I do not expect them to respond as usual.

Here is a picture of the new refill set on the left and the original testing kit on the right.
IMG_1135.jpeg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the new instructions.
Reagent A liquid gets 1.00mL
B and C are a packet.

Attachments

• IST784_12_22.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 70
OP
OP
D

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing happened to me. When I bought the kit, everything worked well with the drops and reagents in the kit. I ordered a refill kit, but nothing worked; everything turned brown and wouldn't calibrate. I also received the L.LO error. I emailed Hanna a few times and never got a reply. I figured I got a bad batch of Reagent. So I went online, and all the Reagent was out of stock for months. A couple of weeks ago, I saw everyone now has the Reagent set in stock, so I ordered it and got something different from what I had. Now the A and B reagents are powder instead of drops. Now there is a big bottle of Reagent C with a 1ML tip and syringe in the kit. I cross-checked the numbers, got the suitable refill kit, etc. They all match up with the HI784 Testing Device. Now I am trying to figure out how to use it. When I searched Hanna's site, it still had the instructions and pictures for the old reagent refill set. I guess I will have to wait until someone figures it out or Hanna updates their site. I emailed Hanna again this morning, but I do not expect them to respond as usual.

Here is a picture of the new refill set on the left and the original testing kit on the right.
IMG_1135.jpeg
@taricha Beat me too it but here are the instructions from the single card.
Hanna Marine Ammonia Side 1.jpg
Hanna Marine Ammonia Side 2.jpg

laughing tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post but I just wanted to give the solution, I just picked up a reagent refill kit for a recently purchased checker. The box was expiring in April 2024 (writing on 3/26/2024, what FLS does even sell that to you), and noticed that instead of 2 powders and 1 bottle this reagent kit had 2 bottles and 1 powder. The sample instantly turned dark brown. I called Hanna and the situation is that the reagent kits with the 2 bottles and 1 kit have been discontinued because of the dark brown issue, and anyone who buys a kit should be looking for the one with 2 powders and one dark colored bottle for reagent A with a blue screw top. Hanna is shipping me a new kit but it has to go UPS ground because it's toxic which is supremely annoying given that I am out of reagent A and need it today.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back