Hanna Marine Magnesium checker

Alfredomeinhardt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the new Hanna Marine Magnesium checker and I try it three time comparing it with the salifert test I used to do.

every time I used the Hanna checker my magnesium was above 1800 while when I use the Salifert that same time it is 1350.

Has anybody had experience with this new Checker from Hanna?? I might be doing something wrong but I am following the instructions to the letter and I don’t know why the huge difference.
Thanks.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody has been having this issue, they came out like that and everybody has been getting high readings. Actually sucks reading this because I've seen people fairly often complain about this. You're not alone though which should be comforting. I'm pretty sure every single Hanna Mag checker is reading high.

Lots of people in the comments section of this YouTube video complain about the same issue, and Sam Parker the YouTuber references the issue as well in the video.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the new Hanna Marine Magnesium checker and I try it three time comparing it with the salifert test I used to do.

every time I used the Hanna checker my magnesium was above 1800 while when I use the Salifert that same time it is 1350.

Has anybody had experience with this new Checker from Hanna?? I might be doing something wrong but I am following the instructions to the letter and I don’t know why the huge difference.
Thanks.
Welcome to the party

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They didn’t recall them, they just said they were replacing the reagent because it quickly degrades with the raw material they used for this batch. Nothing wrong with the actual checkers themselves, just the chemicals in the boxes that came with the checkers. Fill out the form with your info and serial number and wait for hanna to mail your new reagent and pray that is solves the issue!

OP
OP
Alfredomeinhardt

Alfredomeinhardt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I already fill out the form with Hanna.

I bought extra re-agent on amazon. Do you know how do I know if that re-agent belongs to the bad batch or the good one??

I don't want to open it in case I have to return it.

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the measurement inaccuracy, did anyone notice that the nozzle on the syringe sucks air?
There is a piece of silicone tube in the nozzle, which is not tight enough when I put it on the syringe, and when I try to draw reagent into the nozzle, some air comes through and as a result, less than 1ml of reagent is drawn into the nozzle. Moreover, when I remove the tip from the bottle, the nozzle starts to drip reagent due to air leak. I had to put some thick grease on the syringe to be able to do the test - but that is extremely unreliable. This is probably due to the nature of the reagent as I tried to use another syringe and nozzle that came with the alkalinity reagent to the same effect, but at the same time, I do not see this issue when I do the alkalinity test.

GulfReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue i was frustrated ,, got 1800 with hanna and 1350 with Salifert! I have bought additional reagent which still in the box have not opened it yet,, is there a way i could check if the reagent is usable? Also is there a link to the form to be submitted for the reagent?

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue i was frustrated ,, got 1800 with hanna and 1350 with Salifert! I have bought additional reagent which still in the box have not opened it yet,, is there a way i could check if the reagent is usable? Also is there a link to the form to be submitted for the reagent?
Check the Hanna website. The new reagent had not been released yet.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also had to contact them separate to get replacements for the reagents refills I had purchased. I wonder if I will get the replacements this by the end of October.

I have not seen anything on which date codes are bad. I would assume all of them that are out now are.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an email today asking how many testers I bought as well as how many extra packs of reagent….hopefully that means it will be released soon!

fasterznu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an email from them regarding this issue. Should have my new reagents soon. GL!

GulfReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the extra reagent i bought with the lot number,,, not sure if its the bad one or if its still usable , could i have it returned and get a refund? E6557DAE-A710-42B7-AA50-111DDBF86D75.jpeg

fasterznu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the extra reagent i bought with the lot number,,, not sure if its the bad one or if its still usable , could i have it returned and get a refund? E6557DAE-A710-42B7-AA50-111DDBF86D75.jpeg
Once you fill out the form they ask if you bought extra and how many. If it’s a bad batch they will reimburse you.

Cassy621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to a lady at Hanna yesterday she said there is a problem with the reagents degrading to varying degrees and they have known since June They were finally trying to sort it and she says they will be recalling via prepaid postage the whole kit within the next few weeks

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to a lady at Hanna yesterday she said there is a problem with the reagents degrading to varying degrees and they have known since June They were finally trying to sort it and she says they will be recalling via prepaid postage the whole kit within the next few weeks

The email from Hanna said to dispose of the old kit so now they want it returned to get replacement

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back