Hanna Nitrate Checker Review; Extra Effort for a Lot More Accuracy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna Nitrate Checker is a brand new water testing kit which takes a very different approach to measuring nitrate compared to what is currently available in the aquarium hobby. This low range colorimeter is specially designed to measure NO3 in saltwater samples up to only 5mg/l, but within this range it provides a much […]
Source

Continue reading...

shakygator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice article - but this just further reinforces to me that this test is too much effort and prone to mistakes to be as valuable as I originally thought.

I'm a bit confused by this statement:
"The aquarium hobby has never had access to this level of nitrate testing, not even from ICP tests..."

ATI ICP does nitrates. Am I missing something about resolution that was being alluded to here?

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will stick with using the Hanna nitrite colorimeter to read the RedSea nitrate test.

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it and i intend to use it. It's really not THAT much work.
Suck sample add liquid. add packet shake. filter. zero. add packet shake. wait

spideybry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it and i intend to use it. It's really not THAT much work.
Suck sample add liquid. add packet shake. filter. zero. add packet shake. wait

I was thinking the same thing. This test is ideal for those trying to stick with very low No3. If you're under 5ppm there's no real reason why performing this test is that laborious, especially when you're trying to get exact numbers and staying in between a tight range that other tests really don't handle that well. I much rather have to perform a few extra steps and wait than to judge colors.

For the diluted method, I am annoyed I have to have fresh SW on hand - but I get it. That's why I think it is really perfect for people in the low range.

Back