Hanna Nitrate HR - Defective reagents

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest few boxes of HI782 (Nitrate High Range) reagents appear to have a bunch of duds in them. Like nearly half the packets will register like 0.5-1.0 ppm NO3. Usually when that happens, I retest with another packet and I get my normal 13-15 ppm. Anybody else experiencing this?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest few boxes of HI782 (Nitrate High Range) reagents appear to have a bunch of duds in them. Like nearly half the packets will register like 0.5-1.0 ppm NO3. Usually when that happens, I retest with another packet and I get my normal 13-15 ppm. Anybody else experiencing this?
Obvious question, are you sure you're starting the 7 min timer and not sometimes getting an instant reading?

I can't see how there would be a difference between reagents in the same batch.

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hanna nitrate checker is defective. The Issue is the reagent #2 is unfiltered and you have clumped matter floating around inside vial c2. The instrument reads how much light it picks up to determine the ppm. If the sample is cloudy or has anything that obstructs the light it will be an inaccurate reading. Personally I filter the black packet as your supposed to and then when I shake the second sample I do it in a separate tube and filter it the last minute and a half to take out all the floating matter into c2 and hurry and place it in the reader. My results have been consistent with another nitrate tester I have. It's easier to run a phosphate test. If they are elevated then it's safe to say nitrates are as well.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hanna nitrate checker is defective. The Issue is the reagent #2 is unfiltered and you have clumped matter floating around inside vial c2. The instrument reads how much light it picks up to determine the ppm. If the sample is cloudy or has anything that obstructs the light it will be an inaccurate reading. Personally I filter the black packet as your supposed to and then when I shake the second sample I do it in a separate tube and filter it the last minute and a half to take out all the floating matter into c2 and hurry and place it in the reader. My results have been consistent with another nitrate tester I have. It's easier to run a phosphate test. If they are elevated then it's safe to say nitrates are as well.
Umm, the OP is using the HR checker which only has one reagent and does not require filtering

OP
OP
Yodeling

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the single reagent packets. Yes, I wait at least 7 minutes. I can easily see the difference (barely pink vs very pink). I went through multiple boxes without issue, but the last 2 boxes have this problem. I ordered these directly from Hanna. Lot H017 exp 09/2026.

Last edited:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been getting lower then expected test results with lot H020. Today I tested and results were 0.0 tested again with a different lot H019 and the results were 2.9

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran into a bad lot of HR Nitrate packets, not some good, some bad. But who knows. The two minute vigorous shake is absolutely critical for consistent results. Do you have that under control?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use A timer to make sure that I’m shaking for two minutes at least I shake vigorously hard the whole time it is work yes and then I also tap tap the glass file when I’m done to make sure there’s no bubbles I then wipe off with a dry clean cloth every single time before I put it in the checker. Just an FYI what I found for accurate test results

OP
OP
Yodeling

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah have been using Hanna checkers for a while. And my initial few boxes of Nitrate HR were great. I have the technique down (shake/wipe/wait), it’s not that. It’s literally two packets giving different results from same sample water - i.e. one giving correct results, and one measuring near zero which is incorrect.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to ask the obvious but....

1. Have you contacted Hanna?
2. Did they reply?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did contact them yesterday. We’ll see what they say.

Great! I wasn't sure so figured I'd ask. Hope they can share some insight or help in other ways. I've personally not experienced it but only used what they sent and 3/4 through the next box. It seems pretty reliable so far in my tests and consistent.

Hope everything goes well and have a great week!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using H014 with no problems. Next unopened box for me is H019 so hopefully but based on the above that one sounds okay.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this thread

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early on I had a batch that was giving me unusually low readings, but haven’t had issues since. I check against Salifert and API periodically, and now they all typically align.

OP
OP
Yodeling

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this thread

Looks like someone with a problem with the same batch! Unlike the other post, I definitely had some packets that were fine ( about 50%).

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m never experienced a similar issue.
When you do C1 how long does it take to change to C2?, I always rerun C1 if the checker takes more than a couple of seconds to switch to C2.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back