Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little confused but can someone clear up this question? I have the ULR Nitrate Hanna, and I tend to do the dilution method since sometimes I hover above 5ppm nitrates, if you do without the dilution you get an error saying you are above the 5ppm need to redo to get exact number above 5ppm. This is annoying so I just tend to always do the dilution more steps but I get a number always on the 1st try.

Okay, so the question is will this NItrate HR cover from 1ppm up to 50ppm? If that is the case, I am in since I am not liking so many steps with the ULR tester.

Someone needs to do both tests the ULR vs HR and post a picture so see the accuracy of this All in one product, 1 regent and you get a solid reading? Eveyone that has ordered the new one, should have the old test kit in the closet, please measure with both and report findings. Thanks....
The HR has a range of 0.0 - 75.0ppm. The accuracy is +-2ppm +-5% of reading. So the LR is more precise but doesn't have the wide range that the HR does. I'd think if you're not under the 5ppm range on the LR checker than you probably don't care about +-2ppm

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
love mine!!!

685BE0CC-6493-44FB-AF88-E74C8DA3B702.jpeg

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now sold on the idea that I need the HR nitrate to give me my current value, where am on on the board! From that say I am between 1ppm-5ppm nitrate then bring out the ULR and do a reading IF YOU WANT TO, IF SOME VARIALBE DICTATES YOU NEED GO BEYOND THE HR FIGURE.

MrFus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine Friday, I like the simplified process... The only downside it's that I can't find reagents, when I search for Hanna nitrate reagents end with links to the LR checker but not the new one...

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can pre-order the reagents by calling Hanna directly. They are $15 for 25 reagent packs. I just ordered a few packs earlier this morning.

Are you sure they’re the new ones? The low range one has 2 reagent packets, a bottle of reagent and filters, and that costs $15.

I was hoping the single reagents for the new checker would be $9, the same as all of their other single reagent packages.

Morelia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure they’re the new ones? The low range one has 2 reagent packets, a bottle of reagent and filters, and that costs $15.

I was hoping the single reagents for the new checker would be $9, the same as all of their other single reagent packages.
Yes, these are the new ones. I have an order confirmation from Hanna reflecting the sku as well as the description.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i received my hanna nitrate HR checker today and this will be my go to nitrate tester. It's so easy! I previously used the redsea nitrate pro test kit and got ~4 ppm based on the color wheel and this checker showed 4.2 ppm.
How long does it take? How many steps?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, these are the new ones. I have an order confirmation from Hanna reflecting the sku as well as the description.

That could be another reason for the delay in the reagents. Get everyone to buy the checker and only then tell people that the reagents are going to be more expensive than the other single packet reagents. ☹️

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please will someone who owns this kit make a comparison post off your other nitrate kits plus this one as a comparison

the humdinger would obviously be this device, api nitrate, salifert nitrate, red sea. all on one tank water sample. nyos too but that's asking too much, if anyone owns all these nitrate kits you need help but I'd nearly pay to see the results

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hanna Comparison (not including the cost of the checker): ;)

Per Test (plus tax):

Hanna - $0.65
NYOS - $0.63
Red Sea - $0.43
Salifert - $0.29
API - $0.14

To be fair that's not as bad as I initially thought (and almost the same as NYOS) but, based on the other Hanna checkers, I had, incorrectly it seems, expected this new one to be about $0.36 per test.

As far as the test results, what I have seen posted so far doesn't show any cause for concern. I have seen a comparison somewhere (maybe on this thread) with the low range checker and with NYOS, and they seem to be within the 2ppm accuracy quoted for the new checker.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna Comparison (not including the cost of the checker): ;)

Per Test (plus tax):

Hanna - $0.65
NYOS - $0.63
Red Sea - $0.43
Salifert - $0.29
API - $0.14

To be fair that's not as bad as I initially thought (and almost the same as NYOS) but, based on the other Hanna checkers, I had, incorrectly it seems, expected this new one to be about $0.36 per test.

As far as the test results, what I have seen posted so far doesn't show any cause for concern. I have seen a comparison somewhere (maybe on this thread) with the low range checker and with NYOS, and they seem to be within the 2ppm accuracy quoted for the new checker.

I guess its worth it if you have a single tank and being precise about nitrates, but if you have multiple, non-reef tanks (fish and inverts only) and just monitoring for water changes, the lower cost of the API is worth the tradeoff for accuracy. However, having both the Hanna as a reference and the API kit, you could refine your "reading" skills quite a bit.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back