Hanna Nitrate HR is in the house!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip, cancelled my order with Hanna and ordered through you instead. Saved $20 and getting it sooner! You're a life saver :D

Bought 3-25 packs from Hanna early this morning. They're at the same price, but their shipping cost was $11... ;Wacky

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought 3-25 packs from Hanna early this morning. They're at the same price, but their shipping cost was $11... ;Wacky
That is shipping cost, and it has gone up. When you mail it via snail mail you would pay $3.99. But you are paying for service with that box as it will not arrive in an envelope.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I understand you correctly, your 90 gallon read 25ppm using NYOS test. Then you tested with the HR Hannah and got 65ppm, then retested again for authenticity and got 70ppm? Is this correct? Those numbers are way off between your Hannah and NYOS.

I tested mine against the LR and HR Hannah very little difference, if you look at my post earlier you will see what I shared with the board.
That is correct. Way different. I am going to do a big water change and cleaning on the 90 today and I'll test again. I may pull out my Red Sea to test again.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. Way different. I am going to do a big water change and cleaning on the 90 today and I'll test again. I may pull out my Red Sea to test again.
Will be nice to see what you were compensating for, using vision test. Digital is digital the numbers are based on what the measurements/steps were and how accurate your conducted them. With the vision test, is what hues are you compensating for based on natural lighting in the room or outside window lighting emmiting hues that you need to compensate for.

That was hard for me to find some good background lighting that was neutral enough for me to make a good call on what I saw, for example when I did Salfert tests in the past.

With the Hannah, itj is the error I make not following the steps, but they are the deciding factor on what is detected inside the sensor when I close the lid, this is no longer under my jurisdiction.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased two sets of regents directly from Hannah, they were clear on the cost, $15 per box of 25. I ordered two of them shipped to my house was $49 charged to my card.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That’s almost $1 per test!!

Presumably it will ‘only’ be $30 plus tax (and free shipping) for 2 boxes from Saltwater Aquarium, so I’m not sure why anyone would buy direct from Hanna at that price.

It’s not particularly the cost that irks me, it is the thought that they may have taken advantage of people; they didn’t even reply to my message asking for confirmation of the price, and why it was so much more than the other single reagent packets.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s almost $1 per test!!

Presumably it will ‘only’ be $30 plus tax (and free shipping) for 2 boxes from Saltwater Aquarium, so I’m not sure why anyone would buy direct from Hanna at that price.

It’s not particularly the cost that irks me, it is the thought that they may have taken advantage of people; they didn’t even reply to my message asking for confirmation of the price, and why it was so much more than the other single reagent packets.
I will check my receipt now that you mentioned because I ordered by phone and spoke to the sales dept. I made the order because I too was thinking it was just $15 per box, so I ordered two. I did this because I read the thread above mine that another had ordered directly from them for $15 per box.

$15 for shipping is a lot for such a small packet, but I didn't think it would be that much, it should be $7 max with box. But since I had already ordered my Hannah HR kit from Marine Depot and that had only 12 regents and I have 2 tanks up that I started in January LPS and SPS, I am watching Nitrates close and I don't like the Hannah LR nitrate with all the steps, too many and especially for two tanks, and I have a third 30 gallon on the way, that is too much for me.

I will call them on Monday just to find out what the shipping really was, I made the purchase on impulse to get the regents here to my house.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is 16.9
excellent thanks.
Is it just me misinterpreting the photo, or is it more copper-colored than the usual pink in an NO3 test?

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excellent thanks.
Is it just me misinterpreting the photo, or is it more copper-colored than the usual pink in an NO3 test?
No it's definitely pink. You can see the actual color better in the second photo with no background. I'll try to get better lighting next time... Testing a lot at the moment.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone worried about reagents, guess what just came in the mail today from saltwateraquarium.com?

20210706_103541.jpg

I payed $14.25 per box X 2 boxes, 0 shipping, and $2.35 tax = 30.85 for 2 boxes. Shipped out way earlier then originally expected. Got the checker last week, and preordered more reagents so they would ship when they came in. Got my reagent packs just a mere 7 days after ordering. Plenty instock too @260 units up for sale.

OOh and a fresh bottle of 8 species blend of live phytoplankton from @Eldredge. Best stuff on the planet for the health of your tank.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excellent thanks.
Comparing the Red Sea high range kit to the hanna, I think both colors match close enough(same shade of pink). It's just hard to distinguish the color cards on the red sea since my sample and the card do not match exactly(red sea high range goes from 16 to 32), and the hanna returned to me a 19.5. On the Red Sea Kit I'm above 16, but below 32, so I'm going to trust the hanna for now.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing the Red Sea high range kit to the hanna, I think both colors match close enough(same shade of pink).
Thanks. appreciate it.
...the hanna returned to me a 19.5. On the Red Sea Kit I'm above 16, but below 32, so I'm going to trust the hanna for now.
this is what electronic eyeballs (hanna checkers) excel at, objective measure of color intensity. Human eyes are amazing at taking radically different light intensities and smoothing it all away to generate a cohesive image. But that's not helpful when you want to be sensitive to small differences in light intensity.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

does nitrite affect accuracy of this tester like it does the other nitrate testers

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

does nitrite affect accuracy of this tester like it does the other nitrate testers
Having never used it - yes. :)
They didn't reinvent the wheel - the test will reduce NO3->NO2 then form color based on the amount of NO2.

Whether the error is a factor of ~1.5-3x like for the Hanna Low Range NO3 or more like ~5-10x in the Red Sea NO3 pro test as @Dan_P demonstrated here, I don't know.
I'd guess it's more like the Red Sea based on the amount of color apparently formed in this test. That's just a guess though.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so today I got a low reading on my HR Nitrate tester below 5ppm. So, as requested by a large number of reefers on this thread, I pulled out my LR Nitrate tester and here are the results. Compare the two and tell me if HR is worth it? What are your thoughts? LR Nitrate test is undiluted since I was below 5ppm.

20210707_120128.jpg 20210707_112807_HDR.jpg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, mine arrived yesterday. I have always had high nitrates in my 90. The closest color match on NYOS was 25. I tested with Hannah HR yesterday and it said 65. I retested and it said 70. Something does not add up. The new build said 0 on both. Hoping that I can trust this.

NYOS for anything Over 10 is useless

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back