Hanna Nitrate HR is in the house!

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your under 5ppm nd you don't mind the process, I would use the LR kit. Little more accurate at lower ranges as you can see by your comparison. 4.05 is a far cry from 4.9. Thats nearly a 1ppm difference.
I wouldn't say 4.05 is a far cry. If you're taking action when it's 4.9, then maybe reconsider what ulns is. Imo, anything less than 4 is a problem as it gets into a danger zone where it could bottom out quickly. I keep my nitrate less than 10 and over 4. Your corals aren't going to look drastically different if you keep it in that range. Nitrate doesn't need to be held within the same +/- 0.5 range like alkalinity does. It's the lack of nitrate that causes nearly immediate problems/death. If you're running a ulns tank, then you're almost never worried about getting over 10 as you're probably dosing nitrates already.

For me, the high range test is better as it's as simple as it gets and as accurate as you'll need it to be. Remember, we were dealing with wildly inaccurate readings prior to the LR and HR Hanna Checkers. Our reefs did fine before now, with the exception of tanks where tests were inaccurate and people had no nitrates. When I had done my last red sea nitrate test on my 40 breeder prior to getting the Hanna hr checker, it said my nitrate was in the range of 16-25. When I got this test, it let me know that I actually had very little nitrates. Nitrates then bottomed out and I started seeing dinos, so I now dose neonitro to maintain my levels. Dinos are completely gone and coraline growth is exploding now. Our tanks are going to excel more now imo. This is a big step for reefing. I believe we'll look back at these testers as a mile marker for stability in our tanks.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say 4.05 is a far cry. If you're taking action when it's 4.9, then maybe reconsider what ulns is. Imo, anything less than 4 is a problem as it gets into a danger zone where it could bottom out quickly. I keep my nitrate less than 10 and over 4. Your corals aren't going to look drastically different if you keep it in that range. Nitrate doesn't need to be held within the same +/- 0.5 range like alkalinity does. It's the lack of nitrate that causes nearly immediate problems/death. If you're running a ulns tank, then you're almost never worried about getting over 10 as you're probably dosing nitrates already.

For me, the high range test is better as it's as simple as it gets and as accurate as you'll need it to be. Remember, we were dealing with wildly inaccurate readings prior to the LR and HR Hanna Checkers. Our reefs did fine before now, with the exception of tanks where tests were inaccurate and people had no nitrates. When I had done my last red sea nitrate test on my 40 breeder prior to getting the Hanna hr checker, it said my nitrate was in the range of 16-25. When I got this test, it let me know that I actually had very little nitrates. Nitrates then bottomed out and I started seeing dinos, so I now dose neonitro to maintain my levels. Dinos are completely gone and coraline growth is exploding now. Our tanks are going to excel more now imo. This is a big step for reefing. I believe we'll look back at these testers as a mile marker for stability in our tanks.
VERY WELL LAID OUT AND I AM THINKING EXACTLY WHAT YOU WROTE. Thanks.... I will keep all posted as today my Nitrates were above 5ppm and I had to use my LR since I don't have any regents for HR left.

I then, did a diluted sample on my LR Hanna and got 5.5 ppm LOL had to redo the test for .5. But then I decided not to add any Neo Nitro to see where may Cheato takes me overnight.

This SPS tank is really nice, but with only 10 gallons of volume it is becomming a challenge.

I appreaciate all the guidance!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wasn't saying it's wildly different, but 4.05 to 4.9 is nealy a 1ppm difference. While in the grand scheme of things thats not a huge difference, it would make a difference in which kit he should for the most accurate reading was all I was saying.

I would also disagree with you on what a ULNS system is. Under 1ppm nitrate and .03 phosphate is what ULNS is to me, or dang near 0.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what came in just now! Great service! First time using them.

Attachments

• 20210712_165016.jpg
    20210712_165016.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210712_164900.jpg
    20210712_164900.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 35

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so this is why I check my Nitrates with Hanna HR or LR, to regulate my two 12 gallon cubes the cheato growth vs neophos & neo nitro.

My Cheato is growing like a bush on steroids.

Attachments

• 20210712_182127.jpg
    20210712_182127.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210712_182124_HDR.jpg
    20210712_182124_HDR.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 34

Seascapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very simple to do. Reagent is not a powder like the LR, more crystalline. Test is very similar to the ULR Phosphorous except it's a 7 minute count down.

First test result

Second test result

Not too bad on reproducibility.

My HR checker keeps reading flashing 75 which means out of range. Checked on API looks like zero to 20. Something is off. Does it mean my nitrates are too low for the HR Checker? Confused

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My HR checker keeps reading flashing 75 which means out of range. Checked on API looks like zero to 20. Something is off. Does it mean my nitrates are too low for the HR Checker? Confused

That means the sample is above 75. Did you repeat it and still got that?

Do you have any other test kit rather than API? Salifert, NYOS?

Something is off for sure. If you have some fresh salt water try 2.5 cc of tank water and 7.5 cc of fresh salt water and see what you get.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Way! Look what finally showed up today from Hanna! Although it took forever, I already had gone through 1 box 25 tests from ordering from saltwater aquariums. So glad I never canceled order.

Attachments

• 20210726_114635.jpg
    20210726_114635.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any online store have the reagent in stock?

Premium Aquatics has Nitrate High Range reagent in stock! Just ordered two boxes and they already emailed me that it's shipped and sent a tracking number. It literally came less than 15 minutes after placing the order!

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just used the Hanna High Range Nitrate checker. Wow, was it easy !! I'm at 5.6ppm.

I honestly don't know if I'll ever use the Low Range again.
The LR will come in handy if you are wanting to have exact numbers below 5ppm. Say your HR is 1ppm or even 0ppm take out the LR and test!

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
According to a thread on the Hanna sponsor forum, even if you buy direct from Hanna you might be looking at 4-6 weeks.

I would ask Hanna, but they won't reply to me!

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to a thread on the Hanna sponsor forum, even if you buy direct from Hanna you might be looking at 4-6 weeks.

I would ask Hanna, but they won't reply to me!
I ordered two boxes a week ago and got the email after. I will be waiting, tough time to be battling Dinos and testing daily.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered two boxes a week ago and got the email after. I will be waiting, tough time to be battling Dinos and testing daily.
I have dinos in two of tanks, so being that I have to dose neo phos and neo nitro, I have gotten a baseline of input/output with the feedings I did plus the dosing. So, now I can skip up to three days without worry. Before it was testing daily for about 2 weeks straight trying to find that baseline.

But as soon as you do, you got at least 3-4 days of not testing and just dosing. I am trying to hit 1 week but I have a small graph paper notebook, old school way and a pen and it is doing th job.

Try to get that going to help you out and not rely so much on testing.

Randy’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The low range kit isn't nearly complicated as it is made out to be but right tool for the right job so it is good to see this come to market.
Yeah after like 2 times doing it it gets easy to remember what to do , it’s just too time consuming , and some more room for error compared to the hr

ridgeburyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That means the sample is above 75. Did you repeat it and still got that?

Do you have any other test kit rather than API? Salifert, NYOS?

Something is off for sure. If you have some fresh salt water try 2.5 cc of tank water and 7.5 cc of fresh salt water and see what you get.
I actually am having the same issue, can anyone tell me how to fix? Wouldn’t diluting the sample w fresh salt water mess w the result?

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually am having the same issue, can anyone tell me how to fix? Wouldn’t diluting the sample w fresh salt water mess w the result?
I would test the fresh SW sample first to ensure that it is at zero. If yes, then cutting the tank sample with it is fine. You can then try a 50/50 or 25/75 mix.

ridgeburyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test the fresh SW sample first to ensure that it is at zero. If yes, then cutting the tank sample with it is fine. You can then try a 50/50 or 25/75 mix.
Wouldn’t this essentially be (if using 50/50) be testing half the nitrates in my tank? Would I take that answer as stone, or multiply it by 2?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back