Hanna Phosphate ULR PPM or PPB ??

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI all I just want to know if there is a big difference between the PPM and PPB on the Phosphate checker? I just bought the Hanna Phosphate ULR (PPM) from BRS and thinking I bought the wrong one?

Should I change it to PPB checker?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI all I just want to know if there is a big difference between the PPM and PPB on the Phosphate checker? I just bought the Hanna Phosphate ULR (PPM) from BRS and thinking I bought the wrong one?

Should I change it to PPB checker?
I have the ULR in ppm and I think that tends to be the most popular for reef aquariums as you ideally want phosphate at the lower end of the scale, so maybe around 0.03ppm

So personally for me you have the right choice, but it depends what your trying to do

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphorus ULR is a lot more accurate for lower range testing. I have both and the phosphate ULR will show 0 ppm and the phosphorus ULR will give a reading of 7-10 ppb which equates to .02 or so ppm which is exactly what I’m shooting for.

BRS did a video on it and it is related to the error range the phosphate has a higher error range which give the false 0 readings.

Edit: I have both because I got the phosphate first and figured it would be good enough. After too many false 0 readings I got the phosphorus and I’m glad I did

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both work, you have more detail at low values which is better suited for reef applications.
I agree and honestly I thought I was buying the ppb hanna checker and I checked and it's showing in ppm. BRS is not showing the PPB checker only the ulr PPM.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing more research, looks like this new hanna checker (ULR - PPM )is just as accurate as the PPB checker.

Interesting to see the new product. I would bet my house this is the PPB checker but it's just doing the math to convert phosphorous to phosphate (multiply by 3.066 for you) for you.

BRS still shows the PPB checker as well as the PPM checker but this new one is probably going to take them both over just like the dKH alkalinity checker took over for the ppm one.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Apex auto converts the URL PPB reading to PPM. Wonder if they will change that now or if we'll need to put the new URL PPM reading under the standard phosphate checker option in Apex to get the correct reading.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting to see the new product. I would bet my house this is the PPB checker but it's just doing the math to convert phosphorous to phosphate (multiply by 3.066 for you) for you.

BRS still shows the PPB checker as well as the PPM checker but this new one is probably going to take them both over just like the dKH alkalinity checker took over for the ppm one.
I agree I believe it is the ULR, just doing the math for you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back