Hanna Salinity and BRS Refractometer reading way different. Makes me worried

Dogreccos29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I set my tank up about a month and half ago. Mixed my saltwater with RO/DI and mixed it to 35 PPT using a BRS Refractometer which was calibrated with refracto juice that came with the refractometer. About a week ago I wanted to start getting more test kits to begin checking parameters to get ready to start adding corals. The kit I bought was https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hireef2-professional-reef-test-kit-hanna-instruments.html. I went to check my fish tank salinity with the Hanna salinity checker after calibrating it and it read way low at 30.7 PPT. I then calibrated my BRS refractometer and checked my fish tank salinity and it read 35 PPT. I also checked the packets of 35 PPT calibration water the Hanna Salinity checker came with the BRS refractor and they read very low around 30 PPT.

Can someone please provide some guidance or has anyone had issues with Hanna Salinity checkers in the past. I have had 2 clown fish and 2 cleaner shrimp in my tank for about 2 weeks and they always look extremely happy. Every time I have calibrated my BRS refractometer with the refracto juice I have shaken the bottle and waited the 45 seconds before calibrating.

Thanks!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, you cannot check the Hanna calibration packet with your refractometer. The hanna has a different solution then whats used on refractometers.

I personally have gone to using Randy's DIY calibration fluid, as it's been shown many times bottles of refractometer calibration fluid can be off. This is not to say the hanna isn't off either.

Did you calibrate the Hanna with the packet, then double check, after calibration, the packet to see if the reading came out to 35ppt?

OP
OP
Dogreccos29

Dogreccos29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he Hanna with the packet, then double check, a
Hey Homer, I appreciate the response. I believe I did check the packet with the Hanna after and it came out to 35 PPT. I just need a kitchen scale for the Randy's calibration correct? I think I have one at the house so I will make that and give it a try.

Also, while I have you. I feel bad for my clowns as they currently only have rock and nothing soft in the tank besides sand. Is there any hardy corals or anything I can add to the tank to possibly give them something to host this early after I get my salinity level figured out.

Thank you!!!!!!

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just a kitchen scale that can measure to the gram, and regular old table salt.

I wouldn't worry about your clowns, they will host whatever they feel is safe. Be that a powerhead, corner of the tank, anemone, coral, whatever. What you think they will host in, they more then likely won't. My clowns host my hammer, before the hammer, it was the corner of the tank even though the hammer and them have been in the tank for years(they only recently started to host in the hammer). Clowns are just weird like that.

OP
OP
Dogreccos29

Dogreccos29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just a kitchen scale that can measure to the gram, and regular old table salt.

I wouldn't worry about your clowns, they will host whatever they feel is safe. Be that a powerhead, corner of the tank, anemone, coral, whatever. What you think they will host in, they more then likely won't. My clowns host my hammer, before the hammer, it was the corner of the tank even though the hammer and them have been in the tank for years(they only recently started to host in the hammer). Clowns are just weird like that.
Haha fair enough!

One last question then I will let you go, I was looking at your build thread and I have a very similar tank set up. 90G cube. I have 2 MP40s and I saw you had 2 MP 10s. What do you normally run your powerheads on? I currently have mine only on lagoon at 17%. My tank is https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/h...nk-look-worried-i-did-something-wrong.802011/ since you have a similar set up and seem to be very knowledgeable is there any advice you can give me going forward.

Thanks!

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 10's because this 90 was an upgrade from a biocube. They aren't supposed to stick to my glass thickness, but I've been running them in this tank for 5 years now with 0 issue.

I run them at 60% reefcrest during the day, and 40% lagoon at night. I also run them at 100% for 10 minutes in nutrient export mode @ 100% when I'm done feeding. I have them programmed through an apex.

Keep in mind though, I also have 2 jeabo pp8's, and a gyre xf350. I like nice chaotic flow which my setup allows for, and to run the pumps at a lower setting with more pumps for longevity.

I'll have a read through your build thread, and comment in there if you don't mind. FYI if you go to your account details, you can add that link into a provided space for a build thread badge. Clicking the badge brings you to the build thread.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back