Hanna salinity checkers selling on.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna salinity checkers bust onto the scene as something as a godsend for us reekeepers. At first there were lots of reviews saying how good they are.

I am now reading lots of disgruntled users so much so I am now seeing lots for sale secondhand. That's not just on this forum.but a well known UK one as well as on eBay.

I was going to buy one but after reading of issues and seeing so many up for sale a
Simple question. What's your take on them, have you had one and discarded it or sold it on.?
Seems like the Tropic marn precision hydrometer could be a better bet.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems you either get a good one, or it's bust.

I fortunately bought a good one out of the gate. Keeps calibration(I haven't calibrated it in over a year, but do spot check it with calibration fluid every once in a while), and is just plain easy to use.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine measures 0.001 lower then my tropic marin hydrometer consistently.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as the posts above -- I like mine and it holds calibration and is consistent. (Actually think I've gotten some random calibration fluid packets that were a little OFF but the last few have been good,,, and I started heating the calibration fluid to tank temp which seemed to help)

*I have the TM precision hydrometer also and use it only for periodic validation but it's BIG,,, meaning, not convenient to use.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any test is dictated by consistency of process, the overall control of said process, and the accuracy of the equipment basically, so if you can approach hanna testers in a consistent manner you are at least going to be able to see trends and changes. If you trust them enough to define them as "pretty close", then you can use the information. People trying to make .01 phosphate adjustments from a hanna are insane. Stay away from those people.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine, but maybe I just got a good one. I've checked the calibration on mine multiple times and it's always spot on. It's so quick and easy, it's easily my go-to device now for checking salinity. I absolutely love mine.
The temp feature on it is another great little useful feature.

did I say I love mine? because I do, lol.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like mine. I have had mine for about 2 years and it is reliable. I also have a refractometer and the TM precision hydrometer that I use to spot check incase I question it's calibration. All of them read consistently with each other. One thing I do which is a must in my opinion is this. I have a cup of RODi sitting next to my Hanna checker. After checking the salinity then I shake off the checker and then dip it into the RODI and shake off and repeat again. This helps from salt staying on the checker and I have seen issues of it rusting. I think that is why.

Really easy to use and quick. So far I am happy with it.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
i went thru the same thing. Was looking for refractometer when i restarted. My old hanna checker worked great but i sold it long ago. Saw a bunch of bad reviews on the Hannah so i ignored it this time around. I bought the Tropic Marin precision hydrometer. While it works great and gave super accurate results, it was a huge PIA to use and if not careful very easy to break. So i looked on..... ended up with the Milwaukee digital.

The Milwaukee is easy to use and also super accurate. With these 2 devices, I wont have to worry if my salinity is correct.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The milwaukee is great, and simple to use, just keep in mind it has been shown numerous times to be off as much as .005 even when freshly calibrated.

Certainly not my experience with it, but it has been documented numerous times. Only reason I stopped using it, large and bulky.

Like most testing equipment in this hooby, they are just that, hobby grade testing. We expect lab grade testing equipment, but hate to pay the price, and expect it in cheap testing equipment.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My general experience with conductivity based salinity measurements has been that they are very accurate but also very finicky. If you have bubbles on the sensor they read wrong, in temperature extremes they read wrong, with electrical interference they read wrong.

Conductivity measurements are very accurate this is the same way of measuring salinity that oceanographers use. However it is not as precise as other measurement options. The most repeatable results come from a large floating hydrometer that never needs calibration and has no electronic or moving parts. It may be off a bit but it will be consistently off every single time.

For me the digital refractometers are better. They are not as accurate as the conductivity meters or as precise as the analogue hydrometers but they are extremely easy to use and are far less finicky when compared to conductivity based salinity testers.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like mine. I have had mine for about 2 years and it is reliable. I also have a refractometer and the TM precision hydrometer that I use to spot check incase I question it's calibration. All of them read consistently with each other. One thing I do which is a must in my opinion is this. I have a cup of RODi sitting next to my Hanna checker. After checking the salinity then I shake off the checker and then dip it into the RODI and shake off and repeat again. This helps from salt staying on the checker and I have seen issues of it rusting. I think that is why.

Really easy to use and quick. So far I am happy with it.
I do the exact same thing. I keep a 1 gallon bucket filled with fresh RODI in my fish room. All my salinity, ph, TDS probes, test tubes, etc.. are rinsed out in the bucket of RODI before being put away. I just dump it out and refill whenever I run my RO/DI system.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had three in the course of a month or so. Multiple tanks - hence.

The first was fine for a few weeks - Then started drifing - Was having to calibrate every use but was doable - It progressively got worse though, eventually not even holding calibration for more than an hour so it became worthless.

The second - was ok and held calibration but was always off compared to other calibrated devices - Couldnt trust it very easily especially after the first ones experience.

Gambled on a third and it wouldnt hold calibration right from the start. Barely lasted 20 minutes before you could see the figure changing right from a fresh calibration.

Dont recommend them for the above reasons - Seems some are good but some are bad and that doesnt fill me with confidence either way. Moved to a Milwaukee MA887 and wish i had from the start.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought one when I first heard about them. I had nothing but problems, mine would never stay calibrated. I have a Vee Gee that for me is extremely reliable.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are talking about the Hanna HI98319 here, correct? and not the Hanna salinity refractometer?
marine-salinity-tester-hi98319__24337.1566592546.1280.1280.jpg

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one when I first heard about them. I had nothing but problems, mine would never stay calibrated. I have a Vee Gee that for me is extremely reliable.

Also use a Vee Gee here and love it! Pricier than the $30 Petco refractometers, but good data is priceless. I don't have any experience to add with the Hanna salinity checker. But I do have Hanna Checkers on the way for Alkalinity, Calcium, will be collecting all a few at a time, based on good reviews here.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use, it's always spot on when I calibrate besides the one time it was slightly off.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine I keep it calibrated every few uses.
But I also use my just for reference to check and see any major fluctuations

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back