Hanna Salinity Tester Improvements

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own several salinity testers including the Milwaukee MA887, a refractometer, and the Tropic Marin hydrometer. but the one I use the most is the Hanna handheld salinity tester. That being said, there are some improvements I wish Hanna would incorporate in a future model.
(1) Back Lit display. If you are reading your Hanna under your tank lights its no problem but if you are in your garage at night staring into a Brute trashcan, I need a flashlight. A backlit screen would be very welcome.
(2) Move the "CAL" button to a different location on the device. I can't count how many times I turned the device off without thinking but used the "Cal" side of the button when I should have hit the left side of the switch.
(3) Allow changes to specific gravity and temperature without having to take off the back of the unit.

Other than that I am very pleased with the ease of use and relative accuracy. If I need to verify accuracy I use the Tropic Marin Hydrometer but the Hanna is close enough and very convenient.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back