Hannah Alk Checker off by 1 dKh with new reagent batches

Sdbuehler1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some refills of the I772-26 reagent for my Hannah Alk checker. With my old batch the reading was at 8.5 and with the new batches its coming in at 7.5. I bought one batch from BRS with lot 0272 and two from Amazon with lot 0233. All three new batches report around 7.5. This would normally make me think that my old batch was the one that was off but I also tested with my Red Sea kit and it shows 8.5 as well. Is anyone else experiencing issues with new batches of the Hannah alk testing reagent? I was also suspicious that maybe the new syringes were bad but even with the old syringe I get the same readings.

I'm thinking I may just need to add +1 dKh to my readings for this batch but that is not ideal.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some refills of the I772-26 reagent for my Hannah Alk checker. With my old batch the reading was at 8.5 and with the new batches its coming in at 7.5. I bought one batch from BRS with lot 0272 and two from Amazon with lot 0233. All three new batches report around 7.5. This would normally make me think that my old batch was the one that was off but I also tested with my Red Sea kit and it shows 8.5 as well. Is anyone else experiencing issues with new batches of the Hannah alk testing reagent? I was also suspicious that maybe the new syringes were bad but even with the old syringe I get the same readings.

I'm thinking I may just need to add +1 dKh to my readings for this batch but that is not ideal.
I have a red sea alk tester for this reason. You could double check by taking a sample for testing to lfs.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing with me. Recently I freaked out because my alk went from 9.4 to 10.2 without changing anything and forgot that I got a new Hannah reagent. Thankfully I didn’t change anything just relaxed and did a water change. Then I realized what happened and the posts I’ve read about the reagents.

If you keep testing the same or close to the new number in 24 hours should be good I guess just remember thats now your new alk level.

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it in the fridge! Also when do you test? As you know ph and alk fluctuate depending on time of day. I was losing about .5 dKH per day and battling low ph, 8 max on a good day due to too much co2 thought it was consumption or an error but before I added anything I aerated the room for a few days… voila stable ph (8.1~8.3) and alk fluctuates.1-.2 dKH max. I did have an issue with the ulr po4 reagents even contacted Hanna and BRS readings were wildly off the charts ( out of 25 I only got about 5-7 accurate readings). So, can it be a bad reagent batch? Definitely!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back