Happy Election Day! Elect your next reef food and WIN!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that we've had the Plank in production and shipping for over a year and Reef Jerky for almost as long, we'd love to hear from all of you about how and what you're feeding your tanks. We'd love to hear whether or not you use the Plank and/or Reef Jerky, (if no, why not?) and what you'd like to see in other Jerky formulations.

To make this discussion even more fun, we'll give away free Reef Jerky at the end of the month! We'll pick several winners- all you have to do to enter is participate in this thread. Let us know what you like (or dislike- we want to improve!) or ask any questions about the Plank or Reef Jerky. You don't have to be a Plank owner or Reef Jerky user. No question is too basic, and no request is too outlandish! Got a clever name for a new formulation? Or ideas for new ingredients? Or a really good question?

Cast your vote and Win!

OP
OP
Avast Justin

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love both. My only gripe is that the reef jerky doesn't come in bulk sizes.
Fair enough! The reasoning for the single size (so far) is that it's basically a refill for the Plank. Pretty much all of the can's contents will fit in the hopper. That said, I agree that less use of packaging material is better. What size(s) would you like to see, and how quickly do you go through it now?

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 3 options would be great. I went through 1/2 the container I got in a month, mixed with other foods. Maybe have this size, one that's twice as much and one that's 4x as much? It's packaging and shipping that add to the cost

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a plank just cause I enjoy feeding my fish and have a tank watcher for vacation. That said, I’ve never used reef jerky either but I also haven’t had the need to buy more food for my tank since the start. Soo yea, that’s my story

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BIGGEST complaint on this is the fact that there are two cords. Honestly...it is such a di minimis complaint I feel bad saying it. But that should talk to the quality of the product and how much i love it...trying to nit pick to find SOMETHING. Overall Kudos!! Great product...one of my favorites.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was unaware that Avast made a dry food.
I love my Avast kalk reactor. You guys definitely make quality products. Looks like I’m having reef jerky for lunch tomorrow
John Cena Eating GIF by Nickelodeon

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just learning about this! This Planky and Jerky combo is awesome!! How many feedings does it do when full?
Unfortunately...like every other response on this thread: It depends. It depends on how long your timer is per feeding and how many feedings per day. The auger mechanism on the Plank is timer controlled which means you dictate how long each feeding is.

I use about 2 45 second feedings per day and i have filled up my hopper 2'ish times in 5 months.

Melanie Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately...like every other response on this thread: It depends. It depends on how long your timer is per feeding and how many feedings per day. The auger mechanism on the Plank is timer controlled which means you dictate how long each feeding is.

I use about 2 45 second feedings per day and i have filled up my hopper 2'ish times in 5 months.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Avast Justin

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a plank just cause I enjoy feeding my fish and have a tank watcher for vacation. That said, I’ve never used reef jerky either but I also haven’t had the need to buy more food for my tank since the start. Soo yea, that’s my story
I definitely enjoy hand feeding also. Especially anemones. Unfortunately I can't be there every hour to feed a little bit, and that's the magic of the Plank. Microfeedings throughout the day make a big difference for many fish typically regarded as sensitive or difficult. When you run out of your first food batch, you should give this a try ;)
My BIGGEST complaint on this is the fact that there are two cords. Honestly...it is such a di minimis complaint I feel bad saying it. But that should talk to the quality of the product and how much i love it...trying to nit pick to find SOMETHING. Overall Kudos!! Great product...one of my favorites.
I hear you, and it is definitely something I'd like to improve. It's tricky because one is a 12v DC motor and the other is AC. So we'd need to pack all of the power conversion and independent timing/control into the feeder housing, which adds to the complexity & cost. It's not out of the question, but I really like to keep devices simple. There are so many good control options available, it seems like reinventing the wheel to put one inside the Plank.
I have not tried the reef jerkey. hmmmmm..Santa?
You must have gotten yours just before we started including some with each new Plank. I'll fix this for you; email support@avast and I'll get it on the way :)

As another example, I feed every hour for 30 seconds from 9am-9pm, and mine lasts about 2 weeks.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely enjoy hand feeding also. Especially anemones. Unfortunately I can't be there every hour to feed a little bit, and that's the magic of the Plank. Microfeedings throughout the day make a big difference for many fish typically regarded as sensitive or difficult. When you run out of your first food batch, you should give this a try ;)

I hear you, and it is definitely something I'd like to improve. It's tricky because one is a 12v DC motor and the other is AC. So we'd need to pack all of the power conversion and independent timing/control into the feeder housing, which adds to the complexity & cost. It's not out of the question, but I really like to keep devices simple. There are so many good control options available, it seems like reinventing the wheel to put one inside the Plank.

You must have gotten yours just before we started including some with each new Plank. I'll fix this for you; email support@avast and I'll get it on the way :)

As another example, I feed every hour for 30 seconds from 9am-9pm, and mine lasts about 2 weeks.
Sent..you guys are the best!!! I am so glad you are on my recommended equipment list (see my footer). You guys NEVER disappoint!! NEVER

As far as the AC / DC motor issue, I just use a 2 to 1 outlet splitter. Not the purdiest thing..but fixes my problem.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know about these products — I'm definitely intrigued.
If you are in the market for quality products...Avast is fantastical. Just bought my Kalk Stirrer from them...outstanding quality and design. I have spent the entire morning coming up with thoughts and suggestions for their next big platform / gadget!!

OP
OP
Avast Justin

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back