Happy Fathers Day! New tank build advice

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

My Dad had a beautiful 90 gallon coral reef he was pretty invested for a while. I helped him make the RO water, mix salts, and carry water because I had the better back haha. So I have some experience growing up with it.

I just moved out to a nice apartment on my own and am finally looking to start my own 40g breeder. I'd like to do something as close to rimless as possible with minimal additional work. I am looking to do very basic easy corals like some pulsing zenia, zoanthids, maybe bubble coral and any type of easy mushrooms.

For fish/critters: clown, sexy shrimp (maybe), goby, maybe a fire fish in there too.

For the setup at home: I have a lot of space in my apartment thankfully and a perfect spot. No direct light, easy access to outlets, and I already have an RO system ready to go so I'll be making my own salt water.

I am thinking I want to do a sump system because I generally know how it works but I do want some advice on parts. I have about a $1500 budget.

To sum up:

Lights: not sure
Tank/stand: not sure
Sump sytem: not sure
RO: all set
Rocks: I have someone who is getting me good live rock
Corals: I will be getting some frags listed above
Fish: not 100% sure

Any and all advice appreciated and I will make sure to send pics with updates.

Thank you!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you interested in HOB/In tank equipment at all? It can save money and complexity. If so, I'd refer you to BRS 5 min guide (they set up a 40 breeder with HOB/In-tank gear).

I'd go with rimmed unless it's a visual thing. I have a rimless and those micro spills every time I do anything running down the front of the tank are annoying as heck. My planted (which my hands are into more often) is rimmed and no spills, plus the screen fits nicer. I can see both from my chair here and they both look great so...no spill for the win. Also, the planted is not low iron and with the lights on...just as clear.

If you want a sump and save money...just get a 20 gallon and baffle kit. Sumps do not have to be overly complex. If you don't want to drill - get a quality HOB overflow (LifeReef are highly recommended and fool proof).

Lights can be the highest cost...with that budget I may go with simple off and on T-5 or if you want LED shop around for "good" black box or go with Aqua Illumination. In hindsight I wish I'd gone the AI route and a T5 supplement fixture instead of my Radion XR15 G4.

For a 40 gallon you have all kinds of options on stands...DIY, purchased or even well build furniture cabinets/tables. And by well built, I'm not talking solid oak...just well constructed.

For flow, no need to go super high tech at first if you start with lower flow corals. That $1500 is going to very fast believe me.

Ah one last thing....testing. Save some money and just go with test strips for cycling. No need at all for expensive ammonia, nitrite (which isn't needed at all) and nitrate kits until you have livestock.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you interested in HOB/In tank equipment at all? It can save money and complexity. If so, I'd refer you to BRS 5 min guide (they set up a 40 breeder with HOB/In-tank gear).

I'd go with rimmed unless it's a visual thing. I have a rimless and those micro spills every time I do anything running down the front of the tank are annoying as heck. My planted (which my hands are into more often) is rimmed and no spills, plus the screen fits nicer. I can see both from my chair here and they both look great so...no spill for the win. Also, the planted is not low iron and with the lights on...just as clear.

If you want a sump and save money...just get a 20 gallon and baffle kit. Sumps do not have to be overly complex. If you don't want to drill - get a quality HOB overflow (LifeReef are highly recommended and fool proof).

Lights can be the highest cost...with that budget I may go with simple off and on T-5 or if you want LED shop around for "good" black box or go with Aqua Illumination. In hindsight I wish I'd gone the AI route and a T5 supplement fixture instead of my Radion XR15 G4.

For a 40 gallon you have all kinds of options on stands...DIY, purchased or even well build furniture cabinets/tables. And by well built, I'm not talking solid oak...just well constructed.

For flow, no need to go super high tech at first if you start with lower flow corals. That $1500 is going to very fast believe me.

Ah one last thing....testing. Save some money and just go with test strips for cycling. No need at all for expensive ammonia, nitrite (which isn't needed at all) and nitrate kits until you have livestock.

That's great advice thank you! I can definitely do a HOB/in tank. If possible, is there an HOB/in tank do you think it'd work with a rimless? I want it for cosmetic purposes. I have a freshwater rimless (a tiny 10 gallon), but if possible I'd like it to match. Do you have a recommendation on a pre-built rimless? Also, do you think $1500 would be enough for a good start?

Last edited:

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not without blowing your budget. I do like those new Fiji tanks. Plus they're only 16" deep. One nice thing about 40 breeders and other 16" high tanks is that it takes much less to light them properly. You can find generics (not drilled)...try LFS or online. Glasscages comes to mind although reviews vary. I considered them before going with RedSea which is a bit pricey, but a lovely combo package.

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not without blowing your budget. I do like those new Fiji tanks. Plus they're only 16" deep. One nice thing about 40 breeders and other 16" high tanks is that it takes much less to light them properly. You can find generics (not drilled)...try LFS or online. Glasscages comes to mind although reviews vary. I considered them before going with RedSea which is a bit pricey, but a lovely combo package.
Thank you @quiteman, so I know Redseas would absolutely be way out of my budget. I do want to start this as a bit of a beginner friendly set up just because it's my first set up alone. So you guys think an HOB/in tank would be out of budget for $1500?

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're interested in an AIO there's these:

Or grab a 40 breeder from Petco and grab this kit:

I use the latter for a frag tank. The NSK-70 skimmer they offer fits as well or you could go really simple and put Chaeto in the middle compartment and skip the skimmer.

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're interested in an AIO there's these:

Or grab a 40 breeder from Petco and grab this kit:

I use the latter for a frag tank. The NSK-70 skimmer they offer fits as well or you could go really simple and put Chaeto in the middle compartment and skip the skimmer.
Okay that AIO I am VERY interested in. So it can do corals, a few fish and critters? The end goal for me is to have a nice full tank of great coral that I can eventually trade and get new stuff in the future. You think that'd be a good bet?

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that AIO I am VERY interested in. So it can do corals, a few fish and critters? The end goal for me is to have a nice full tank of great coral that I can eventually trade and get new stuff in the future. You think that'd be a good bet?
Sure... like I said, I use the drop in kit in a 40 breeder as a frag tank:

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure... like I said, I use the drop in kit in a 40 breeder as a frag tank:

Oh that's gorgeous and sorry if you explained this already but a drop in would be similar to an AIO? I know HOB is hang on back, is a drop in different?

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's gorgeous and sorry if you explained this already but a drop in would be similar to an AIO? I know HOB is hang on back, is a drop in different?
They make a drop in kit for standard size tanks (Aqueon) you'd buy at Petco. Turns those tanks into AIO tanks. AIO has the filtration inside the tank inside the compartment... pump, heater, filter floss or socks, etc.

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make a drop in kit for standard size tanks (Aqueon) you'd buy at Petco. Turns those tanks into AIO tanks. AIO has the filtration inside the tank inside the compartment... pump, heater, filter floss or

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make a drop in kit for standard size tanks (Aqueon) you'd buy at Petco. Turns those tanks into AIO tanks. AIO has the filtration inside the tank inside the compartment... pump, heater, filter floss or socks, etc.
Oh got it, so with this Fiji tank what else would I need to buy/replace in your opinion?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back