goofy movie hello GIF

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks,
My name is Teri and I have had a reef tank for over a decade. Started with Biocube 9, then moved to 16 and now I have only the 32.
The 9 and 16 were very easy for me to maintain and needed nothing other than small WC. I moved from 16 to 32 about 2 weeks ago and feel like its my first tank. I think its finally settling down after spikes in all things spike-able (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). Unexpectedly, we have a new 7 week old puppy which is competing for my attention as well.

I have really learned a great deal in the last few days about the so called but not really a "mini cycle" and the science behind it. My 32 is on the end of it now, finally showing a spike, then drop, then spike and drop of ammonia. I also just ordered my RODI filter which I never had the need for due to the small size of my tanks, but if I have to lug one more 5 gallon bucket into the house I might give up all together!

Finally, as a person with limited attention span and lack of attention to detail, this hobby is my opportunity to really focus on details, use a portion of my brain that otherwise might just fall off and relax at the same time. Even as a kid I had a freshwater tank and the joy I get from sitting and gazing at my tank is the same now as it was 35 years ago when I got my first tank.

Thanks to all who contribute valuable information and don't make people feel stupid.
Hello Teri, and welcome to the channel.

KrisSanders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks,
My name is Teri and I have had a reef tank for over a decade. Started with Biocube 9, then moved to 16 and now I have only the 32.
The 9 and 16 were very easy for me to maintain and needed nothing other than small WC. I moved from 16 to 32 about 2 weeks ago and feel like its my first tank. I think its finally settling down after spikes in all things spike-able (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). Unexpectedly, we have a new 7 week old puppy which is competing for my attention as well.

I have really learned a great deal in the last few days about the so called but not really a "mini cycle" and the science behind it. My 32 is on the end of it now, finally showing a spike, then drop, then spike and drop of ammonia. I also just ordered my RODI filter which I never had the need for due to the small size of my tanks, but if I have to lug one more 5 gallon bucket into the house I might give up all together!

Finally, as a person with limited attention span and lack of attention to detail, this hobby is my opportunity to really focus on details, use a portion of my brain that otherwise might just fall off and relax at the same time. Even as a kid I had a freshwater tank and the joy I get from sitting and gazing at my tank is the same now as it was 35 years ago when I got my first tank.

Thanks to all who contribute valuable information and don't make people feel stupid.
I feel you on the lugging jugs! Lol. I am a female and the one doing all the maintenance. I got rid of my 75 gallon tank around 10 years ago due to back issues and surgery (husband worked too much to be around to pack them for me). Now he is home more and I have started again (3 months ago) with the 32 biocube. He is around to help more and missed the old one.

OP
OP
alaskabeas

alaskabeas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would use a rodi finger to make my own water but I actually have pre mixed water shipped 5 gallons a month by pet smart for my 32. So far so good.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back