OP
OP
acanman

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you letting him acclimate before you get him from your lfs...or did you get them offline

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a ton of flow in your tank? From what I know, they need a lot of flow in the tank to do well. I've had one for over a year now, doing fine.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have lost 4 Achilles over the past 2 years.

1 was injured prior to shipment, one died about a week later and never ate, one just disappeared, and my last one lived and ate great for about a month, showed signs of ich and disappeared.

I love those tangs! I may try one more if I can find one that is very healthy and eating in captivity for an extended amount of time.

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My achillies ate only nori for about 4 months. After that I finally got him on pellets. He still does not eat mysis shrimp. The key I found to training fish to each pellets is an automatic feeder.

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great luck with my achilles. I think that it had to do with the fact that he was very small when I bought him. I have two friends that have had them and both would only eat nori. My achilles eats everything I put in front of him. I have him in a 450 gallon tank with a ton of flow (about 60times the amount of volume). I had him in a 55 gallon quarintine tank for about 3 months and he did just fine in there also. My only bad experience with him is that he is a bully. He is deffinately the king of the tank.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My purple tilefish is supposed to be difficult, but hasn't been after the first week for me. It just took him a little while to start eating. My forktail blenny is the most difficult for me. He won't eat food that floats like flake, mysis, blood worms, etc. He'll only eat pods and pellets. Go figure. Hopefully the pellets have enough nutrition for him.

PC071511.jpg

PC071506.jpg

But CBB are the hardest fish I've tried. The first one I got was big and I got him eating mysis, but sold him soon after due to a move. Since then I've tried two more and they never started eating, but it didn't help that they were pretty skinny when I got them.

Last edited:

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

my baby.

Kratos.

09-11-22_Kratos.jpg

09-08-15_120g_kratos.jpg

Watch what happens at 29 seconds :)
[youtube]Mce09VCa70I[/youtube]

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't keep a firefish for more than 6 months. They just disappear.

Me too on the firefish....my latest one was missing for several weeks, then I found it in my sump, where it is still living now.

I have kept Achilles in the past with no problems, but the last 2 I tried I had no luck with. A tip for those who want to keep these is they tend to live where the waves break on the reef, a highly oxygenated turbulent part of the ocean. Hence the strong swimming ability and the skitterish nature of these fish. I think they are one of the most beautiful fish out there, but they are definitely a challenge to find one that will adapt to tank life....

I currently have a Moorish Idol. Despite their reputation, this one has been a wonderful fish so far. I have had it for 9 months, and it has been in captivity at least 11 months, since it spent 2 months in the tank of the guy who got it for me. It eats everything, including flake and pellet food. It had a slight case of ick once, but quickly shook it off. It is always out, very curious and it is a beautiful fish. The only drawback is it eats zoanthids, and has wiped out all my zoas and palys. By far my favorite fish.

Last edited:

x Sarah x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the fish i've owned i found spotted wrasse to be a bugger at first as they supposedly will only eat micro organisms, however after about 2 weeks of owning a "non feeder" it was eating bloodworm, brine shrimp, flakes and pellets!

I have also found yellow head sleeper gobies a bit of a nightmare, we're on our 5th one which is proving to be a hit this time! the 2 first ones died mysteriously, the 3rd refused to eat anything or sift, the 4th got bullied and refused to leave its burrow thus i guess starved... But this one hasn't even made a hide, it constantly swims and sifts sand every hour of the day, and goes mad for bloodworm and brine :) and so far is not taking any form of bullying from my Devil damsel who is a bully, but the goby has put her in her place and now they stay far away from eachother! certainly looking promising, most gutsy little goby i've ever seen!

A friend who owns the shop moaned that we chose the best one as hes putting the remaining 11 in his tank, haha!

I'd love a Morish, but to scared to even consider one as i'm in no way experienced enough to have such fish!

Last edited:

x Sarah x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't keep a firefish for more than 6 months. They just disappear.

Thats a point too!

I've had 4 firefish in total, 2 pairs of different species, first 3 died within 8 months, last one lasted a year then simply disappeared like the rest...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back