Hardest part of keeping a larger tank?

tjbarnes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I am considering upgrading from my 40 gallon Innovative Marine nuvo AIO to a larger reef tank (100-180 gallons). As I was thinking about this, I have been contemplating all the difficulties that will come with this to make sure I am prepared such as moving a lot more water than I currently do, dealing with the inevitable mess of wires which I currently have and will likely be no better with a larger tank, more expense, etc...

So I am here for tips and advice - what are some difficulties/struggles you experience with a larger reef tank that I may not be thinking of? Any advice or tips on things to consider, things I must have in place before pulling the trigger on a larger system?

Thanks!

Tyler

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checky build thread for some info on my 120. Its current from day one.

Best advice is have a plan and all equipment before water hits the system.

Currently I only do a 12g water change once a month.

My system evaporates 2 gallons a day.
Current pic.
20211127_153702.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What immediately comes to mind:

SPOUSE APPROVAL - You know what I mean! If the spouse is on board, you're half way there.
TANK LOCATION - Can the floor take the weight of a large tank and sump.
ELECTRICAL NEEDS - will you need to run more circuits for all you wish to run.

I'm sure I'll think of more.....

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SPOUSE APPROVAL - You know what I mean! If the spouse is on board, you're half way there.

1st ones the BIG one!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with posted. Would add that on a large system pests can be more of an issue in my opinion. Something like aiptasia is pretty easy to spot and get rid of in a 13g tank. In a 130g tank they can be a bit harder to find (and thus spreading before you notice them). Also treating pests can be harder. Common red planaria for example can be knocked out pretty easy in a small tank with flatworm exit and then a 50% WC for safety. In a large tank it gets more expensive for the extra chemicals, but also usually that large of water changes become unreasonable. In a small tank so many issues in my opinion can easily be fixed by a very large water change, but for most people not an option with a large tank.

OP
OP
tjbarnes

tjbarnes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LOL - yes definitely need spouse approval. As for floor support, it'll be on a concrete slab so should be okay there as far as I know.

Besides the Equipment needed and overall cost I think a Larger Aquarium is easy to maintain, parameter fluctuation in a larger aquarium is not as significant, I spend less time on my 200 gallon than I do on my 30 gallon.

Good to know - my main concern is making water and moving that water. Currently I make RODI water in 5 gallon buckets about 50 feet from my tank and walk them over. No big deal with 40 gallon tanks and also not too much water needed to be made.

With a much larger tank, I imagine the time spent making saltwater and RODI water will be much more and water changes would be more intensive. I think I would need to come up with a better way than what I am currently doing.

Having to put your whole arm in the tank and get your shirt soaked

I think I could manage this in a 5 gallon tank. LOL

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL - yes definitely need spouse approval. As for floor support, it'll be on a concrete slab so should be okay there as far as I know.

Good to know - my main concern is making water and moving that water. Currently I make RODI water in 5 gallon buckets about 50 feet from my tank and walk them over. No big deal with 40 gallon tanks and also not too much water needed to be made.

With a much larger tank, I imagine the time spent making saltwater and RODI water will be much more and water changes would be more intensive. I think I would need to come up with a better way than what I am currently doing.

Its very important to plan ahead, I planned for over a year for my new set up with the mindset I wanted it to be easy to maintain and easy to control. plan plan and plan some more you will be happy you did!

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some really great points made above, electrical is definitely one often over looked. In most homes 15amp circuits become quickly overloaded even with just lights/pumps on them. You factor in tanks are usually in living areas with other devices plugged in and the breakers can get finicky quickly.

Humidity control is an issue with some homes for sure, add a few hundred gallons of water and you’ll easily raise your humidity 10-15% without the right HVAC.

Floor supporting the weight is a very real concern as well… Luckily I’ve always had concrete slabs.

Even though it’s the most obvious, I think the cost of large tanks is often miscalculated. Equipment becomes expensive quickly but so does maintaining the tank. Salt, dosing, etc is all more expensive. Then you factor in buying additional live stock “to fill out the tank” costs add up very quickly. Don’t forget all that extra power draw can easily add to your power bill too. Mine is somewhere in the $30-40 more a month range if I look at with/without tank running.

Last, don’t underestimate how difficult moving becomes with a large tank. I just moved with my 200g system and it was tricky to say the least. Just getting movers to move it was a challenge and added $800 to my move.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Well here's the thing - when you devise a system to move the water, it will actually be easier than what you're doing now.

A large mixing station near your RODI hooked up to a decent sized pump and 50ft of tubing takes care of that problem, and makes adding water very easy. I prefer the softer hose that comes with a python set up, and with a flip of a ball valve I'm pumping water into the tank in no time. I can change out 55g of water (if I wanted) in about 20 minutes.

One additional thing to keep in mind - if you use an ATO then you're going to need a much bigger reservoir to hold the water within pumping distance to the tank. I solved this problem by placing the tank on a wall with a closet on the other side. I put a 55g rubber maid in there and just drilled a hole through the wall and slipped a piece of pvc in as a tunnel to house the wires and tubing.

Beyond that - it's just money. More salt, more dosing, more RODI, more fish, more rock, more coral, more fish, more equipment.

The other thing I'll add - I would suggest getting the absolute biggest tank you can fit in a space. Going from a 30 to a 180 is great, but if you can fit a 240 in that space, then you might as well do it all at once!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a nightmare to move my 120g and doing it single handed doesn’t help but at least I can deal with the stress at my own pace.

I think the biggest impact I’ve felt on a bigger tank was the maintenance. I have more fish now and more space for equipment so the amount of regular maintenance has gone up from once every 1-2 weeks to once every few days.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
such as moving a lot more water than I currently do
Pick up two peristaltic pumps (aka dosing pumps). The Versas work well. Put one near the tank and use it to draw water out and send it to a drain or other receptacle. Another pump near your salt water mixing station that pumps water back up to the tank. Now water changes are as easy as hitting a few buttons or setting up a schedule for them and let it do it's thing.
This is exactly what I do on my 40 and I'm considering doing it on my 20gAIO quarantine tank. Even just lugging a single bucket of water up the stairs for that little tank is enough of a annoyance that it might be worth it. Plus, since the new water comes in slowly, you don't have to heat it (at least I don't heat it).

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintenance space. For my 50g I have a nice compact 20g storage tank for RODI water and I mix saltwater in 5g buckets that are easily tucked away. If I move up to my dream 200g I'll need much larger water storage and mixing equipment and without commandeering one of the spare bedrooms (that bedroom is full of junk anyway), I just don't have the space. Pretty much bigger tank means everything bigger.

I also have visions of trying to scrub hair algae off 200g worth of rocks vs 50g worth of rocks. Bigger everything would include needing longer arms and a lot more patience!

Still want to upgrade someday!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say with a larger tank, a mixing station if your planning on WC's is almost a must. Also long hoses to reach your system from the mixing station is a must.

The easier you make maintenance, the more likely it will get done.

For instance my WC regime is simple....

Grab hose, run from kitchen sink to a banjo fitting in my sump area thats attached to a pump in my sump. Turn on pump, pump out 15G. Grab hose in mixing station, turn on mixing station pump, and pump in a fresh 15g.

Takes me about 10 minutes to do a WC.

Before my mixing station I had to plan out WC's. Make RO/DI, make SW, etc, etc. Now I just make water once a month.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three Ws and one E

Weight, can your floor hold it
Water, cost of RODI
Wife, is she good with the added cost

E, big tank big Electric demand.

That's it, besides rock dry or live
Lights, the bigger the more
Larger skimmer... etc etc etc oh and lots of live stock lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back