Hardest part of keeping a larger tank?

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be in the minority here but I have an IM SR80 all in one and a RS 625xxl. The SR80 runs itself and the 625 is a heck of a lot of work keeping everything clean.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hardest part for me is not plotting the next larger tank before the current large tank is at its anniversary

Honestly the cost of the lights is the biggest challenge for me

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some really great points made above, electrical is definitely one often over looked. In most homes 15amp circuits become quickly overloaded even with just lights/pumps on them. You factor in tanks are usually in living areas with other devices plugged in and the breakers can get finicky quickly.

Humidity control is an issue with some homes for sure, add a few hundred gallons of water and you’ll easily raise your humidity 10-15% without the right HVAC.

Floor supporting the weight is a very real concern as well… Luckily I’ve always had concrete slabs.

Even though it’s the most obvious, I think the cost of large tanks is often miscalculated. Equipment becomes expensive quickly but so does maintaining the tank. Salt, dosing, etc is all more expensive. Then you factor in buying additional live stock “to fill out the tank” costs add up very quickly. Don’t forget all that extra power draw can easily add to your power bill too. Mine is somewhere in the $30-40 more a month range if I look at with/without tank running.

Last, don’t underestimate how difficult moving becomes with a large tank. I just moved with my 200g system and it was tricky to say the least. Just getting movers to move it was a challenge and added $800 to my move.
yes your right.. I ran two independent 20amp circuts for my 300 i am a building

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My largest tank is easiest. less work - More enjoyment

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did a lot of reading so I designed and personally build a 5ftx2ftx18inch sump out of 1/4 (6mm) cast acrylic. saved a lot of cash...

5x2 sump glued.jpg 5x2 filter cups and inlets.jpg 5x2 sumpw clamps.jpg

Last edited:

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 131 Gallon DT with 40 gallon sump. The biggest time consumer is probably adding RODI water from my basement into my ATO but its not that big of a deal. The tank evaporates quickly.

I may automate the RODI water from a room on the same level so it auto fills up my ATO if I can figure it out!

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 131 Gallon DT with 40 gallon sump. The biggest time consumer is probably adding RODI water from my basement into my ATO but its not that big of a deal. The tank evaporates quickly.

I may automate the RODI water from a room on the same level so it auto fills up my ATO if I can figure it out!
I am using a high end single dosing pump to do my ato.. I figured out how much water evaps and programed the dosing pump to add just a little less then what evaps a day to the tank. so in a week it al averages out due to room temp and humidity.....I am using a ecotech single dosing pump...cost about 164.00

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the biggest surprise is the energy bill jump when you upgrade. The main contributor would be the heater and the light. But with larger tank also comes with higher humidity. Which means your house will cool down slower, AC unit work harder, and in winter more window condensation. Just the things I never really thought of before I upgraded. But in exchange, you will be able to house and grow a lot more fish and corals of wider variety and that “wow” factor when guests comes over is just priceless.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Its very important to plan ahead, I planned for over a year for my new set up with the mindset I wanted it to be easy to maintain and easy to control. plan plan and plan some more you will be happy you did!
I'm starting to plan mine now! Anticipate starting somewhere in 2023

clownnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water change and upgrade to something even bigger. not a ton of ppl will be able to take your old tank off your hand.

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a tall guy, only about 5'8. My stand was built purposely to be short enough so I can reach down to the very bottom no problem, issues rise when they fall deeper back and I need to struggle a bit more to reach things.

Another thing I have had trouble with was moving the tank during Christmas. My dad and I lifted the roughly 1000 lbs tank and moved across the living room by mounting it on some metal poles and just rolling it across the room

Back