Hardy Reef Safe Fish for Aiptasia Control?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperbands can be finnicky, sensitive fish that may or may not eat aiptasia and may or may not nip corals. The last copperband I had wouldn't touch aiptasia, but enjoyed eating acans.

Matted/aiptasia filefish eat aiptasia in more cases than not, but often when aiptasia are gone will move on to nipping fleshy corals.

Any other fish that will eat aiptasia will also be more likely to go after coral.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperbands can be finnicky, sensitive fish that may or may not eat aiptasia and may or may not nip corals. The last copperband I had wouldn't touch aiptasia, but enjoyed eating acans.

Matted/aiptasia filefish eat aiptasia in more cases than not, but often when aiptasia are gone will move on to nipping fleshy corals.

Any other fish that will eat aiptasia will also be more likely to go after coral.

I’m leaning towards a Cooperband or Pyramid Butterfly

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for biological predators, I'd go with Berghia nudibranches if peppermint shrimp can't survive in your tank

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Melanurus has never bothered my peps or any other shrimp I have. I know it's possible but often there is no problem between melanurus and shrimp.

Ares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be hit or miss. I have a Mel wrasse as well and he eats any snails, hermits, or shrimp that go in the tank so peppermint shrimp weren't an option.

The first aiptasia eating filefish (ORA) split his time between eating my zoas and acans, and aiptasia. I've got another one now (also ORA) and it cleaned my tank up in about 3 months, not a single aiptasia left and he readily eats frozen foods and leaves my corals alone.

roll the dice

UNDRH2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a captive bred (Biota) filefish that was raised on aiptasia and frozen foods. Did a great job on the aiptasia and ate mysis after that. Hasn’t bothered anything else. I should say the tank is just softies and lps , no sps.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matted file fish in one tank (150g) and Klein's butterfly in another (75g). Both of these eat aiptasia that they can reach and also take mysis and pellets. Both were quarantined for 6 weeks before going into my systems and were acclimated to eating mysis and pellets from the start.

I have some aiptasia deep in crevices of Pukani rock that the filefish cannot reach. Bought a CBB but it died in quarantine. Will try another. Peppermint shrimp are hit or miss as others have said.

Bruce

HereWeGoAgain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the uber-expensive bergia nudibranchs. They ate all the aiptasia in sight. Then the nudibranchs disappeared (I assume they died, since their only diet is aiptasia).
Then, new aiptasia began to appear (I assume they were too small for the nudibranchs to see/eat before they starved).
Sigh.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the uber-expensive bergia nudibranchs. They ate all the aiptasia in sight. Then the nudibranchs disappeared (I assume they died, since their only diet is aiptasia).
Then, new aiptasia began to appear (I assume they were too small for the nudibranchs to see/eat before they starved).
Sigh.
Sad, but true. I think that once you have aiptasia, they are always around at some level. Fish and peppermints can keep them mostly under control, but once they are gone, the aiptasia will probably return.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m kinda stuck on my choices, if I get some peppermint shrimps my Melanarus Wrasse will have a feast. If I get a CBB my yellow tang will probably kill it. Not sure what else to do. Some filefish and CBB can also eat coral...sigh

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermints from the Florida Keys are good aip eaters. The ones from other places in the caribbean are so-so - once I started to order direct from a diver in the Keys, then they worked out much better.

Copperband is less than 50% for me.

There are always some baby aips hid out somewhere - if you have an effective solution, don't ever let them go. :)

Jacobscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a peppermint rids them completely and have none left so I've been feeding him and make sure he eats every couple days to keep him satisfied and am so proud of him and he checks every frag or anything I move on the tank and this Saturday morning I woke early to check new frags I'm starting in the frag tank from the day before and he was in the front row of the tank on top of a stripped to bone neon green montipora and is in my display with no issues so far and I guess he just decided montipora digita was tasty and he smoked the quarter sized frag overnight.it is growing back polyps and tissue but man it sucked.he went from #1 of frag tank to last in display on the liked list :)

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about a pyramid butterfly fish? will these eat Aptasia and whats the difference between Aptasia and Majano?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back