Harelquin Tusk w/ velvet. Urgent

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Easter (April 23) I put my eel, kole tang, and Harelquin Tusk in QT for velvet (they didn't have it too bad, but the others in the tank did which went into a separate QT. I treated them for 21 days (I pulled the plug early due to my eel not eating. Everyone seemed fine and was eating. Saturday morning, I went down to feed them and I found my kole tang was dead and my tusk was hiding in a pipe. I got him out of the pipe and I could see that he was breathing heavy and his color was poor. I could also see evidence of the velvet sheen.

I immediately removed the carbon from the filter and dosed 2.2g of CP (55 gallon tank). I also noticed that his fins were frayed so I added some Kanaplex to fight off any bacterial infection he might have. I did a freshwater dip (which did not go well, he lasted 2 minutes and tried to jump out of the bucket 3 times. Then he banged into the side hard. After I put him back in the tank he jumped into the lid once).

After this he was REALLY stressed out. He did cough up something (I assume mucous) after this. At this point I was assuming it was a matter of time (short time). To my surprise, he made it through the night (moved around the tank a few times), and he is still alive this morning (maybe a slight improvement on his breathing, but possibly wishful thinking). I dosed more kanaplex yesterday.

Now, I have a feeling he might pull through and it's an emotional attachment at this point. It's been 4 days (isn't that when the velvet should fall off) and he's a trooper. I don't think another freshwater dip is beneficial. With the amount of stress from last time and his condition I feel that would put him over the edge. He is hanging upright next to a pipe and is alert as his eyes follow me around, but he moves a couple times during the day.

Is there anything else I can do? I am adding Stress Guard to the water as well and some Vita-Chem. vitamins. The eel was out and about swimming yesterday.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you treated the first time around, did you use CP at the same dosage (40mg/gal)? If so, 21 days should have been more than enough time to eradicate velvet (but not ich).

So my next question is, where did you get your CP from (apologies if I've already asked this)? Because it doesn't seem to be working.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did treat at 40mg/gal. I got it from NFP. Now I know there is speculation about the quality of their stuff, but the other tank had my porcupine puffer that was covered to the point his skin was peeling. He has totally recovered and looks great. He had a 28 day regimen.

Maybe I cross contaminated the tanks some how? Maybe it's not velvet, although with the speed it came on I think it is. I'll try to get a pic tonight if he's still with us.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you treated the first time around, did you use CP at the same dosage (40mg/gal)? If so, 21 days should have been more than enough time to eradicate velvet (but not ich).

So my next question is, where did you get your CP from (apologies if I've already asked this)? Because it doesn't seem to be working.
Would I get any better results if I added another gram to make it 60mg/gal. This would help if the purity is being called into question.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I get any better results if I added another gram to make it 60mg/gal. This would help if the purity is being called into question.

It might; would also help if the medication is being biodegraded by bacteria in the QT.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't matter. He was in really bad shape when I got home. I figured I would try a last ditch effort freshwater dip. If I left him he was going to suffocate, if I gave him a dip it might clear his gills out or it might stress him to death. After the dip he perked up a bit, but he was dead less than an hour later. In the last 6 weeks, I lost my angler, foxface, kole tang, and now my beautiful harlequin. 4 of my 7 fish. This hobby sucks right now.

I don't get it, both my tang and tusk were eating voraciously on Thursday.

Now I'm paranoid about my puffer and fuzzy lion. They both appear very healthy and constantly hungry. I did put more CP in the other tank. My eel is still in there and I really don't want to lose him.

RIP Jesse

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your loss. I would expect cross contamination as well, or maybe a mistake in dosing. I know it sucks to lose fish like this, but stick with it. You'll feel really proud of yourself for saving the remaining fish.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your loss. I would expect cross contamination as well, or maybe a mistake in dosing. I know it sucks to lose fish like this, but stick with it. You'll feel really proud of yourself for saving the remaining fish.
Thank you.

How real is effervescent contamination?

I store the used filter socks from my fallow DT right by the QT tank. Is it possible that infected the QT?

What am I supposed to do with my buckets now. If I leave them out in the sun to dry completely, will that kill the parasite? I just bought an Eheim food vacuum that I used in the QT. It was expensive and I don't want to throw that away. I was going to use it on the DT.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How real is effervescent contamination?
Very real.
I store the used filter socks from my fallow DT right by the QT tank. Is it possible that infected the QT?
Possibly. If they are going straight into your QT then maybe. Are you using filter socks on your QT?
What am I supposed to do with my buckets now. If I leave them out in the sun to dry completely, will that kill the parasite? I just bought an Eheim food vacuum that I used in the QT. It was expensive and I don't want to throw that away. I was going to use it on the DT.

Strip it down and sterilize. Throw away any sponges or bio media. Vinegar and water or even bleach... scrub, rinse thoroughly and let dry completely before using again.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly. If they are going straight into your QT then maybe. Are you using filter socks on your QT?

No, no filter socks on the QT, but I am still changing them on the DT.

Strip it down and sterilize. Throw away any sponges or bio media. Vinegar and water or even bleach... scrub, rinse thoroughly and let dry completely before using again.

Maybe you are not familiar with the tool. It is a small handheld vacuum to suck out uneaten food without having to get a hose and bucket. I'll clean it up with some vinegar and leave it in the sun for a day.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C5U2SU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no filter socks on the QT, but I am still changing them on the DT.

Maybe you are not familiar with the tool. It is a small handheld vacuum to suck out uneaten food without having to get a hose and bucket. I'll clean it up with some vinegar and leave it in the sun for a day.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C5U2SU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh gosh. I know that thing. They kinda suck from my and other's experience with them. It took seeing the picture for me to remember what it was! lol I'd toss that thing honestly, but if you really want to keep it, then running it in a bucket of vinegar and water for a while, then full fresh water may do the trick. Let it dry for several days before attempting to use again in saltwater.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh. I know that thing. They kinda suck from my and other's experience with them. It took seeing the picture for me to remember what it was! lol I'd toss that thing honestly, but if you really want to keep it, then running it in a bucket of vinegar and water for a while, then full fresh water may do the trick. Let it dry for several days before attempting to use again in saltwater.
I've used it a few times and I think it works well if you set your expectations. I'm not cleaning the tank with it, just going around and picking up uneaten food.

It's not going anywhere for at least 2 years. That's the warranty

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jasonrusso I've been out of the loop for awhile. Are you dosing CP into a tank with rock/sand or a bare bottom, rockless environment?

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jasonrusso I've been out of the loop for awhile. Are you dosing CP into a tank with rock/sand or a bare bottom, rockless environment?
44a7129b48c08701ddf032be8e9fae48.jpg
d351145ca2a7cfad6ebbdfa8935173b6.jpg

The one with the puffer is a 20g long, the other is a 55.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jasonrusso Gotcha. ;) My best guess, then, for the erratic results you are experiencing with CP is the product's purity.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back