Harlequin Tusk in reef tank

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a beautiful fish. Wife really wants one. Just curious if anyone keeps one in a mixed reef and if so what your experience has been?

It’s my understanding they will go after snails and hermits.

Sooooo we talking small snails or will they go after the larger Mexican Turbo’s when the fish is larger?

What about urchins?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my fish buyer's reference with regard to interfish compatibility:

"Juveniles are generally peaceful toward unrelated species, but become bolder and more aggressive as they mature. Smaller or more docile species may be bullied, and very small tankmates may even be eaten. Best kept with large, robust fishes. Do not keep it with others of its own species."

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect to invertebrates:

"Harmless to sessile invertebrates and poses less of a threat than other large wrasses to snails, starfishes, and hermit crabs. However, it is likely to eat shrimps and small crabs."

Full disclosure: This reference has been less than an authoritative guide, but tends to be correct when erring on the side of caution.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tusk.jpg

I have had a tusk in my reef for two years. He is perfectly safe with all corals. He does eat all snails and crabs. Also eats vermatids :) Does not touch cucumbers. I would always keep one in a reef, love these guys.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tusk.jpg

I have had a tusk in my reef for two years. He is perfectly safe with all corals. He does eat all snails and crabs. Also eats vermatids :) Does not touch cucumbers. I would always keep one in a reef, love these guys.
Interesting. How well does he eat vermetids?

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Harlequin Tuskfish is my all-time favorite fish and I hadn't kept one a couple of decades as I haven't had a FOWLR system. But when I needed to reboot my 120gal reef system, I decided that I wanted to keep a smaller tusk in my mixed reef.

The tusk will make quick work of any shrimps and/or crabs in the reef. I do have Banded Trochus Snails in my tank which fare well against the tusk. The tusk doesn't bother the snails, however if a snail falls and cannot get flipped back over, the tusk will take the opportunity and make a meal of the snail. I have no urchins.

I don't plan on keeping smaller fish in this reef. My tusk is still small, but I don't want the risk of it hunting any bennies, gobies, basslets or dartfish.

The tusk doesn't bother any of the corals. It does however like to pick up pieces of my substrate (TLF ReBorn media) while creating hiding spots and drop them wherever it feels like; sometimes on top of LPS corals on the bottom.
I am also going to avoid adding any clams; another risk not worth taking.

Tusks are gorgeous fish, but they do limit your livestock selection.
Good luck.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tusk fish are fantastic fish, super hardy, and fun additions to the aquarium. They wont harm corals but can attack snails, hermits, crabs, shrimp etc. as they mature.

Good-luck!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to re-home mine after about a year because he turned aggressive. He always ate snails, crabs, etc but I had other large wrasses so I wasn't keeping a CUC anyways.

Treasure Coast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a Australian Male I got as a baby 3 years ago. Great tank mate, likes caves but will come out every other minute or so and do his swim across the tank. Eats some snails, but not enough to worry about usually ones that have flipped over. Never touches corals. Hot looking fish.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will just eat your cuc but good otherwise if given enough space.

OP
OP
steveb

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to re-home mine after about a year because he turned aggressive. He always ate snails, crabs, etc but I had other large wrasses so I wasn't keeping a CUC anyways.

Any particular fish he was aggressive towards?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular fish he was aggressive towards?
He turned on my Kole Tang and the other wrasses. Also wouldn't let me add anything new, which was what prompted me to trade him back in.

OP
OP
steveb

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok well that is a bummer. CUC eating I can live with. Going after other fish not so much.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was coral safe.Fine with my other fish,including ones he could chew up, if he wanted to. All my stomatella snails were eaten.

OP
OP
steveb

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got a 4” or so Aussie Tusk. Currently in QT.

Now that I’m looking back over my thread I’m beginning to wonder about the wisdom of my purchase. I had forgotten about the small fish warning. I’m about to add several purple fire fish fish, some blue gudgeon, some zebra dart fish and a blue dot jawfish to the display tank.

Last edited:

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tusk fish in general are great community fish and hardy additions. Of course there are the exceptions to the rule but you shouldn’t worry.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back