Harlequin tusk laying on side help!!

Leonidas1453

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought an harlequin tusk 2 weeks ago he was healthy n was eating shrimp...day before yesterday I brought some live ghost shrimp n feeder guppies to feed..he ate 3-4 guppies n 2 shrimps....yest.. he caught n ate a newly bought yellow tail damsel...n he is lying oh his side today not moving..I really don't wanna loose this fish as it's really rare in my area

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow - very unusual for a fish to go from eating well to moribund so quickly. It is breathing a bit fast, and I see some minor fin damage. What are the white spots around the anal opening, just sand?

Is there anything else in the tank with it now, if so, do they show any symptoms? I'm asking this because you need to rule out water quality issues, and those issues tend to affect more than just one animal.

All I can think of is that something that it ate caused internal damage/blockage - shrimp have spiky rostrums and the damselfish has dorsal spines. If so, there isn't anything to be done about it, other than to give it time.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back