Harlequin Tusk with Butterflies or other Wrasses

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finalizing my stocking list for the 125. Got a trio of butterflies from Emerald Bay this past weekend. They are in QT. Ive always had a Tusk on my fish list for this tank, but i also have a mated pair of Bluehead wrasse already in the tank. Am i asking for trouble? Im trying to decide between a tusk and a blue throat trigger for the next fish before any tang.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is with the wrasse pair you already have in your tank. They can be aggressive with new tank mates. Before you add the harlequin tusk I would remove the wrasse pair out then reintroduce them all at once. Or take the chance to see how they do when you introduce the tusk. The butterflies I'm not too worried about as they can fend for themselves.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can work out or it could go very poorly. It’s so difficult to know. The advice above could go well. A large social acclimation box might be a good alternative. With large wrasse mixing, it’s always a gamble. A way to mitigate the risk sometimes is to add several at a time but in a 125 you don’t have enough real estate to do that, IMO.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! i ended up loosing the Butterfly trio i had in QT, to what i can only assume was a case of velvet. SO im restarting the QT, and instead of a tusk, as much as i love it, i think im going to do a Pearlscale, try another Pakistan, and get a rabbitfish.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it a tusk and pearl scale? That's what I saw there when I visited but I didn't want to get them due to no quarantine treatment and such. Part of the reason why I never visit that store. Their pricing is great and all, but not worth the hassel.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i get all my fish from Emerald with no troubles. this definitely was not a LFS issue. Pakistans dont always travel well, so i got bit, but i QT every new one for good Measure. My clown, Flame hawk, wrasses, and flame angel all came from there. I think in this case its just a one off. Ill be getting more after the holidays to start fleshing out the 125.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back