OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was initially worried about water changes on a tank this size- but 40 gallons is an absolute breeze. I could do bigger waterchanges with a larger bucket, but 15% every two weeks should be pretty good.

eCzV7nJ.jpg

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, still clouds up from sand particulates. My reefer 350's sand is great nice all the tiny particles are already out.... Go skimmer go! :)

wrphZiw.jpg

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LNXlEXS.jpg

0 tds!

I used to use resin till output was 7tds or so. But given that this is the “family” tank, my dad pays for resin. So I can swap resin canisters when I read 1 LOL. Also, I am using prepackaged DI in canisters for $14 rather than the BRS stuff for $12. Makes life so much easier. No DI pellets everywhere....

Crazy how small that 40g trash can looks! I’m tempted to get a 100g trash can. Since cost of salt isn’t on me, bigger water changes would just improve the water quality more . Or perhaps stress sticks.

@bubbaque if you didn’t have to pay for salt, would you do larger ~30% water changes? Fritz RPM, so alk matches. The amount of time is the same since I would just use larger diameter tubing/bigger pump.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LNXlEXS.jpg

0 tds!

I used to use resin till output was 7tds or so. But given that this is the “family” tank, my dad pays for resin. So I can swap resin canisters when I read 1 LOL. Also, I am using prepackaged DI in canisters for $14 rather than the BRS stuff for $12. Makes life so much easier. No DI pellets everywhere....

Crazy how small that 40g trash can looks! I’m tempted to get a 100g trash can. Since cost of salt isn’t on me, bigger water changes would just improve the water quality more . Or perhaps stress sticks.

@bubbaque if you didn’t have to pay for salt, would you do larger ~30% water changes? Fritz RPM, so alk matches. The amount of time is the same since I would just use larger diameter tubing/bigger pump.
Nice build! I really like the stand.

I am a fan of water changes and I wish I could do larger than my 10% at a time. If money wasn’t an issue or space trying to mix up so much water at a time I’d probably try the 30% and see how things react.

Thanks for the tag, I’ll be following along!

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! I really like the stand.

I am a fan of water changes and I wish I could do larger than my 10% at a time. If money wasn’t an issue or space trying to mix up so much water at a time I’d probably try the 30% and see how things react.

Thanks for the tag, I’ll be following along!

I will see if I can get a 100 gallon container- that should take bout 24 hours to fill. So far the sticks here are encrusting well with nice PE, but all a bit dark in coloration. Might be due to the Radions being set too low, I haven't really tested the water beyond Alk yet.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is going great! I added 6 Radion diffusers to the lighting, since I was reading some hotspots with a borrowed par meter.

I’ve been feeding 4-5 cubes a day, and then filling up the algae clip daily. The tangs are fat & I still have 5/5 of them!! Phosphates midway between 0.00 and 0.03 on salifert low range test, right where I want them.

The refugium failed- all chaeto melted :confused:

Here is sailfin, liutenant, and powder blue munching on breakfast. The Tomini and blue tang are more shy, and usually eat once these guys move away. @4FordFamily I briefly used a mirror when I saw the powder blue picking on the sailfin, but after a week that went away. Thrilled with this so far- I think they are all past the “risky” period!

mlCVe0V.jpg

Last edited:

Bnagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your par readings with the t5+radions? / what are you running radions at?

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your par readings with the t5+radions? / what are you running radions at?

Hello sir! I am running radions at 50% on the AB+ program. I see 350 par at the middle of the tank, where the acros are, and then around 200 on the sand bed. In the future I may change this, increasing the power and/or add more actinics.

I was seeing some spotlighting, differences in par horizontally, so installed the radion diffusers. That evened it out quite a bit.

nZaaNVJ.jpg

jdrc9Vy.jpg

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big haul from Top Shelf Aquatics

Bunch of polyps

xpNwnca.jpg

2 ricordia frags, Aequituberculata, bicolor hammer, two fully encrusted megachrome montipora (might steal one for my smaller tank ), sunfire grafted cap, pink Millipora, unknown green acro

UXwHP8X.jpg

Waly Disney, PC rainbow, Tyree pink lemonade.

OyREs9B.jpg

Not pictured (whoops): Blue chunker acro, yellow twist.

upload_2018-12-1_15-40-44.gif

MikeAndrews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank! I have a 190 that is full and was considering upsizing to a 350. What brand tank do you have?

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the stand and canopy, looks great. How is everything going now?

Hello sir! Everything is going really well here. The acropora from @Battlecorals are all coloring up really well, and I am continuing to add fish slowly. There has been some ich when I introduce fish, but I am following @Paul B 's advice and just feeding really nutritious food. The spots are all gone currently, so im pretty happy with that.

I added a maricultured colony that was FULL of Acro crabs. The local fish store was unpacking them and I was able to pick out 7-8 crabs from the bags.

Here is the colony

Xj1IVis.jpg

And its hitchhiker:
8KcSE0D.jpg

I also added some more fish:

fexrooY.jpg

VS26E2A.jpg

n83ZVb8.jpg

e1cKoCn.jpg

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello sir! Everything is going really well here. The acropora from @Battlecorals are all coloring up really well, and I am continuing to add fish slowly. There has been some ich when I introduce fish, but I am following @Paul B 's advice and just feeding really nutritious food. The spots are all gone currently, so im pretty happy with that.

I added a maricultured colony that was FULL of Acro crabs. The local fish store was unpacking them and I was able to pick out 7-8 crabs from the bags.

Here is the colony

Xj1IVis.jpg

And its hitchhiker:
8KcSE0D.jpg

I also added some more fish:

fexrooY.jpg

VS26E2A.jpg

n83ZVb8.jpg

e1cKoCn.jpg

awesome! glad to hear everything is going great, I am jealous of the acro crabs. I had one awhile ago but it died, not sure if maybe one of my wrasse got it or what.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back