Has Anyone Cleaned Their Red Sea Reefer Downpipe Gate Valve?

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in knowing if anyone has taken apart their Red Sea Reefer Gate valve to clean it. If so, please share your experience and any differences observed with your system!

RRS42217-3.jpg

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dreading mine but this video helps. Might tackle it this weekend. Had a weird issue where the overflow was way too low and had to turn off and back on my return and everything is normal again. Might have some snails up in there I think they had babies, the little small white shelled jerks are all over at night.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dreading mine but this video helps. Might tackle it this weekend. Had a weird issue where the overflow was way too low and had to turn off and back on my return and everything is normal again. Might have some snails up in there I think they had babies, the little small white shelled ******** are all over at night.

Thanks for sharing the video. In my opinion the RS valve is too sensitive and extremely difficult to dial in. There are other types of valves in the market that are easier to control and they would make life easy for everyone if they used them instead.

OP
OP
stacksoner

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the video. In my opinion the RS valve is too sensitive and extremely difficult to dial in. There are other types of valves in the market that are easier to control and they would make life easy for everyone if they used them instead.

Mine has sucked forever. It's like trying to use a salt shaker that's missing its top.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been wanting to switch out to a decent gate valve but it looks like it’s not so straight forward based on what I have researched. I would rather deal with the stock valve than cause a bigger issue by changing parts. It’s very intimidating.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to switch out to a decent gate valve but it looks like it’s not so straight forward based on what I have researched. I would rather deal with the stock valve than cause a bigger issue by changing parts. It’s very intimidating.

Red Sea's customer service dept must have received countless calls about this temperamental valve and I am surprised that they have't improved it.
Also they should offer an option to their float ATO mechanism as an upgrade partnering with a company like Tunze like they did this with Ai on the Hydra LED's in their "Deluxe" model Reefers.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always struggling with having to adjust the gate value! I didn't even it could be taken apart. I will have to try that and see if it helps.
Thanks for sharing this!

Jlyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cleaned the valves on both of my reefer tanks. It is super simple to do and one of them had a bunch of baby snails in it which I thought for sure would be a solution to the common problem but a day later and still dealing with the fluctuations. It’s literally just 4 Allen bolts and it comes right apart. Literally took me less than 5 minutes per tank to clean. Going to make the switch at some point to different valves but just haven’t bit the bullet yet.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cleaned the valves on both of my reefer tanks. It is super simple to do and one of them had a bunch of baby snails in it which I thought for sure would be a solution to the common problem but a day later and still dealing with the fluctuations. It’s literally just 4 Allen bolts and it comes right apart. Literally took me less than 5 minutes per tank to clean. Going to make the switch at some point to different valves but just haven’t bit the bullet yet.

What are the other options for gate valves that fit this tank plumbing?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is the fluctuations that are driving me crazy, a tiny turn can result in a giant change of the water level in the overflow area! :mad:
That being said I will try cleaning mine this weekend when I have a few minutes to spare.

Jlyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the other options for gate valves that fit this tank plumbing?

The other option is a spears gate valve. You have to get an extra return adapter piece and then hard plumb new pvc. There’s a great thread on here on the process. Just haven’t done it yet

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other option is a spears gate valve. You have to get an extra return adapter piece and then hard plumb new pvc. There’s a great thread on here on the process. Just haven’t done it yet

For a newbie like me making any plumbing change like this now that the tank is up and running is a major PIA!!! :(

Jlyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a newbie like me making any plumbing change like this now that the tank is up and running is a major PIA!!! :(

Technically it isn’t since you can source all the parts and assemble before hand and then when you want to make the switch just shut off your return and screw in the new union. The actual swap would be quick.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically it isn’t since you can source all the parts and assemble before hand and then when you want to make the switch just shut off your return and screw in the new union. The actual swap would be quick.

If I decide to make the switch I would have my LFS do it in order to guarantee I don't screw it up and have a leak! ;)

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you please post the link to this thread? thanks

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone having trouble with the red Sea reefer valve is interested I will have parts kits that will let you keep the stock valve and add a threaded gate valve directly underneath. To me this is beneficial for a few reasons.

#1 if the gate valve doesn't work for you you can just leave it open or eliminate it altogether going back to stock configuration without having to order a new expensive replacement from red Sea

#2 if your gate valve should ever go bad you can easily replace it instead of again having to order a replacement downpipe from red Sea

#3 gate valves seem to work much better then the stock valve

OP
OP
stacksoner

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick follow up here. I did the deed tonight and was shocked at the filth I observed in there. It bothered me so much that I ended up taking apartment all plumbing for a deep clean. I'm wondering if the junk/organisms in my plumbing is what's responsible for my ongoing tank ailments...

IMG_20190813_154033.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back