Has Anyone Cleaned Their Red Sea Reefer Downpipe Gate Valve?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick follow up here. I did the deed tonight and was shocked at the filth I observed in there. It bothered me so much that I ended up taking apartment all plumbing for a deep clean. I'm wondering if the junk/organisms in my plumbing is what's responsible for my ongoing tank ailments...

I setup my tank in February and have considered cleaning my valve, how long has your tank been in operation and can I assume this is the first time you have cleaned yours?

Hypnotoad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a reefer, but am contemplating an upgrade and a reefer is on the list. My research suggests many people switch to a gate valve. Here's a really good, clear video on how to do it. Might make it less intimidating for some of y'all

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few comments.

My tank has been going for three years without opening up the plumbing. Every two months or so the valve might need a small tweak.

One CANNOT blame the valve for reliability issues. Red Sea did not invent this overflow system. If you are having trouble dialing in the valve, make smaller adjustments.

One common mistake is to blame the valve for the performance of your return pump. Modern DC pumps do not have the same reliability of 60hz AC pumps. Their output can vary.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One common mistake is to blame the valve for the performance of your return pump. Modern DC pumps do not have the same reliability of 60hz AC pumps. Their output can vary.
Isn't that the point of installing a DC pump:rolleyes:

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this from red sea hope it helps you in someway

First turn off any internal flow pumps, this will ensure the issue is the flow adjustment and not the weir being surged by flow pump wave action. Turn the valve fully clockwise to close the valve, this will send the water over the centre pipe which is the overflow.
Slowly open the valve, allowing a few minutes between each adjustment, when you get to final adjustments they will be no more than 0.5 to 1mm increments. You will see the level fall lower than the centre pipe overflow, you are looking for a level 1 to 2 cm below the top edge of the over flow pipe.

The large bore pipe on the right underflows, the overflow point of this pipe is lower than the centre overflow pipe, the balance between the main down flow pipe and the overflow is what ensures the silent operation. Once you have a balanced quiet down flow you can restart any internal pumps, if the weir becomes noisy again alter the height or the flow cycle of the flow pumps so as not to surge the weir.

If you are having issues opening and closing the down flow valve you will first need to check the diaphragm within the valve is clear of any obstruction, maintenance of the down flow valve is a simple procedure as follows.

1. Stop the main return pump and isolate from the mains to prevent accidental starting.
2. Open the down flow valve fully allowing it to drain to the sump.
3. Remove the bolt dust caps and remove the four screws with an Allen key.
4. Gently remove the head of the valve.
5. Clean the body of the valve whilst it is still attached, remove any deposits from the head of the valve, you may need to remove the diaphragm and soak in a weak acid solution (White Vinegar) this will help remove and calcium and bio film deposits. The valve head may look typically look like the following.
cid:image006.jpg@01D39B40.A06C4A20

Before Cleaning After Cleaning
6. Then simply replace the Valve Head ensuring the lugs shown in the after-cleaning picture are horizontal, these will locate into lugs on the valve body.
7. Replace the four screws, when reassembling the valve assembly on the body, ensure that all four screws are tight enough to give a watertight seal however do not use excessive force.
8. Replace the rubber plugs.
9. Return the main return pump to service and check for leaks.

Another known issue is one of variable mains voltage, this alters the hertz cycle of any return pump that is of an AC type, we have found that DC pumps which are transformed offer a much more stable voltage offering a more stable flow, this is also something worth consideration

OP
OP
stacksoner

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup my tank in February and have considered cleaning my valve, how long has your tank been in operation and can I assume this is the first time you have cleaned yours?
2 years. This was my first time cleaning it. I have noticed debris flying out of my return pump when I power it off and on again, and decided it was time.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a reefer, but am contemplating an upgrade and a reefer is on the list. My research suggests many people switch to a gate valve. Here's a really good, clear video on how to do it. Might make it less intimidating for some of y'all

Thanks for sharing this video. I am in the process of changing mind out now. Tired of constantly having to adjust it and clean it.

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having major issues with my Reefer return valve, having to adjust it several times a day.
Recently I have been dosing vibrant to sort out some GHA and as my display started to clean up I have noticed that I very rarely have to adjust the valve any more. Maybe once a week at the most.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning to discover water pouring into my overflow pipe and no matter how much I adjusted it the RS valve the water level didn't change. It has been 6 months since the tank was setup so I decided to clean the inside of the RS valve and it took all of 5 minutes. Like others when I opened it up I discovered some baby snails that were most likely causing the issue. I rinsed the valve head part in a bowl with RO water with a brush, there was no need for white vinegar as all of the crud came right off. I am up and running again, the water level is where it should be and wanted to thank everyone that contributed to this topic!!!

swolfe78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone having trouble with the red Sea reefer valve is interested I will have parts kits that will let you keep the stock valve and add a threaded gate valve directly underneath. To me this is beneficial for a few reasons.

#1 if the gate valve doesn't work for you you can just leave it open or eliminate it altogether going back to stock configuration without having to order a new expensive replacement from red Sea

#2 if your gate valve should ever go bad you can easily replace it instead of again having to order a replacement downpipe from red Sea

#3 gate valves seem to work much better then the stock valve
I would be interested, tell me more!
thanks

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea's customer service dept must have received countless calls about this temperamental valve and I am surprised that they have't improved it.
Also they should offer an option to their float ATO mechanism as an upgrade partnering with a company like Tunze like they did this with Ai on the Hydra LED's in their "Deluxe" model Reefers.
Yes! 100% agree. Let's go Red Sea :p

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my E-260 valve set where I want it and use the speed adjustment on my DC pump, (Vectra S1) to vary water level in the rear weir area.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am fighting the same fight.. anyone replaced the old "black" valve with a new "red" valve?
I am unsure if this helps though...

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It's easier to adjust and a little more accurate.
OK, I will order it and then replace it.
Im so tired of adjusting it daily...

sometimes its so noisy and water is totaly down in the box.. then the next morning waterlevel is at emergency pipe..
I mean, whats happening?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back