Has anyone ever blended two dry salt mixes to make a combo batch of dry mix?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Meaning....

Take a bucket of expensive Tropic Marin Pro and a bucket of more economical salt.... then mix the two dry mixes together 1:1 into a single dry mix?

Last edited:

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
many people mix Instant ocean and Reef crystals together to balance out some of the higher levels in reef crystals. I have also heard the same with red sea blue and black buckets.

It all depends on the target numbers you are shooting for.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you trying to do by mixing the 2 different salts? Is it to save money?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its because different salts have different levels of stuff and it could not work well together
I would've thought it would just average out the levels of elements based on the ratio of how much of each brand is used, but idk that was just an assumption on my part.

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would've thought it would just average out the levels of elements based on the ratio of how much of each brand is used, but idk that was just an assumption on my part.
I just remembered you are not supposed to mix natural salt with artificial salt

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sure, salt will mix with any salt, far as my experience is concerned. It is best to add it to your tank via AWC, as to not throw off your current parameters with one large WC.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did but not exactly dry mix. I used to and still like to run my tank with tropic marin pro and aquaforest pro salt together. I generally mix them in 3:1 ratio. The Af salt has some amino and probiotic bacteria which helps in maintaining the nutrient balance.

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t want to waste some Instant Ocean my brother gave me. When I do a 5 gallon water change, about 1/5th of the water change salt is Instant Ocean. The other 4/5ths is Red Sea Coral Pro. No ill affects that I have noticed, aside from mixing up to a slightly lower alk level.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose... when I switched from one salt type to another, there would be one barrel where I used the last of one salt and the first of a new salt. Getting ready to do it again... quitting on the TM Classic and returning to good old IO.

If you include different production lots in your definition of 'different' salt mixes, then I suppose I do it pretty regularly.

Never seen it cause a problem.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current mix has three: Tropic Marin Classic, Red Sea Blue Bucket and IO. I typically buy TMC and RS BB and mix 50/50, but found some old (but still good) IO so added some of that in, too. IME, as long as the mix mixes up to the parameters you want, it's all good.

BTW - The most I've ever blended together was four different salt brands :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you trying to do by mixing the 2 different salts? Is it to save money?
Its taking the pharmaceutical grade elements of Tropic Marin and the economical properties of a salt thst costs half the price and mix together to HOPEFULLY strike a balance

My thinking is take a great salt and mix it with a good salt and render smthg that lies btwn good and great at a decent price

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Meaning....

Take a bucket of expensive Tropic Marin Pro and a bucket of more economical salt.... then mix the two dry mixes together 1:1 into a single dry mix?

I use 3 different salts every time I do a water change. I figure if there is a bad batch somewhere along the lines the effects will be minimized. Also they all contain different chemicals/elements so why not add it all?

Usually change either 45 or 60 gallons and the ratio as follows:

45 gal change = 1 part I/O regular, 1 part I/O reef crystals, 1 part Coralife

60 gal change = 2 parts I/O regular, 1 part I/O reef crystals, 1 part Coralife

I chose these three because they are the cheapest I can find.

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm alternating TM Pro and IO for my water changes, with my fish and coral quarantine tanks getting a heavier dose of IO. I'm doing this primarily because my system is relatively new and because I'm doing frequent water changes in my fish QT due to medication regimens. The greater percentage of salt in my display tank is TM. In the future I'm planning to use TM Pro exclusively, though availability issues may demand that I change salts altogether.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back