Has anyone glued/apoxy rocks to the back of your cube? I need advice.

Mary Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to apoxy/glue a rock the size of a closed fist to the back wall of the display tank. It would go below the returning pump’s spout, half way. I like the floating effect, but I can also rest it on the rocks, but Ideally I would like it floating.
The rock has an anemone on it so I would have to keep the rock submerged as I glue it.
Any ideas on how to do it, and what type of apoxy to use? If you have done it already, can you tell me how you did it?
Thank you!
Mc

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the back wall you want to glue too is glass, you’ll have a hard time getting a good bond with any glue I can think of.

if it’s plastic, super glue should bond to it. The thick super glue that is used for mounting frags should work. I think super glue bonds plastic by slightly melting it, so my concern is that it may emit toxicity because of its size.

i have used both JB waterweld epoxy and gel superglue underwater with success.

i hope others will chime in.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to apoxy/glue a rock the size of a closed fist to the back wall of the display tank. It would go below the returning pump’s spout, half way. I like the floating effect, but I can also rest it on the rocks, but Ideally I would like it floating.
The rock has an anemone on it so I would have to keep the rock submerged as I glue it.
Any ideas on how to do it, and what type of apoxy to use? If you have done it already, can you tell me how you did it?
Thank you!
Mc

It's ironic that you asked this question. I hadn't thought about it, but happened to see a video yesterday a guy who did something similar, but he used magnets. Here's the video that might give you some ideas. GL

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the back wall you want to glue too is glass, you’ll have a hard time getting a good bond with any glue I can think of.

if it’s plastic, super glue should bond to it. The thick super glue that is used for mounting frags should work. I think super glue bonds plastic by slightly melting it, so my concern is that it may emit toxicity because of its size.

i have used both JB waterweld epoxy and gel superglue underwater with success.

i hope others will chime in.

maybe there is a two part epoxy that is water safe for fish, you can scratch the glass where it will be and will adhere much

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium silicone. This whole piece was floating.

20190725_003740.jpg 20190725_003713.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Mc
Also, glue or epoxy a rare earth magnet that has epoxy coating or in plastic, then hold with other magnet outside. Then you can relocate when you please.

OP
OP
Mary Carmen

Mary Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry that if you don't like it or want to rescape later, it would be almost impossible to, without ruining the tank
I am confident it will look nice for my 29g coralife biocube cube. I also don’t think I can rescape it at this point. I am thinking about getting a second, bigger tank if I were to change something.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%

Back