Has anyone gotten a tank/supplies donated to a school?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious if anyone has had success getting a tank and supplies donated to a school/education center? My Mom is the director of education at a local college I attend…and ever since getting in the hobby she has expressed an interest in getting a tank for the education center. I’ve been reaching out to various companies and reached out to a local company who donates tanks to schools and am waiting on a reply. Anyone have any contacts or experience with this and/or recommendations on who I should reach out to in order to make this a reality? I’m located in Pennsylvania.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this thread. Currently setting up a tank in school. Have already gotten some livestock donated that's waiting in my own tank, but have mostly been doing everything out of pocket.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now that I’m thinking about it. I think I may do a fish only with rock tank. I could get a pufferfish for the tank and a few other medium to large sized fish and I think a 75-100 gallon would work for this and even a smaller tank for a smaller species.

Last edited:

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently helping a teacher with an in classroom tank. Hobbyists and local clubs are the best way to go. If you have a local lfs they may help if they can put their name on it (donated by...) I've donated supplies, live stock, time, and lots of advice. I've also done full water testing panels and will continue to assist as long as she needs. I think it's important to give back in this hobby.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am currently helping a teacher with an in classroom tank. Hobbyists and local clubs are the best way to go. If you have a local lfs they may help if they can put their name on it (donated by...) I've donated supplies, live stock, time, and lots of advice. I've also done full water testing panels and will continue to assist as long as she needs. I think it's important to give back in this hobby.
Same. I just dropped off some stuff I donated to a teacher that reach out on a sale thread I had. I'd just post in the classifieds for "wanting tank/equipment" and see if anyone has stuff to donate locally. I think it is really cool for a school to want to put up a tank for educational purposes for kids.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone has had success getting a tank and supplies donated to a school/education center? My Mom is the director of education at a local college I attend…and ever since getting in the hobby she has expressed an interest in getting a tank for the education center. I’ve been reaching out to various companies and reached out to a local company who donates tanks to schools and am waiting on a reply. Anyone have any contacts or experience with this and/or recommendations on who I should reach out to in order to make this a reality? I’m located in Pennsylvania.
Hit up the biology department

Krux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Our local club got set us as a 403c many years back, part of our charter was establishing a program to get equipment and livestock to local schools. Having that status made it easier to get donations from companies. Might be something to look into with your local club.

There hasn't been a lot of activity since the pandemic started, but here is the forum if you want to browse:

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same. I just dropped off some stuff I donated to a teacher that reach out on a sale thread I had. I'd just post in the classifieds for "wanting tank/equipment" and see if anyone has stuff to donate locally. I think it is really cool for a school to want to put up a tank for educational purposes for kids.
That’s good idea!

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could always through an add on craigslist. There used to be a guy locally who would rescue bettas and guppies that people no longer wanted and he would get them into school/educational programs for kids. . .

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back