Has anyone had success with a new build and no sand?

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen several large tanks that are sandless. The sand is my fish tank is an annoyance. My question is in an AIO reef nano tank can you be successful with just rock and forgo the sand? Thanks for your input.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen several large tanks that are sandless. The sand is my fish tank is an annoyance. My question is in an AIO reef nano tank can you be successful with just rock and forgo the sand? Thanks for your input.
Recently had a kink on chiller hose, but my 24 gallon AIO had no sand and 20+ baby sun cup corals . Now I have a 46 gallon DT with a few baby black sun cup corals, no sand. But I do have in refugium some real coral rock to help with ph. You do need crush coral rock or some sand help with ph. I think
Screenshot_20190428-133618.png

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from my understanding & what BRS says BB are harder the 1st year but after that easier than sand after that. I think some filter bio -media in the AIO would be needed to expand your surface area for Bac. to grow on. + if you use actual LR over dry rock I bet that would help out tons. if not use bottaled bac. and no lights for a long cycle.
just my 2 cents

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand offers a few advantages outside aesthetics. Providing it’s aragonite based it will counter acids by breaking down and buffer the ph.

As stated it provides a larger surface area for bacteria.

It can act as a nutrient sink and or allow for certain low oxygen loving strains to help convert nitrates.

It provides habitat for micro fauna.

Downsides are those mentioned nutrient sinks can become problematic over time.
Releasing back in to water column along with the potential of sulphur dioxide.

Some grain sizes are a pain with power heads.

Some microfauna the sand attracts is less than desirable.

If I were going no sand in a new aquarium I’d want to pay more attention to ph and dkh.
Probably invest in ceramic media and out in filter basket to provide suitable surface area.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a few bare bottom tank guys, mostly high flow sps tanks. They weren't 100% thrilled with it in the beginning fighting different nutrient spikes and algaes and ph swings. I know one guy added a bunch if those marine pure bricks to his sump which helped, another guy added a refugium separate from his tank for nutrient export, my other buddy fought through it kept on top of it and now his whole bottom glass is covered in coraline, and entrusting corals. It looks amazing.

I personally keep a sand bed about 3 inches deep, I like having wrasses and for certain types it's part of the husbandry. For me the worst part of sand is originally making the mistake of using really nice looking sugar sand. It looked amazing but the powerheads always created a sandstorm. After a year of dealing with it and constantly cleaning sand from my sump and filter socks. I started to slowly replace my sand over a few monthswith a more coarse Fiji sand. I added about 100 lbs of sand and never had any algae problems.

For me personally I like the look of the sand bottom as well bc for me it's more natural looking. It's all about what you like and what you are willing to do to maintain what you want.

Hope my input helped.

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from my understanding & what BRS says BB are harder the 1st year but after that easier than sand after that. I think some filter bio -media in the AIO would be needed to expand your surface area for Bac. to grow on. + if you use actual LR over dry rock I bet that would help out tons. if not use bottaled bac. and no lights for a long cycle.
just my 2 cents
Thank you for your input. I am planning on a long cycle.

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand offers a few advantages outside aesthetics. Providing it’s aragonite based it will counter acids by breaking down and buffer the ph.

As stated it provides a larger surface area for bacteria.

It can act as a nutrient sink and or allow for certain low oxygen loving strains to help convert nitrates.

It provides habitat for micro fauna.

Downsides are those mentioned nutrient sinks can become problematic over time.
Releasing back in to water column along with the potential of sulphur dioxide.

Some grain sizes are a pain with power heads.

Some microfauna the sand attracts is less than desirable.

If I were going no sand in a new aquarium I’d want to pay more attention to ph and dkh.
Probably invest in ceramic media and out in filter basket to provide suitable surface area.
Thank you. If I end up BB I will find some spaces for the ceramic media along with the rock.

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a few bare bottom tank guys, mostly high flow sps tanks. They weren't 100% thrilled with it in the beginning fighting different nutrient spikes and algaes and ph swings. I know one guy added a bunch if those marine pure bricks to his sump which helped, another guy added a refugium separate from his tank for nutrient export, my other buddy fought through it kept on top of it and now his whole bottom glass is covered in coraline, and entrusting corals. It looks amazing.

I personally keep a sand bed about 3 inches deep, I like having wrasses and for certain types it's part of the husbandry. For me the worst part of sand is originally making the mistake of using really nice looking sugar sand. It looked amazing but the powerheads always created a sandstorm. After a year of dealing with it and constantly cleaning sand from my sump and filter socks. I started to slowly replace my sand over a few monthswith a more coarse Fiji sand. I added about 100 lbs of sand and never had any algae problems.

For me personally I like the look of the sand bottom as well bc for me it's more natural looking. It's all about what you like and what you are willing to do to maintain what you want.

Hope my input helped.
Thank you. I do have sand in my 50 gal tank. It started with crushed coral but after a few years I swapped it out for some live sand. I do enjoy watching the cleanup crews and lawn mower blennies do their thing!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back