Has anyone here kept Arabian blue crabs?

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You find loads of them here at the beaches and in the supermarkets. I was wondering if anyone had kept these before in their aquarium? I have not seen much info about this online. I was thinking of making such an aquarium of what you would find if you stuck your head under the waves here. Black sea urchins, blue crabs and a few simple fish..

6816707525_030a10dc79_b.jpg

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they get too big for our regular tanks. Plus, may be dangerous to our fish and corals. They are cool though.
Yeah I don't think they would be to friendly with corals. Personally I am not that into corals so will most likely be selling them all soon and trying something different. How do you think they would be with anemones? I have one Macrodactyla Doreensis I am quite fond of

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we have a similar crab here called a blue claw crab. I have kept them many times. (I also eat them) If you get one about an inch long, it will grow to about 4" in a year.
It will eat any fish you put in with it so forget that. Thats what they eat, and they swim.
I am not sure if they are similar, but they look almost the same.

They are interesting and you can feed them anything meaty or fishy, even earthworms. You can keep them with horseshoe crabs and Godzilla. :cool:

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we have a similar crab here called a blue claw crab. I have kept them many times. (I also eat them) If you get one about an inch long, it will grow to about 4" in a year.
It will eat any fish you put in with it so forget that. Thats what they eat, and they swim.
I am not sure if they are similar, but they look almost the same.

They are interesting and you can feed them anything meaty or fishy, even earthworms. You can keep them with horseshoe crabs and Godzilla. :cool:

Thank you! This is very helpful. I have seen the crabs swimming around quite a bit here when at the beach, and if they aren't the same species (I know they are very widely spread and considered invasive in some areas) they are very very similar.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back