Has anyone received a fish with ick from biota?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Currently, I am looking to purchase myself a Radial Filefish and a mandarin goby. I currently do not have the resources to quarantine new fish and introducing ick to my tank has been my #1 fear, the reason I quit buying fish was to protect my rare livestock. What I'm looking for is an honest gauge of "risk", I'm aware the mandarin are unlikely to bring ick with their coat but I'm not certain with the FileFish. Also, Has anyone here purchased some of the Radial filefish before? Being that they are captive are they less likely to pick at corals? I did notice a past post that may suggest a temporary holding tank where I can inspect the fish, would a temporary 5-10 gal work for a day or so?

Thanks, everyone!

muffinmanXL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t receive fish with ich ordering direct from Biota… but then again, I didn’t receive my fish at all from them =P

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, even if a place guarantees that a fish doesn’t have ich, it’s probably wise to qt regardless, which it seems like you are doing anyway. It’s a really good precautionary measure, and really just helps in the long run, because you can never be 100% sure.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have had several (3 or 4?) orders from Biota, and zero ich occurrences. All arrived healthy, I don't have a means for QT being in a smaller condo, so they went directly into my tank. Again, this is anecdotal evidence, so take that for what its worth.

Murftoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased a lot of fish from Biota and none have had ick. I don't QT or treat as I trust Biota and want to minimize the stress, so I put them right in the main tank. Of all my Biota purchases, my radial filefish is the only one that didn't survive. Those little guys seem so fragile and I don't think they ship well. Mine was listless and pale when he arrived, but perked up in a few hours. He died around day 4. Ultimately, I think my flow was too much for the little guy to handle.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Currently, I am looking to purchase myself a Radial Filefish and a mandarin goby. I currently do not have the resources to quarantine new fish and introducing ick to my tank has been my #1 fear, the reason I quit buying fish was to protect my rare livestock. What I'm looking for is an honest gauge of "risk", I'm aware the mandarin are unlikely to bring ick with their coat but I'm not certain with the FileFish. Also, Has anyone here purchased some of the Radial filefish before? Being that they are captive are they less likely to pick at corals? I did notice a past post that may suggest a temporary holding tank where I can inspect the fish, would a temporary 5-10 gal work for a day or so?

Thanks, everyone!

Had to go back and edit as I thought you already bought them. Best answer I can give you is to reduce risk and buy direct from Biota to you. This removes any middle holding systems.

If you are not able to isolate or QT and still concerned going direct then consider using a reliable and "known" QT reseller. If they don't stock it send them a message and ask if they can order, isolate, watch, and QT then send to you with their mark up.

To summary both above going direct from Biota to you (home hobbyist) is a good option and one I do. Is it best practice, probably not. But Jake and crew are really good at what they do and I've not personally experienced anything bad from that (more below).

Longer version: I've received, from Biota: Golden Lined Rabbit fish, 2 x Matted Filefish, 3 Forktail blennies, 1 Radial filefish, 1 Starry Goby, and 7 Sapphire damsels. Biota to me. No issues. No ick, no velvet, no brook, no disease of sort. Obviously I'm a huge fan of Biota but just being honest I've had no issues. My first Matted filefish was great and cleared my aiptasia problem but started to nip at a new (small) frogspawn frag. It wasn't able to handle the constant nipping so I rehomed the filefish. I've since added a 2nd one and it is fine.

Temporary holding. Biota fish will arrive small. My matted filefish arrived probably the size of a US dime. Super small. It was my first purchase from Biota and I didn't know. So when it arrived I had to put in my display (210 gallons) and the flow was too much. So over the overflow it went, into the sump, etc. I had a spare 5 gallon marineland aquarium in the garage so I did a quick 5 gallon water change, used the old water in the 5 gallon, added some substrate, 1 cup from display, threw a small light on it, 1 rock (xenia and green paly), and moved it there for 1 month. Then transferred it to the display. All was good.

If you can setup a 5 gallon you will be fine be it an aquarium or bucket. Just make sure it has the heater, airstone, or hang on back filter. So normal tank, temporary, and off you go. This will let you see what sort of food they eat, don't eat, etc. Biota also lists what their fish are eating. If not send a email via their portal and ask. Have it on hand if possible along with your normal mix.

Oh - my filefish sleep in softcorals at night. They clamp on, bite, a stalk that keeps them from moving around in the current(s). I've seen them use Green Star Polyps, Corky Sea Fingers, and also Xenia (I have little of it left since my Zosters and Pyramid butterflies eat them). No damage to clams or larger LPS colonies. Please know all fish are different and what mine does you may not see happen.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to go back and edit as I thought you already bought them. Best answer I can give you is to reduce risk and buy direct from Biota to you. This removes any middle holding systems.

If you are not able to isolate or QT and still concerned going direct then consider using a reliable and "known" QT reseller. If they don't stock it send them a message and ask if they can order, isolate, watch, and QT then send to you with their mark up.

To summary both above going direct from Biota to you (home hobbyist) is a good option and one I do. Is it best practice, probably not. But Jake and crew are really good at what they do and I've not personally experienced anything bad from that (more below).

Longer version: I've received, from Biota: Golden Lined Rabbit fish, 2 x Matted Filefish, 3 Forktail blennies, 1 Radial filefish, 1 Starry Goby, and 7 Sapphire damsels. Biota to me. No issues. No ick, no velvet, no brook, no disease of sort. Obviously I'm a huge fan of Biota but just being honest I've had no issues. My first Matted filefish was great and cleared my aiptasia problem but started to nip at a new (small) frogspawn frag. It wasn't able to handle the constant nipping so I rehomed the filefish. I've since added a 2nd one and it is fine.

Temporary holding. Biota fish will arrive small. My matted filefish arrived probably the size of a US dime. Super small. It was my first purchase from Biota and I didn't know. So when it arrived I had to put in my display (210 gallons) and the flow was too much. So over the overflow it went, into the sump, etc. I had a spare 5 gallon marineland aquarium in the garage so I did a quick 5 gallon water change, used the old water in the 5 gallon, added some substrate, 1 cup from display, threw a small light on it, 1 rock (xenia and green paly), and moved it there for 1 month. Then transferred it to the display. All was good.

If you can setup a 5 gallon you will be fine be it an aquarium or bucket. Just make sure it has the heater, airstone, or hang on back filter. So normal tank, temporary, and off you go. This will let you see what sort of food they eat, don't eat, etc. Biota also lists what their fish are eating. If not send a email via their portal and ask. Have it on hand if possible along with your normal mix.

Oh - my filefish sleep in softcorals at night. They clamp on, bite, a stalk that keeps them from moving around in the current(s). I've seen them use Green Star Polyps, Corky Sea Fingers, and also Xenia (I have little of it left since my Zosters and Pyramid butterflies eat them). No damage to clams or larger LPS colonies. Please know all fish are different and what mine does you may not see happen.
I have a radial filefish coming tomorrow and I assume it'll be tiny. How fast do they grow? It's going in a 20g with just it and a jester goby also coming in the same shipment. I may turn the powerhead down a little, but there's not a ton of flow in the tank.

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thanks, everyone!
I've ordered a yellow tang (who I lost in a power outage, sadly) and two blennies from them, all healthy, no parasites. Biota told me that their facility is "bio-secure" and that disease/parasites should not be an issue, but I chose to quarantine, regardless- my policy is that absolutely nothing goes into my tank without quarantine. Not that I don't trust them, but I once bought a pre-quarantined fish that ruined my tank with bacterial infections and parasites; it was the only fish I ever bought that I didn't QT. I was happy with the health and vitality of the Biota fish and will buy again next time something I'm looking for is available.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a radial filefish coming tomorrow and I assume it'll be tiny. How fast do they grow? It's going in a 20g with just it and a jester goby also coming in the same shipment. I may turn the powerhead down a little, but there's not a ton of flow in the tank.

The radial was probably the size of a US quarter if that. In the center of my display I have a couple corky sea fingers and it right away latched on to that. Stayed there for a bit then started to let the current take it around the display. I thought it went through the overflow but I later found it tucked into a patch of GSP I have on the back of my display. Pretty funny as it was hidden pretty well. They do a great job of camo.

Anyway they are small but grow at a pretty good clip. If you do not have any fish that are overly territorial then it should be fine. Especially with the jester. Also will give you a good opportunity to see what sort of food they prefer as to what you have on hand, etc.

My last order from them was the 3 fish combo of forktail, radial, and starry goby. All three similar sized, small and all doing well.

Edit: you asked how fast. Difficult so I apologize. The first matted I received was super tiny and I had it in the 5 gallon for about a month then moved it. It will vary but they do seem to grow pretty fast at least those that I have owned. Even the forktail I received that was really thing is doing very well.

I thought I had a picture of the first matted filefish for reference but I can't find it. Will look.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheTruTaric

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wow, I really appreciate you taking the time to write all this, and thanks to everyone else. This is about everything and all the information I was looking for. I think ill set up a 10-15 gallon for the file fish, let it get strong and healthy, per your rec ill buy the foods biota uses. If my mandarin goby wont eat in the QT ill move them to the display where they can get copepods.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Biota radial filefish eats ANYTHING but has not grown much, maybe it is a genetic dwarf? Very cute though.

My Biota mandarin only eats pellets, loves the TDO chroma boost, NLS Spectrum small pellets, and BRS Reef Chili. When I do my morning feeding, I turn the pumps to feed mode and squirt pellets behind the rock work for him to feast on so they don't blow away. On weekends when I feed later, he sits in the corner of the tank waiting. I think he eats a few pods as well, but that is certainly not what sustains him. He was tiny on arrival but healthy and has at least doubled in size-I kept him in a small quarantine/nursery tank for a few months, but I am not sure that was really necessary.

OP
OP
TheTruTaric

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Biota radial filefish eats ANYTHING but has not grown much, maybe it is a genetic dwarf? Very cute though.

My Biota mandarin only eats pellets, loves the TDO chroma boost, NLS Spectrum small pellets, and BRS Reef Chili. When I do my morning feeding, I turn the pumps to feed mode and squirt pellets behind the rock work for him to feast on so they don't blow away. On weekends when I feed later, he sits in the corner of the tank waiting. I think he eats a few pods as well, but that is certainly not what sustains him. He was tiny on arrival but healthy and has at least doubled in size-I kept him in a small quarantine/nursery tank for a few months, but I am not sure that was really necessary.
ahhh thank youm i hope mine will eat frozen, bit ill purchase some pellets just in case. So far it seems Biota is very safe but like you did ill put them in observation. Im just worried about my clowns picking on him :(

zafink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to be extra safe but not have to quarantine yourself, check out https://drreefsquarantinedfish.com
They'll get your biota fish and quarantine it appropriately. Many people here on reef2reef order from him.

I think it costs an extra $50 or so but I haven't had a problem with them. ( They just won't quarantine the mandarins)

Just be prepared to not receive your fish for up to 3 months. Sometimes they have them already quarantined, but if its on request it'll take longer.

OP
OP
TheTruTaric

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to be extra safe but not have to quarantine yourself, check out https://drreefsquarantinedfish.com
They'll get your biota fish and quarantine it appropriately. Many people here on reef2reef order from him.

I think it costs an extra $50 or so but I haven't had a problem with them. ( They just won't quarantine the mandarins)

Just be prepared to not receive your fish for up to 3 months. Sometimes they have them already quarantined, but if its on request it'll take longer.
oh intresting, So if i wanted a fish from biota he orders it to himself for wholesale and Qt's it for me? Thanks this is great

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Biota filefish (bought a couple of weeks ago) arrived healthy, but was shy at first and not eating (no quarantine, directly in 65g DT). After a couple of days it started eating small pellets (Hikari), other ones I believed were too big for its mouth. Interestingly it did not eat the Reef Frenzy or other frozen options. After 2 weeks or so it started eating anything it could fit in its mouth and even went after larger pellets, apparently trying to scrape off smaller pieces. It does also eat corals though, in particular Xenia and also nips at my toadstool mushroom.

OP
OP
TheTruTaric

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Biota filefish (bought a couple of weeks ago) arrived healthy, but was shy at first and not eating (no quarantine, directly in 65g DT). After a couple of days it started eating small pellets (Hikari), other ones I believed were too big for its mouth. Interestingly it did not eat the Reef Frenzy or other frozen options. After 2 weeks or so it started eating anything it could fit in its mouth and even went after larger pellets, apparently trying to scrape off smaller pieces. It does also eat corals though, in particular Xenia and also nips at my toadstool mushroom.
Thank you, about how large was he? i do have a lot of xenia and a very large toadstool colony... uh oh

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is about an inch. I moved it to another tank where it went to town on the Green Star Polyps. Based on this one specimen it is defintely not safe for soft corals.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back