Has anyone seen any large all in ones?!

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to create an all in one aquarium, probably out of a 180, 210, 220, 240, or something of the likes (cheaper to start with one of these from CL or something and add a false wall to divide the tank and sump vs building a custom tank all together), and I was curious if anyone has seen or heard of anyone else doing this, or know of a manufacturer that makes them this size, or any 6-8 feet long??? Thanks in advance to any insight!!

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen any as big as your thinking. I am also pondering the same idea. So I'll give this a bump. The biggest I've seen is the IM sr-120.

OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, haha, I mean its easy to do the whole peninsula thing and have the built in sump on one end, but imo a coast to coast built in sump would look soooo clean. I'm thinking a coast to coast 5 or 6 inch sump built into the back across the length with a false wall would be perfect... just a matter of getting a sheet of glass or acrylic, depending on the tank material, that is that size without spending a fair bit. at 5" at least you can still get a Tunze 9012 or 9016, depending on the tank size, in the back. Thats the main thing to me i guess, you can fit pretty much anything easily in the back except a skimmer, and those skimmer works well here with that small of space.

Last edited:

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up the 16ft build I believe it's on here. I'll look for the link. I believe that tank is an aio

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a doubt it could be done. Coast to coast would be super clean. If I remeber correctly, I ran across a thread where a guy did a diy acrylic 16' tank and it was kind of AIO based. I'll see if I can find the thread, pretty sure there was a YouTube video too.

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title of the thread is 16 foot 350 gallon reef build

OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have this issue I keep thinking about though, like, what do you do with 72" of sump that is 5-6" wide? Is it even worth going coast to coast except for aesthetic? Maybe doing half the length and centering it would be best for a balance of practicality and aesthetic? What do you guys think?

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have this issue I keep thinking about though, like, what do you do with 72" of sump that is 5-6" wide? Is it even worth going coast to coast except for aesthetic? Maybe doing half the length and centering it would be best for a balance of practicality and aesthetic? What do you guys think?
I probably wouldn't do the whole thing or you could do the rest of the unwanted space as a refugium or ATS. Also, how are you gonna get an adequate skimmer in there? An external one? I would lean towards a refugium and ATS with whatever skimmer you can fit in there.

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A ext/recirculating skimmer would probably be the best bet, I think. Or move the AIO section to the side, peninsula style to make enough room for an in sump skimmer. Idk how big of ATS you would need to filter a 180g efficiently, without a skimmer.

OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't do the whole thing or you could do the rest of the unwanted space as a refugium or ATS. Also, how are you gonna get an adequate skimmer in there? An external one? I would lean towards a refugium and ATS with whatever skimmer you can fit in there.

A Tunze 9016 would fit perfectly, seems like a great skimmer option for this application, and yeah, could use extra space for a scrubber and refugium if went the whole distance. I really dont like the look of peninsula style all in ones personally, they seem off balanced to my eye when i see part of the tank and stand that isnt part of the display, off to the side. idk haha. At this point im really just debating the whole distance vs half distance and centered thing.

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Tunze 9016 would fit perfectly, seems like a great skimmer option for this application, and yeah, could use extra space for a scrubber and refugium if went the whole distance. I really dont like the look of peninsula style all in ones personally, they seem off balanced to my eye when i see part of the tank and stand that isnt part of the display, off to the side. idk haha. At this point im really just debating the whole distance vs half distance and centered thing.
I didn't even look at a tunze skimmer. I would still pair it with an ATS. If I did a peninsula style AIO I would have to set the tank up as a room divider.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back