Has anyone seen the Netflix film Chasing Coral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imho i would think the cause would be more inline with say Fukashima dumping in the oceans and the oil spills and then dumping 10's of thousands of gallons of oil dispersants in the oceans. Global warming is a hoax,,,in the 70s it was a coming ice age,,now its global warming and the carbon offset TAX that will magically fix things. Again my opinion.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 1970s many articles about over population. Today we have declining populations.

In the 1980s many articles about not having enough food to feed the world. Today rarely hear about world hunger.

In the 1990s many articles about running out of oil. Today theres fracking and many natural alternative energies.

I just don’t know what to believe anymore!

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I made it about 1/2 through before I couldn't take their propaganda any more. I am so sick of hearing people lie about "global warming" "climate change" whatever their word of the day is."

And that, my friends, is the problem.

If people refuse to believe that we are destroying our planet, then we are doomed for sure. Generations from now, mother nature will slap us with a can of whoop-butt and we will not like it.
The planet was here long before Walmarts and Doritos and it will be here long after. All industrial civilization is doing is making stuff rough on ourselves. Mother nature could care less.

I find it baffling that coral reefs can be fragged and moved a few miles away and rapidly grow, but the original dying reef is supposedly in water that's becoming inhospitable for coral health. What?

Need to focus on over fishing and sustainability. The reefs will be there long after were gone.

View Badges
In the 1970s many articles about over population. Today we have declining populations.

In the 1980s many articles about not having enough food to feed the world. Today rarely hear about world hunger.

In the 1990s many articles about running out of oil. Today theres fracking and many natural alternative energies.

Yeah... that’s what happens when you replace science with statistics and computer “models” (simulation).

and now we’re in professor Ted’s world. Over socialized and under informed. More concerned with feelings than findings.

diverrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Global human population growth amounts to around 83 million annually, or 1.1% per year. The global population has grown from 1 billion in 1800 to 7.9 billion in 2020.
Globally, about 8.9% of the world's population — 690 million people — go to bed on an empty stomach each night.

just because you did nor hear about it or believe does not mean it’s not true. try to understand that your feelings don’t matter facts and evidence do. The real problem with the world is that stupid people have opinions.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To anyone that denies reefs are dying due to warming of waters on the reefs. Do a simple experiment to prove it’s a lie and show us all that we are wrong! Turn up your heater to the high 80’s or 90 for a few months and let’s see what happens.

Put your money(reef) where your mouth is!

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The planet was here long before Walmarts and Doritos and it will be here long after. All industrial civilization is doing is making stuff rough on ourselves. Mother nature could care less.

I find it baffling that coral reefs can be fragged and moved a few miles away and rapidly grow, but the original dying reef is supposedly in water that's becoming inhospitable for coral health. What?

Need to focus on over fishing and sustainability. The reefs will be there long after were gone.
The really interesting part is that they are blaming it on temps that are rising by nearly immeasurable amounts and then contrasted against good guesses as to what the temps were in the past.
There is no dang way that a 1/10 of a degree ocean temp increase over 100, 50, or even 10 years is killing coral.

Question everything. Especially en Vogue scientific claims made or endorsed by any government.

Coralcitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do respect everyone’s opinion. Global Warming is not a sham. If you believe this is because you can easily be controlled by social media, government propaganda and fake news.
To gather an opinion you are to travel or witness the issue firsthand to create an opinion.
Has anyone traveled to a Glacier in Alaska? Do you have a fruit tree in your backyard? Have you been in a former coral reef? Do you feel like a previous summer was cooler than the current one? Don’t you notice more massive hurricanes and tornadoes.

start gathering information, real info and you will see the planet is changing.

all the pollution gets into the ocean even garbage see 3 world countries. That doesn’t even show on TV or can be documented. We are reefers and we know what happens when ammonia gets high... It kills all.

It is not a hoax , you need to travel and inform yourself better. That is what big pollutant companies and government want you to think.
The same ignorance saying COVID is a hoax when my cousin 42 with no previous medical condition is in a ventilator with Covid. I just challenge anyone to tell me that is also a hoax for that person to take a visit to his hospital.

knowledge is power and by feeding lies , we can be easily manipulated. In summary, you can keep increasing your carbón footprint lifestyle by purchasing their products that cause pollution bcs “all is a hoax”. Unfortunately, all is about money and big corporations lobby Goverment officials to keep their harmful practices and have a profitable balance sheet.

D15E4370-56AF-4964-8D09-8FFCED89AF4E.jpeg

Last edited:

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Global human population growth amounts to around 83 million annually, or 1.1% per year. The global population has grown from 1 billion in 1800 to 7.9 billion in 2020.
Globally, about 8.9% of the world's population — 690 million people — go to bed on an empty stomach each night.

just because you did nor hear about it or believe does not mean it’s not true. try to understand that your feelings don’t matter facts and evidence do. The real problem with the world is that stupid people have opinions.
Understood about people going to bed hungry. My point was that I’m not reading about in the newspapers anymore.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do this and tell me if the world is over populated.

1. Look up the population density of New York city.

2. Calculate the population density of Texas if we put EVERY living human in Texas.

3. Realize that over population is a lie.

if the whole of humanity can be put into Texas with a population density of less then NYC I suspect that leaves plenty of land for the world to produce food on. What they do with that land is up to them. Food shortages aren’t because of populations they are because of poverty.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people toss out insults in civil discussions? Typically it’s because they cannot contribute to the discussion. What’s your take?
Y’all are the ones stating that the innocent oil companies are being blamed by the evil green empire that consists of who exactly??

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow listening to some of the people in here. it’s way to early for this lol. You can tell some of the people here have never gone diving all you have to do is look with your own two eyes and you would be able to tell there is an issue. Especially with fish populations

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As
Y’all are the ones stating that the innocent oil companies are being blamed by the evil green empire that consists of who exactly??
You are a brilliant tactician of debate! Do hyperbolic straw man arguments work where you are from? By work, I mean help you start fights on the internet with complete strangers because they simply do not share your perspective?

Ad hominems and straw men arguments are the tools of the emotionally invested. I am done engaging with you. I wish you a wonderful day.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As

You are a brilliant tactician of debate! Do hyperbolic straw man arguments work where you are from? By work, I mean help you start fights on the internet with complete strangers because they simply do not share your perspective?

Ad hominems and straw men arguments are the tools of the emotionally invested. I am done engaging with you. I wish you a wonderful day.
Yea that’s what I thought. You got nothing.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked in oceanography for a few years, although it's not what I studied (math and computer science).

I'm on 3 forums: this one, another similar one on the other side of the pond and yet another "on the top of the pond" about arctic sea ice.

Just the same, I didn't need to have worked with oceanography or studied math to be scared when I look at charts about arctic sea ice.

I can tell you that very few people on that arctic sea ice forum will be suprised if we get the "blue ocean event" this decade.

It's now common that Siberia is warmer than the south of Europe, with temperatures above 85 within the arctic circle.

When the arctic ice gone during the summer months, the arctic will be painted black intead of white and receiving 24/7 insolation.

Weather patterns in the northern hemisphere will change and what it will do to agriculture is unpredictable,.

I fear that 2 or 3 bad agricultural years in the main bread baskets of the world will be enough to put a few hundred million people on the move.

Regarding corals, they're showing every sign that they're preparing to ride out the present mass extinction as they did the previous ones. It's a comforting thought.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't subscribe to the propoganda. Working in the IT Project Management world, I realize that many just want sound bites, they don't want the whole story. The cliff notes, not the book. Many of my 2 sentence summaries that my work has asked me to provide boil 6 months or a year's worth of work into 2 sentence sound bites.

I think of climate change the same way. A catchy two word phrase that means little without the nerdy scientific details.

Do I think our climates are changing? Of course. They always have! We had the ice age, we've had the volcanic age, we've had many changes in our climate. A two hundred or heck even a 1000 year span of tracking weather does not equate to tracking climate change.

Not when we're talking about changes over millions of years. I had seen a story on the fact that the sun may have seasons. This would impact all planets in the solar system. These seasons could last years then shift. The earth may have broader seasons than just the four annual seasons. Seasons that last tens of thousands of years. If we're at the tail end of one longer term season and shifting to a new one over the next 100 years? Then yes, we'll probably see dramatic shifts.

Do I believe climate change is caused by humanity. I believe there's some evidence to support it is. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle that maybe 15-25% of our climate change is human caused the other 75 to 85% is caused by the sun and planetary changes that have been happening for millions of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back