Status
Not open for further replies.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow listening to some of the people in here. it’s way to early for this lol. You can tell some of the people here have never gone diving all you have to do is look with your own two eyes and you would be able to tell there is an issue. Especially with fish populations
Literally nobody said there wasn’t a problem. The cause of which and the degree of which is being discussed.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked in oceanography for a few years, although it's not what I studied (math and computer science).

I'm on 3 forums: this one, another similar one on the other side of the pond and yet another "on the top of the pond" about arctic sea ice.

Just the same, I didn't need to have worked with oceanography or studied math to be scared when I look at charts about arctic sea ice.

I can tell you that very few people on that arctic sea ice forum will be suprised if we get the "blue ocean event" this decade.

It's now common that Siberia is warmer than the south of Europe, with temperatures above 85 within the arctic circle.

When the arctic ice gone during the summer months, the arctic will be painted black intead of white and receiving 24/7 insolation.

Weather patterns in the northern hemisphere will change and what it will do to agriculture is unpredictable,.

I fear that 2 or 3 bad agricultural years in the main bread baskets of the world will be enough to put a few hundred million people on the move.

Regarding corals, they're showing every sign that they're preparing to ride out the present mass extinction as they did the previous ones. It's a comforting thought.
I respect that you worked in oceanography but unfortunately I’m going to have to differ to the IT project manager for this topic.

View Badges
Wow listening to some of the people in here. it’s way to early for this lol. You can tell some of the people here have never gone diving all you have to do is look with your own two eyes and you would be able to tell there is an issue. Especially with fish populations
Agreed, but that doesn’t mean it’s because of “man made climate crisis”.

Costal cities are the greatest threat. Even just from the extra light. I grew up in Miami, many of the reefs I used to spearfish and snorkle are pretty empty.

protected reefs in the same waters (penny camp for example) are thriving.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood about people going to bed hungry. My point was that I’m not reading about in the newspapers anymore.
I don't see the overpopulation stuff much more but I see your other points frequently when I read the news. The food one is fascinating to me because we spent all of this time saying that the world was running out of food, and then invented synthetic foods to try and solve the problem. But then people revolted from that, and we dove hard into organic and non-processed, etc., and it just made the food shortage problem spring back up.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect that you worked in oceanography but unfortunately I’m going to have to differ to the IT project manager for this topic.

Debating subjects like this or the temperature at which water boils can be interesting, but lets don't and say we did.

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get it. People keep saying global warming or climate change. But my grass outside is still green and hasn't caught on fire yet. Must be a hoax. ExxonMobil wouldn't lie to us right? Oil companies just have our best interests at heart.
:D:D:D:D:D

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating subjects like this or the temperature at which water boils can be interesting, but lets don't and say we did.
I was laying the sarcasm on pretty thick but I can see how that can be confused considering the quality of the serious posts here.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I lived in Denver(altitude ~5000 ft) and said the boiling point of water was 94.5 C and I argued with someone who lived in miami(altitude ~3 ft) and said it boiled at 100 C. Who would be right? Both would be. Even with this simple science experiment there is a variable that you may not have considered. Given these complex systems it is millions of times harder to predict outcomes as there are so many more variables to consider.

I worked in the industry for 15 years, I even have my name attached to a paper or two. Might make me more informed on certain aspects, but it does not make me God. I don't have all the answers, nor am I willing to be so dismissive to ideas that may contradict what I believe is correct. That basically is the antithesis of the scientific principle. We should embrace new ideas and have the authors support it with data and then have someone attempt to reproduce it.

Sadly, the science field isn't much different than this message board. The science field is filled with people with their own agendas, producing crap so they have a job or produce a paper so they can get paid. The back biting, the politicking, the sexism, the infighting because of personal slights exists just in much in academia as it does on message boards, actually even moreso.

I feel as though the internet, more specifically search engines have failed us. We act more intelligent than we are, a world of information at our fingertips, ranked by the masses as to what they feel is the most correct. measurement bias at it's root through and through. Yet we argue for what? our own pride? To be right? To rationalize our choices? To be first? To be heard?

I watched the show, lamented the loss of those beautiful reefs. Vowed to see a few before every last one was gone. Then soon after I was utterly confused and humbled as another study questioned the rate at which the reefs would go extinct.

I chuckle to know that one day, humanity will laugh at my attempts at science. I will be as outdated as those who once "cured" people by blood letting.

Is it possible? Can we stop the name calling? Can we admit our own bias? Can we proclaim together that we are all ignorant about something? Can we have the wisdom to listen to a different viewpoint at times? Can we humble ourselves enough to know "The more you know, the more you know you don't know."?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People can argue about the cause, but not the effects. I have had the privilege of diving virtually every major warm water/tropical region around the world over the last 30 years. The mass bleaching events and death (coral and loss of associated fish) is astonishing. To deny that’s happening is to put your head in the sand.

I’ve seen it first hand.

will the Reef’s come back in some form in a million years long after humans are gone? Probably.

Sadly, the conditions are changing faster than the corals can adapt and evolve.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Climate is as an unscientific subject as they come, especially in the way science is practiced now.

If you follow a career in science, you find a very specific niche subject and dig as deep as possible.

Climate requires the opposite, connecting dots from different areas and dealing with huge amounts of data. It's a chaotic system.

The arctic itself is an unfriendly environment to perform research through traditional methods (you go there and measure). Instead, research relies too much on models.

The same problem happened when insects. Insects were disappearing under the noses of entomologists and it was a group of amateurs in Germany who was keeping records on their numbers in nature reserves in Germany and noticed that over 75% of flying insect were gone in 27 years. Everyone was so busy digging deep into their holes, and no one paid attention to the big picture. If there was a time that science dropped the ball big time, it was with insects.

Climate is mostly studied with models. These models often exclude parameters related to processes that are not fully understood.

I think it was in 2015 that the IPCC published a report with a forecast for the arctic ice in 2100? Their numbers came to happen a bit sooner... still in 2015.

This is the institution that suplies the information by which the governments of the whole world base their policies.

Was is 2019 that again the IPCC said that we should have 1 year without arctic sea ice during the summer per decade by 2100.

How is that even remotely coherent with the satellite data since 1979?

unnamed (1).png

I'm no expert in this but when I try to look at the whole picture, I can't help be be worried that something is brewing and looking at that chart makes it look like it's coming sooner rather than later.

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many People have seen chasing coral I thought it was very depressing that the reefs could disappear in only a few years

Science is clear that the earth is warming at an alarming rate and the oceans are absorbing a majority of that heat—causing mass bleaching events in the reefs.

That, coupled with micro plastics, macro plastics, overfishing, dumping chemicals, and non-reef safe sunscreen, oils, etc, bodes poorly for the ocean.

I went diving in the Caribbean and watched a local pour dish soap overboard directly into the reef.

You will find a lot of conservatives in here that deny climate change and think science is a satanic conspiracy to stop them from owning guns, so your miles will vary in a forum like this when discussing the effects of a warming and polluted planet.

*conservative is used to refer to the death cult in the US unwilling to use their senses to observe the planet; not legitimate and prudent political positions around the globe

Last edited:

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Science is clear that the earth is warming at an alarming rate and the oceans are absorbing a majority of that heat—causing mass bleaching events in the reefs.

That, coupled with micro plastics, macro plastics, overfishing, dumping chemicals, and non-reef safe sunscreen, oils, etc, bodes poorly for the ocean.

I went diving in the Caribbean and watched a local pour dish soap overboard directly into the reef.

You will find a lot of conservatives in here that deny climate change and think science is a satanic conspiracy to stop them from owning guns, so your miles will vary in a forum like this when discussing the effects of a warming and polluted planet.

*conservative is used to refer to the death cult in the US unwilling to use their senses to observe the planet; not legitimate and prudent political positions around the globe
Your talking points were much stronger before you resorted to ad hominem attacks. You lose credit for cogent thoughts when you use those and strawmen arguments.

View Badges
If I lived in Denver(altitude ~5000 ft) and said the boiling point of water was 94.5 C and I argued with someone who lived in miami(altitude ~3 ft) and said it boiled at 100 C. Who would be right? Both would be. Even with this simple science experiment there is a variable that you may not have considered. Given these complex systems it is millions of times harder to predict outcomes as there are so many more variables to consider.

I worked in the industry for 15 years, I even have my name attached to a paper or two. Might make me more informed on certain aspects, but it does not make me God. I don't have all the answers, nor am I willing to be so dismissive to ideas that may contradict what I believe is correct. That basically is the antithesis of the scientific principle. We should embrace new ideas and have the authors support it with data and then have someone attempt to reproduce it.

Sadly, the science field isn't much different than this message board. The science field is filled with people with their own agendas, producing crap so they have a job or produce a paper so they can get paid. The back biting, the politicking, the sexism, the infighting because of personal slights exists just in much in academia as it does on message boards, actually even moreso.

I feel as though the internet, more specifically search engines have failed us. We act more intelligent than we are, a world of information at our fingertips, ranked by the masses as to what they feel is the most correct. measurement bias at it's root through and through. Yet we argue for what? our own pride? To be right? To rationalize our choices? To be first? To be heard?

I watched the show, lamented the loss of those beautiful reefs. Vowed to see a few before every last one was gone. Then soon after I was utterly confused and humbled as another study questioned the rate at which the reefs would go extinct.

I chuckle to know that one day, humanity will laugh at my attempts at science. I will be as outdated as those who once "cured" people by blood letting.

Is it possible? Can we stop the name calling? Can we admit our own bias? Can we proclaim together that we are all ignorant about something? Can we have the wisdom to listen to a different viewpoint at times? Can we humble ourselves enough to know "The more you know, the more you know you don't know."?
I love knowing there are actually reasonable people out there.

View Badges
Hate it when these rich scientists gang up on the poor penniless oil companies. Reminds me of when they ganged up on the poor tobacco companies.
This is getting repetitive but, those oil companies are called “energy companies”. They’re the ones that lobby the government, and they pay for the studies.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry if my post came off as humor or satire. My point was quite simply, I don't believe humans are the only blame. The earth will do what it does.... The only certainty in nature is change. We can't see the change only the effects of the change because our existence is a microcosm of the earth's experience. Do our factories and cars affect the earth, sure. Carbon is proven to negatively affect atmospheres of carbon based life forms. That's a fact... Does the earth have sufficient export mechanisms or can it adapt sufficient export mechanisms to remove the carbon humans generate?

I don't know the answer to that. There could be processes, bacteria, new algaes, etc brewing in the oceans just to deal with our mistakes. We want to control it and if we have the power and funds to mitigate some of the damages humans do, great. In the end, the earth and nature will change, and some of these changes may generate environments that humans, or other animals don't like. How many species of animals have gone extinct over the last billion years? We've cataloged many and many of them prior to humans being a thing. . .

If we want to be all beat up on the human race for how horrible it is then, do so. I'm sure some of the blame is ours. What I disagree is that all damages to reefs on earth is humanity's fault?

We know things are changing... Why, depends on who's generating the data... What's the saying, "The victor defines history." The company or group with the most power, money, resources, etc, might define who's to blame for political purposes. There's no money or power to be gained in blaming the sun, or blaming the planet for shifting and changing...

The continents having been moving and haven't stopped moving as far as I know. It could simply changes in land masses over thousands of years that is resulting in more temperate oceans killing off reefs. Maybe new reefs are forming as we speak in places we haven't thought to look.

Maybe Antartica will someday be a tropical paradise. What does that mean for the oceans life around it? I don't think the earth asks us if we like the changes it's making..... It'd be nice if it did...

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, this planet has been around for billions of years. The climate has been doing it's own thing the whole time. Once humans started polluting, they started disrupting the climate, but are humans worse than the volcanoes that spewed for years in the Russian arctic area millions of years ago??

I don't know, but I do know that the climate will keep doing it's thing until the planet is consumed by the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back