Has anyone seen the Netflix film Chasing Coral

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just popping to give everyone a hug!!!!!

Teddy Bear Hug GIF

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. I mean where is the Netflix about the Texas sized floating plastic island of hell in the ocean and how that must significantly impact the ocean life? I am ALL about environmentalism, but I do not embrace it as a religion and I am greatly saddened that these propaganda shows blot out the issues that are seriously impacting ocean life.
Its called ‘A Plastic Ocean’, and there are a few others about the Pacific plastic patch on Netflix.

This documentary obviously takes a side, but it’s not propaganda. While the pet trade isn’t the biggest contributor to the ecological collapse of reefs, it is without a doubt a factor. I don’t have a lot of patience for ‘whataboutism’ and acting like when there is more than one factor that contributes to a problem that we can and should only focus on the biggest one. We can’t pretend that our hobby doesn’t have an ecological impact on reefs, it objectively does, the existence of other contributors to the problem doesn’t mean we can’t or shouldn’t try to lessen the impact our hobby has. So, personally, I don’t have an issue with the documentary. I don’t agree with every point that was made, but overall I think it’s good draw attention to the issue.

Also, it’s really disheartening to see climate change deniers in the hobby (and just in general). Its just perplexing.

Last edited:

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's that? I wasn't declaring anything, simply made a statement about a article I read.

But comments like this are why I rarely talk.
Opinions are important and you should not stop having yours and talking about it.

However, people misunderstand facts and feelings.
I believe the advent of social media as allowed people to share a lot of opinions as being actual facts, when they are not. And if you read a "fact" that is actually just an opinion you can easily get confused about it.

A simple example:
Someone said before in this thread that overpopulation is no longer a problem because the population is declining. Most likely they saw that the population in western countries have been declining, so they jump to the conclusion that the world population was declining, therefore its no longer a problem. However, the reality is that the world populations is still increasing at a rate of a 2.5 persons every second. So over the last hour I have spent placing this answers 9000 more people have been borne then those that have died.
See, one was an opinion, the other a fact ;)

This is the reason why in most reputable news organizations opinion pieces are clearly ladled as such.

Last edited:

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating subjects like this or the temperature at which water boils can be interesting, but lets don't and say we did.
I got an idea. Let's just wait for the water near reefs to boil, than we can say whether or not the planet is getting out of control weather/heatwise.

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
???
Who is saving Coral Reefs/ the planet at the cost of Human lives? It's a interesting topic to bring up though. As with most things there's generally 2 paths, the short term path of greater immediate profit and long term path of sustainability.
Not saying that people are actually killing people to save the planet however it could be an issue in the near future when we are faced with population "curves"

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s about the oil companies I think it’s because the media and government have been pushing environmental doom since the 70’s. They have gone so far as to pure dates and timelines on the end of the planet. None of it ever comes to fruition, ever. Meanwhile the people pushing it are getting rich by doing it. If science says global warming is a sham, those research dollars go away.
This isn’t to say there isn’t something of concern here. It is to say that it has been monetized and propagandize to the point of saturation and disbelief for many.
This is insane. No one is getting rich researching climate change. The side that benefits monetarily is the denial side. Corporations and governments have a vested interest in fossil fuels and maintaining the status quo in terms of our energy production and distribution. This idea that all of science is just making up climate change to keep these supposed research riches rolling in is, and I’m sorry to say this, I don’t mean to disrespect you, laughable. You are repeating incredibly flimsy talking points manufactured by big oil to sow doubt and division and to stall action on climate change for as long as possible.

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is insane. No one is getting rich researching climate change. The side that benefits monetarily is the denial side. Corporations and governments have a vested interest in fossil fuels and maintaining the status quo in terms of our energy production and distribution. This idea that all of science is just making up climate change to keep these supposed research riches rolling in is, and I’m sorry to say this, I don’t mean to disrespect you, laughable. You are repeating incredibly flimsy talking points manufactured by big oil to sow doubt and division and to stall action on climate change for as long as possible.
Hi have to agree with this and further point out that if getting rich was your goal, you where better off changing job. Or join one of the energy companies as their PR/climate expert

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disappointed how many people denied the climate change here. There will be time to come it will be crime just like holocaust denial.
There will be time people look back and say those people were out of their mind not realising what is in front of their eyes.

did humans cause it? Undoubtedly

we need to do what we can our little ways to turn it around. Scrap your non electric cars, refuse plastic packages, use low energy devices, stop using chemicals harming the environment.
Oh and stop denial of facts leave it to politicians like Tramp and alike.

In the 1970s many articles about over population. Today we have declining populations.

In the 1980s many articles about not having enough food to feed the world. Today rarely hear about world hunger.

In the 1990s many articles about running out of oil. Today theres fracking and many natural alternative energies.

I just don’t know what to believe anymore!
You don’t seems to be very informed and it looks bad on you. Time to do some research I am afraid. Start to believe your own eyes. The evidence is everywhere in front of your eyes
But are we?? How do you know for sure.

I read a article a few months ago by a climatologist who stated that we're still in a ice age because the polar caps are still covered in ice.
This planet has been through a lot of cycles and we are but a small part of it. A destructive part of it.

Earth has been a water planet, a snowball planet and a very hot planet in the history of the planet.
We're not innocent but I don't think we are the sole cause.
I do believe we are more of a cause than we admit.
I couldn't agree more. Things will probably look different in the years to come but that doesn't mean that all coral reefs will become extinct. As others stated, I am totally for environmentalism and creating a cleaner and more beautiful world but when it becomes a matter of religion to "saving the planet" you must draw the line there. Saving the planet or coral reefs or whatever at the cost of human life is absolutely wrong and criminal.
Already said by somebody but I feel the need to repeat it. No human life is in danger by saving the planet from pollution. You better start to do your part too if not already started to do it. We will be the next T-Rex soon if we don’t change our ways.

Is it possible (and I say this entirely willing to be corrected) that the earth's global average temperature can go through phases? Some scientists believe that during the Middle Ages the earth was much warmer than it is today. Maybe it isn't global warming but just temperature fluctuation. Much akin to El Nino and La Nina
Disposing, misleading just wrong.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure in all this seriousness, everyone needs a good laugh.

I am not picking a side or voicing my opinion, but figure this may give a few of you some giggles.

AB327F7D-F65F-406C-8A94-C689F1030521.jpeg
And so both sides get a laugh. Cause laughing is good.

4952A92D-76BD-4AFF-8491-BD4DDD2CA99E.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had multiple ice ages. That means inbetween there was significant amount of warming.
That wasn't man made or was it?
Is the earth warming maybe is it cooling maybe. Are we in one cycle and not another possible. Just wait and the cycle will change.

Are we harming thr reef yep not from warming but pollution. Fertilizers raw sewage and other water pollutants. That is what we need to control not warming and cooling.

Stop fertilizers from being used on yards.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disappointed how many people denied the climate change here. There will be time to come it will be crime just like holocaust denial.
There will be time people look back and say those people were out of their mind not
Global warming and global cooling is real. Just talk to the people who lived during the ice ages.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread has degraded beyond salvaging. I'm sorry but we have to close this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back