has anyone seen this happen

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I have a Kole tang. new to the tank, about 1 week. After 5 days it started to look like he had ich. I ordered some meds online. Be here tomorrow. So I come home from work and the fish looks completely healthy. No spots, swimming around. Looks happy and hungry. I always heard that ich is a difficult thing to deal with. Has anyone seen this happen?

Jerry

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can naturally fight off some of it when it has good immune system. Or it could be the fact that the ich is in its normal cycle of reproduction. If it's was indeed ich and you have not treated it, it's still in the tank and all fish are still exposed to it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I have a Kole tang. new to the tank, about 1 week. After 5 days it started to look like he had ich. I ordered some meds online. Be here tomorrow. So I come home from work and the fish looks completely healthy. No spots, swimming around. Looks happy and hungry. I always heard that ich is a difficult thing to deal with. Has anyone seen this happen?

Jerry

How long had the spots been on the fish before disappearing?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the spots raised and looking like grains of salt? My Scopas tang gets white spots when I stare at him too closely, but they quickly disappear when he calms down. Apparently, this is normal for them. If the spots are raised, however, ich is the most likely candidate. Velvet looks like a goldish, dusty layer on the fish.

OP
OP
Ubergroover

Ubergroover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
white raised dots. Very distinct and round. When I got home from work, my first impression was " I wonder if Tangs do this?" however I dont know. Yes I ordered copper. I still plan on treating, but it confused me. I will post a pic when he comes out.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
white raised dots. Very distinct and round. When I got home from work, my first impression was " I wonder if Tangs do this?" however I dont know. Yes I ordered copper. I still plan on treating, but it confused me. I will post a pic when he comes out.
I'm curious....what else is in the tank? Do you plan on removing the tang for copper treatment?

OP
OP
Ubergroover

Ubergroover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many dots (roughly)? It could have also been sand stuck to his mucous coat.
looked like when you walk in the water at the beach then walk back to your towel. a lot of specs. They were on his pec fins also... not now.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have rock in the tank it will absorb the copper. This might make it difficult to add inverts in the future
Exactly. You will want to remove the fish for treatment. Alternatively, since you only have the rock and sand, hyposalinity would work very well for you and not cause any long term effects on inverts.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ubergroover

Ubergroover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:
I decided to wait on the meds. Its been a week now and every fish in the tank is healthy. The kole tang is happily eating seaweed and has zero spots. No fish is had or developing spots. Maybe I jumped the gun and it was only sand stuck to him. IDK. However I would like to thank all the replies. Thank you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back