Has anyone successfully made cubes of homemade frozen food?

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Asian market is about an hours drive for me to Indianapolis - but it is worth it. If it swam in the ocean at one time - I swaer they have it frozen in that store! I like to grab odd things I would personally never eat and mix up what they eat! I love seafood - but there are some things there that I have never heard of. One trip I usullay spend around $30-35 and that gets me about 6 trays of food which equates to about 4-5 months of feeding.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure which trays you bought but I use the ones below. They are about the same size as the cubes sold in stores maybe even a hair bigger. Each cube measures 0.78 inch square (from the amazon page) Not sure why people act like its a chore. I can make enough food in 30 minutes to last several months feeding 3 tanks

ice cube trays.jpg
Thanks! Those do look good. Ordered.

Here’s the link if anyone else wants these:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm starting to make my own frozen food and would love to make cubes of it. Anybody doing this? More convenient for me, and easier to give feeding instructions to fish sitters. I ordered some of the mini silicone ice cube trays from Amazon, but they are TINY! I'm looking for something closer to the size of cube foods you buy. You'd think they'd be available, but I can't find them.

The closest I could find were these. That is an assortment of three different size cube trays. The largest size is perfect, but I'd like a bunch of them and don't want to order 10 of these and have to discard the two smaller sized trays.
I use these from Target store and 7.98 each
the cubes are small but plenty

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to make my own frozen food and would love to make cubes of it. Anybody doing this? More convenient for me, and easier to give feeding instructions to fish sitters. I ordered some of the mini silicone ice cube trays from Amazon, but they are TINY! I'm looking for something closer to the size of cube foods you buy. You'd think they'd be available, but I can't find them.

The closest I could find were these. That is an assortment of three different size cube trays. The largest size is perfect, but I'd like a bunch of them and don't want to order 10 of these and have to discard the two smaller sized trays.
Once frozen throw them in a zip lock bag, ready to use again.
I use this, fit it at one of my club meetings. Don't know where they got it. It's the Exact size as the cubes you buy.

16795653630497461839140832588986.jpg

Lucky_805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have made my own fish food since I started i love the process lol i just made a batch 2 days ago (shrimp, squid, salmon, tuna, nori, selcon, phytoplankton, zooplankton, reef roids i put it in old containers when i would get batches of brine shrimp from petco I have been reusing it once the cubes are frozen i put them in a zip lock bag and put more in the container. It does take a lot of time tho

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Those do look good. Ordered.

Here’s the link if anyone else wants these:

I made 4 pounds of food yesterday, 50/50 mix of salmon and shrimp. The cube trays in the link above are excellent, the cubes pop right out. Unfortunately, I used a blender. As JDCagley said, the blender makes mush. Reasonably decent size particles of shrimp survived the blender, but the salmon was liquified. I do have a food mill, I wish I'd used that.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I used a food grinder
By food grinder, do you mean a meat grinder like what you would make hamburger by running beef through it, or a food processor?
Do you process frozen or thawed? And does it get the food to like brine shrimp sized pieces. I have a lot of little mouths to feed.
Thanks.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
By food grinder, do you mean a meat grinder like what you would make hamburger by running beef through it, or a food processor?
Do you process frozen or thawed? And does it get the food to like brine shrimp sized pieces. I have a lot of little mouths to feed.
Thanks.
I used all frsh seafood and the one i want- yes like meat grinder. Im offered a $300 one for $80. I think, ill snap it up

Lucky_805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made 4 pounds of food yesterday, 50/50 mix of salmon and shrimp. The cube trays in the link above are excellent, the cubes pop right out. Unfortunately, I used a blender. As JDCagley said, the blender makes mush. Reasonably decent size particles of shrimp survived the blender, but the salmon was liquified. I do have a food mill, I wish I'd used that.
i went to the thrift store and bought a food processor for 6$. I will only be using it for fish food

Back