Has anyone that pre-ordered seen their ION Director yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it, now, you'd rather tinker with the ion director equipment than conduct repetitive miniatous tests... There may or may not be a time time savings either way, but you want to do something other than manually test and playing with the ion director is a more enjoyable part of the hobby; whereas, testing manually parameters feels more like a chore..

About accurate?

totally agree that tanks can't run themselves and never will.

Edit: I may be waiting for a unicorn, lol.. i think i remember jake adams basically saying he won't buy devices like this because the technology is just not there yet.... investing in these contraptions is first generation tech and in not long there could be like a true alk probe or nitrate probe or whatever, making everyone ditch this first generation tech anyway..
And you may be right...... Time will tell. If I have to tinker with it too much it'll go up for sale and I'll go back to manual testing. I also didn't think there would have to be so much tinkering involved. I was hoping it would be a more set and forget thing. I do think the potassium test will be worth it.

Yeah all these things are coming. It's just a question of time and money

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think the potassium test will be worth it.
I've never tested potassium... Have you ever had a potassium issue?
I saw melev's reef had bad salt, no potassium, and that crashed his tank, but i don't think testing the tank would help that; only testing new salt water (manually).

Edit: my premise is that since i have never had a potassium issue (ICP's have always been fine), i am unsure why testing it in the tank is a thing?? It seems like a parameter that is necessary but not consumed rapidly?

Do you not do water changes and it gets depleted more than one/two/three part/calcium reactors replace?

Do you test of it now? In the past? What have you noticed about it in your tank? Is it used up over a week, a day, a month and changes values? Why do you want to test it frequently if at all in the tank?

Last edited:

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never tested potassium... Have you ever had a potassium issue?
I saw melev's reef had bad salt, no potassium, and that crashed his tank, but i don't think testing the tank would help that; only testing new salt water (manually).

Edit: my premise is that since i have never had a potassium issue (ICP's have always been fine), i am unsure why testing it in the tank is a thing?? It seems like a parameter that is necessary but not consumed rapidly?

Do you not do water changes and it gets depleted more than one/two/three part/calcium reactors replace?

Do you test of it now? In the past? What have you noticed about it in your tank? Is it used up over a week, a day, a month and changes values? Why do you want to test it frequently if at all in the tank?
A little background.....
I was having some issues about a year and a half ago. No growth, color etc.
I ran across the moonshiners program and decided to go with it. Best thing I ever did.
I do an ICP test monthly with that. My tank uses a lot of trace elements, potassium one of them.
Potassium is one of those elements that when it's depleted you will find out the hard way.
I can tell by looking at my tank when it's depleted. Everything looks kinda lethargic and loses some color.
In do bi weekly water changes. I don't use two part, three part etc. I run a calcium reactor.
I only test by ICP. Some months it won't use any, some months it uses it. In my opinion potassium should be checked often. It's just as bad when you have too much also.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mywifeisgunnakillme why are you here questioning other peoples' intent on purchasing a product? This thread was created to track and share info across those who have pre-ordered the ion director.

This arguement around whether this product is "worth it" is not very relevant to this thread.

Folks were recently looking to calculate ongoing cost of using the product and there is absolutely no need to start questioning the relevance of other hoobyists' decision to purchase the product itself.

If you want to help others make good purchasing decisions please look out for threads like "help, should I buy [insert product name]?". Otherwise please keep this thread on topic.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mywifeisgunnakillme why are you here questioning other peoples' intent on purchasing a product? This thread was created to track and share info across those who have pre-ordered the ion director.

This arguement around whether this product is "worth it" is not very relevant to this thread.

Folks were recently looking to calculate ongoing cost of using the product and there is absolutely no need to start questioning the relevance of other hoobyists' decision to purchase the product itself.

If you want to help others make good purchasing decisions please look out for threads like "help, should I buy [insert product name]?". Otherwise please keep this thread on topic.
Most people that purchased already did. This thread is about if anyone that ordered an IOND has received one. Read the thread title.....why are you on here calling him out because it doesn't agree with your thoughts??? I'm done here. This thread is going bad quickly.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people that purchased already did. This thread is about if anyone that ordered an IOND has received one. Read the thread title.....why are you on here calling him out because it doesn't agree with your thoughts??? I'm done here. This thread is going bad quickly.

I'd like to think you and I are on the same page? I come here for any update on recieving the product once in a while and wanted to call this out not because I have an opinion on the matter of "worth" but just in hopes to keep things on topic. ‍

*shrug*

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to think you and I are on the same page? I come here for any update on recieving the product once in a while and wanted to call this out not because I have an opinion on the matter of "worth" but just in hopes to keep things on topic. ‍

*shrug*
Then keep it on topic. It's about if anyone received their IOND. Not whether one should buy one or not. Don't get me wrong I don't care if it goes that way or not. In hate the attacking stuff on here. It reminds me of Facebook. This site is supposed to be about the betterment of the hobby. Not who's right and who's wrong. Yeah I get caught up in it also. There's better ways to express oneself than proving someone wrong. Just my thoughts.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not received one yet... But I appreciate the conversation... i bought it thinking it was something it was not.... My wait will now be indefinite because i'm going to try to cancel the order...

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am not questioning anyone's intent....i am questioning whether its worth waiting for.... the answer for me is no...

It's taken so long for these things to make it to people--with no hope insight and more and more details coming out--that i have come to question the purchase in the first place...

That's my update on whether i have received one.... Not only have i not, but i won't.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little background.....
I was having some issues about a year and a half ago. No growth, color etc.
I ran across the moonshiners program and decided to go with it. Best thing I ever did.
I do an ICP test monthly with that. My tank uses a lot of trace elements, potassium one of them.
Potassium is one of those elements that when it's depleted you will find out the hard way.
I can tell by looking at my tank when it's depleted. Everything looks kinda lethargic and loses some color.
In do bi weekly water changes. I don't use two part, three part etc. I run a calcium reactor.
I only test by ICP. Some months it won't use any, some months it uses it. In my opinion potassium should be checked often. It's just as bad when you have too much also.
I'll grab a potassium test kit... see what it does on my tank.. thanks for the response.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
---Snip--
I wanted an automated test every so often with little maintenance, and an alarm function, not daily tests i don't need (no one needs) and frequent maintenance....
--Snip--
I am confused. How would an Alarm function work when it's in Manual mode? I am assuming that with these once weekly manual tests you would be sticking around to see the results?

On the topic of KH Director vs Ion director and complicated setup and use that you mentioned. There is a huge difference as the ion Director is not really dependent on having an exact amount of liquid in the chamber, it just needs the probe to be submerged. So hose lengths and wear in the dosing pumps will not be as critical.

I get where your coming from on wanting something that will last longer if not used often but so far I have seen very few if any testing products that work that way. That annoying expiry date on reagents and reference fluids is always looming.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual mode or not if it's run through the P4 one should be able to get an alarm and it should be able to keep the record of the test. Standalone I'm not quite sure about. It should be able to keep a record though.
The IOND is taking in a water sample and reagent. I'm sure the amount of each comes into play here. Just like your regular test kit. The only difference is all this needs to interact with the probe also. So... Everything needs to work in concert together. It only makes sense hose lengths and dosing strength will come into play. But I guess we'll see.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused. How would an Alarm function work when it's in Manual mode? I am assuming that with these once weekly manual tests you would be sticking around to see the results?

It was pointed out that there is no option in the software to test less than daily. "Manual mode" as you call it can. An alarm function can't (automatically) work in manual mode, though, i agree because you have open the app and hit test... that's not automatic alarms; i was pointing that out not debating it...

It is still unknown if the machine requires daily testing for some reason(?), setting the "manual mode" by entering "0" in the how often to test field is just an end-round to that(?), or ghl purposely does not offer testing less than daily to make you buy more reagent(?).

Since i can't log into my GHL about 50% of the time, and the other 50% of time it's quicker to make ice cream from scratch or it crashes, i prefer just having alarms set on the things... Those software things at least seem to work...

The goal for me is to feed the tank, do routine maintenance as little as possible, and get alarms if something is off...

The ion director not automatically testing less than everyday via the software so i can just get alarms is a deal breaker... I don't desire to test everyday on these paraments because its not necessary and i assume testing that often will just require maintenance/$$$ of the doser/reagent/calibration. In that case, manual testing seems preferable to me...

No longer willing to wait for something that doesn't do what i thought it would. i thought it was a longer lasting probe with simple long lasting reagent... apparently not...

this machine is kinda close to what i want--but no cigar... looking at the mastertronic, canceling this order for ion director, if mastertronic is no bueno than i'll wait a couple years for second generation automated testers

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far there's a lot of speculation on how this thing works without any concrete facts. I'll wait to see before making any decisions. Information from foreign forums is not a reliable source in my book. Sounds like a lot of complaints about the probe and not much else which doesn't bode well.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's a lot of speculation on how this thing works without any concrete facts. I'll wait to see before making any decisions.
Yeah.... I just feel a little bitten by hype though... It would be better for GHL to be clear on these basic functions--how often, or not often, you can test, longevity of reagent, etc.--before taking money on sales and pre-orders. My fault ultimately because i should have looked into it more.... I assumed things i should not have...

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.... I just feel a little bitten by hype though... It would be better for GHL to be clear on these basic functions--how often, or not often, you can test, longevity of reagent, etc.--before taking money on sales and pre-orders. My fault ultimately because i should have looked into it more.... I assumed things i should not have...
We all know GHL isn't good at communicating. And there's people on here that's chain to know all about this thing. I think you're right about the calibration thing and it's probably going to be a process to set this thing up. But....GHL has made quality stuff so far and that's what I'm relying on. I tend to agree with you on their software. It could use an upgrade. One has to figure out what the programmer has in mind to get through it. It can get frustrating. I don't have any trouble getting on my GHL although I need to reset my p4 on occasion as it loses it's memory. You may have a WiFi issue.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R was founded on the simple premise to develop a warm, friendly, suitable place to gather and discuss this hobby for people of all ages, backgrounds, and experience levels. The “Be Nice” policy is something we take very seriously. This can be especially challenging when we perceive trolling activity - please work to separate the problem from the people and focus on addressing the problem.

We highly encourage healthy debate here and understand not everyone will agree on all issues. In fact, we value healthy and even lively discussion of hobby issues and questions...this actually leads to advancements in our hobby, so we ALL win through these debates. What we will not tolerate is the negativity, name calling, belittling attitude towards other members or the topics being discussed. We are not asking you to cease debating your positions. What we are asking is that you do so in a healthy, respectful manner.
Did anyone see this post or did it get skipped over. I can see this thread getting locked soon. I for one, have a vested interest, and would like to continue to see or read updates about delivery.
Does it really matter at this point how often or not a person wants to test, or why they want an IOD?
Bottom line, we all just want to know when we will be receiving it, and if anyone has, how's it working.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone see this post or did it get skipped over. I can see this thread getting locked soon. I for one, have a vested interest, and would like to continue to see or read updates about delivery.
Does it really matter at this point how often or not a person wants to test, or why they want an IOD?
Bottom line, we all just want to know when we will be receiving it, and if anyone has, how's it working.
And we are exactly one week from knowing how true to their word GHL is going to be this time around. I for one will be very disappointed if it doesn't happen again.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree. First time he came we had to turn the music down, second time he came we had to hide the alcohol, and now he’s back a third time to break up a fight. This is the best IOND watch party ever.

Back