Has anyone that pre-ordered seen their ION Director yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill add the solution is 100% with GHL. Stop doing these preorders, missing deadlines for years, creating this situation and then not creating enough supply which would make this issue not exist.
I don't think it would have made a difference in terms of gouging. GHL said from day one that the deliveries would take several months to fulfill.

I think some of the same people that cashed in on the Trident roll out saw that as an opportunity and I would bet a lot of them pre ordered on day one hoping to make a killing from the rich and impatient people like they did with the Trident.

If anything I think the delays probably caused a lot of them to cancel their orders as the big pay day kept getting delayed.
Companies can never make enough of a product to satisfy everybody on day one, except for maybe Apple.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhm… you kind of just described what the coral trade has become recently..hot corals snatched up by big name frag houses and then booger sized frags sold for ridiculous prices with a fancy name, Is it not the same thing.
Yes it is exactly the same thing. The only difference is they are taking on a slightly greater risk of something going wrong.
My wife has been trying to get me a PS5 for my birthday 2 years ago lol. I told her retail price only if she gets one. If I don’t get one then I’ll run PS4 until it no longer functions.
Same here, I am not going to pay more than MSRP for one, even if it takes another year.
I just hope to get my IOND before I can’t afford to stay in this hobby anymore. My order is in the low 4200’s and I haven’t heard a thing.
I know what you mean, I have been looking at the money I spent since Covid and have been thinking that after 37 years I might scale back to a FOWLR. It's a lot cheaper and easier to maintain.
This hobby use to be somewhat expensive but it has now become super expensive. Corals that I paid $50 for in 2005 now sell for nearly $1K.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MSRP, MAP. Who is really going to go after someone selling a single unit?
Technicalities here. Supply and demand rule the economic aspect.
Let them sell it for what they want and let the buyers pay what they want for it.
It's what's going to happen anyway.

One person is annoying. Bots buying up all they can to re sell like with Sony playstations is hard on the average user.

Manufacturers keeping supply low and advertising preorders months on end creates the problem.

Reef2reef doesnt need to help by allowing the ads.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MSRP, MAP. Who is really going to go after someone selling a single unit?
Technicalities here. Supply and demand rule the economic aspect.
Let them sell it for what they want and let the buyers pay what they want for it.
It's what's going to happen anyway.
The only issue for reefers is if non reefers buy so many of them as a speculative investment to resell to others that reefers, for the time period stock is limited, cant really get a unit but from those people. Unlikely, but possible.

GHL that could only curb that.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue for reefers is if non reefers buy so many of them as a speculative investment to resell to others that reefers, for the time period stock is limited, cant really get a unit but from those people. Unlikely, but possible.

GHL that could only curb that.
When this happens I'll be done with reefing.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are people actually buying these at that inflated price?
It's a huge gamble for something that hasn't been proven to work yet.
...........I'm not that mad at my money.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those people pay other people to look after their tanks. They aren't buying.
lol, depends. I am friends with and a have clients with ferrerris or the like. I could afford one, but not my bag. When it comes to their hobbies, buying things they like--they do that personally for sure.. Mostly non-hobbiests with reef tanks--for looks wherever-- would have another buy the equipment.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are people actually buying these at that inflated price?
It's a huge gamble for something that hasn't been proven to work yet.
...........I'm not that mad at my money.

It will work. It isn't that it works, or doesn't work but rather number of tests per day vs probe life.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems rather pointless for many without buying the KH director as well. Alkalinity control is key for acros and similar hard corals.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone that recently received their IONDs care to share initial impressions? Or did they ship with an NDA :)

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work. It isn't that it works, or doesn't work but rather number of tests per day vs probe life.
It is interesting how you do not see accuracy specs on these. "Works" is subjective without specific claims as to how accurate.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting how you do not see accuracy specs on these. "Works" is subjective without specific claims as to how accurate.

I thought they listed the accuracy on their FAQ but I could be mistaken. In my opinion if it isn't able to test at least twice a day there isn't a reason to have automated testing. It can be done manually in a few minutes. The silence with regards to test per day and probe life is the more important thing to understand.

I do hear you though - accuracy or whatever the correct term for + - is just as important.

On a serious note happy to see those who have waited a very long time to start receiving them. Maybe more information will come out now that they are in the "non nda" users hands.

Back