Has anyone that pre-ordered seen their ION Director yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize. It seems that I hijacked this thread to become a KHD thread instead of ION D To get back on track....
Yesterdays ION D readings and todays

Attachments

• ION D Values 1-12.JPG
    ION D Values 1-12.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 141
  • ION D Values 1-13.JPG
    ION D Values 1-13.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 138

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in an ATI ICP test on Tuesday. I'm really excited to see how these match. I don't have any false hopes of anything being identical, mainly because of the different testing methods, but super curious. This also brings a thought back when GHL asked what we would like to see measured on the ION D.... Besides Phosphate/Phosphorus, I would have really wished I had said Iodine! (Iodine, Iodide, Iodate, whichever) Every time that I get an ICP test back, Iodine is always low. After I adjust my Iodine, my coral tissues thicken, color up brighter and grow like crazy... for a while. I need to calculate my dosing here. I'm a bit wary just because of the toxicity. If any GHL people are reading, IODINE PLEASE! :D

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Final point as I don’t want to hijack this either, but it’s easy for the KHD to know how much fluid is in the chamber, by making sure is is empty. That is what I think it does, it primes the lines and some overflows into the chamber. It then empties the chamber so that it is empty, then it can pump in exactly the required sample volume. The sample tube volume would only be needed to make sure that it is completely purging the sample line.

Anyway, back to the ION director!!!

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays ION D Values:
Note: Sensor Performance reads 99% (I expect it to go back up to 100%) According to GHL as the probe gets close to end of life it will drop rapidly as they still need to adjust the calculations for that. Closed my ticket with GHL

Attachments

• ION D Values 1-14.JPG
    ION D Values 1-14.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Probe life 1-14.JPG
    Probe life 1-14.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 117

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s great to see these out and being used however hopefully the next big leap is a probe that does all this and more. Not measuring alkalinity as well is a spoiler.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s great to see these out and being used however hopefully the next big leap is a probe that does all this and more. Not measuring alkalinity as well is a spoiler.
Or phosphate either. Along with specific gravity that needs yet another conversion.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cabinetman said:
Or phosphate either. Along with specific gravity that needs yet another conversion.

You all might be expecting a bit much from one probe. :D

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lack of Phosphate testing could be the deal-breaker for me. I don’t know how difficult it is to measure PO4 with the ION probe, so maybe there’s a reason why it’s not included. However, if someone asked me what were the most commonly (and frequently) tested parameters, my answer would be Alk, Ca, PO4, Nitrate and Mg. Potassium wouldn’t be on the list of must haves for an automatic tester (I do manually test that, but only once a month or so).

If I did get the Ion director to go alongside my KHD, then I would still be manually testing PO4 every couple of days, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shredded
Hi
I just preparing a setup of an ion director. I thought that I should connect the vent tube (on the backside) to my waste container because I will use this as an mobile station. Have you notice any large amount waste from the vent line?

Sincerely Lasse

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of Phosphate testing could be the deal-breaker for me. I don’t know how difficult it is to measure PO4 with the ION probe, so maybe there’s a reason why it’s not included. However, if someone asked me what were the most commonly (and frequently) tested parameters, my answer would be Alk, Ca, PO4, Nitrate and Mg. Potassium wouldn’t be on the list of must haves for an automatic tester (I do manually test that, but only once a month or so).

If I did get the Ion director to go alongside my KHD, then I would still be manually testing PO4 every couple of days, which kind of defeats the purpose.
No, agreed, phosphate/phosphorus definitely needs to be added. And I wouldn’t have a clue on what it would take to do it with a probe. Truthfully sodium wouldn’t have been one of my choices but iodine, would have have been great.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's extremely tricky to measure phosphate in marine environment. The phosphate ions are trivalent (3+). They get a lot of interference from other ions present in seawater.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shredded
Hi
I just preparing a setup of an ion director. I thought that I should connect the vent tube (on the backside) to my waste container because I will use this as an mobile station. Have you notice any large amount waste from the vent line?

Sincerely Lasse
No, I actually ran it that way for the first week. Both went to the drain until I made some modifications to my dosing ports on my sump and added another port. If you have an auto top off like I do , and you are running the KHD, and IOND, you might just watch your salinity as it will gradually start slipping.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shredded
Hi

Sincerely Lasse
Hi Lasse: have you already got your IOND?

I was told that the first units to Spain would be sent last week but it has not arrived yet.

Thanks

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I actually ran it that way for the first week. Both went to the drain until I made some modifications to my dosing ports on my sump and added another port. If you have an auto top off like I do , and you are running the KHD, and IOND, you might just watch your salinity as it will gradually start slipping.
One way to overcome this is if you are doing auto water changes, you can program your fill pump/doser, like in my case a Maxi Doser to add "X" amount of new salt water to compensate for the waste water the KHD or IOND puts down the drain.
It's been said, that people are also just returning the waste water on the KHD to their sump without any issues. I believe the IOND can return to the sump also. I don't think I'd try this on a small system, nor one that doesn't do AWC.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lasse: have you already got your IOND?

I was told that the first units to Spain would be sent last week but it has not arrived yet.

Thanks
Yes - we got our pre ordered unit last friday. It is for my job but I set it up and configure it at home and will transfer it over to my job late the week or next week. First impression is good - but it is also some tricks before you learn to handle new equipment. Will set it to run some analyses on a daily schedule on my own aquarium for a couple of days.

Sincerely Lasse

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One way to overcome this is if you are doing auto water changes, you can program your fill pump/doser, like in my case a Maxi Doser to add "X" amount of new salt water to compensate for the waste water the KHD or IOND puts down the drain.
It's been said, that people are also just returning the waste water on the KHD to their sump without any issues. I believe the IOND can return to the sump also. I don't think I'd try this on a small system, nor one that doesn't do AWC.
Well, i am only returning the flush back to the sump. The test sample goes down the drain but I designed all that in to the tank room, so I have a drain and everything I need proximally located. My water change system won’t work that way so I can’t do that. It changes exactly one gallon at a time.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - we got our pre ordered unit last friday. It is for my job but I set it up and configure it at home and will transfer it over to my job late the week or next week. First impression is good - but it is also some tricks before you learn to handle new equipment. Will set it to run some analyses on a daily schedule on my own aquarium for a couple of days.

Sincerely Lasse
Great! Please, let us know how those analyses come out.

Mine just arrived, but I will not be able to pick it up until next Saturday. Hopefully I'll be able to install it by Sunday.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the priming - each channel should be primed until you see actual liquid coming out from the waste channel - not only up to the inlet of the channel - at least - that´s my experiences.

Sincerely Lasse

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the priming - each channel should be primed until you see actual liquid coming out from the waste channel - not only up to the inlet of the channel - at least - that´s my experiences.

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you Lasse. Are you throwing away the liquid coming out from the waste channel or you may discard it in the sump?

Back